Washington Bass/Warm Water Lake - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
RB Drifter
Tuna!

Default Washington Bass/Warm Water Lake

I have some friends that live in the Seattle area who come down camping with me on the summer holidays. It is my turn to go up north fishing. They are a married couple who I served with and he just retired from the Navy. They are not familiar with the fishing in Washington.

Where is a good warmwater fishery in Washington that is 3 hour or less from Portland? Have a boat with small kicker if that helps.

Could someone pm a couple of good Wa. websites that might help out in my search?

Thanks for the help!

RB Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Dan360
Sturgeon

Default Re: Washington Bass/Warm Water Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Drifter View Post
I have some friends that live in the Seattle area who come down camping with me on the summer holidays. It is my turn to go up north fishing. They are a married couple who I served with and he just retired from the Navy. They are not familiar with the fishing in Washington.

Where is a good warmwater fishery in Washington that is 3 hour or less from Portland? Have a boat with small kicker if that helps.

Could someone pm a couple of good Wa. websites that might help out in my search?

Thanks for the help!
Lake Washington, right there in Seattle, has great smallmouth fishing. Lake Tapps, just south of Seattle near Puyallup has smallies and tiger muskies. Any number of lakes in the area have largemouth. I've PM'd you a site to check out.

TEAM PURIST
Dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
RB Drifter
Tuna!

Thanks Dan for the suggestions. This will be a camping/fishing trip. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
sbasser
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Drifter View Post
Thanks Dan for the suggestions. This will be a camping/fishing trip. Any other suggestions?
You can camp at Lk. Sammamish State Park and launch there to fish Lk. Sammamish, and it's just a short drive to Lk. Washington (launch just across the E. Channel bridge on Mercer Island). Good for smallies. On Sam. I like the NE shore, from "Seaplane Bay" and up. There's a good point on the opposite shore, too. It's not one of my favorites. Lots of dangerous boaters and jetski operators that don't know the rightaway rules. You can also camp at Saltwater State Park and fish Puget Sound. I think you're allowed to camp 3 days at State Parks, and they make you move on, but could be an old reg.

There's a KOA in Kent, and probably KOA's elsewhere. There's also Lk. Sawyer in E. Kent, which can be good, but I think is mostly over-pressured. They also charge to launch your boat at all these places, tho I can point you at a free launch in Lk. Washington, if you're interested. We put our canoe in there sometimes, but launch the bass boat at Coulon (Renton) or Mercer Island.

Some of the better LM lakes are electric only, IMO. Most of the small lakes are electric only, but you can still have the gas motor on the boat, because it's a County Ordinance, not a DF&W reg. Most only have LM, no SM, but a few do. I can point you at a little lake in E. Auburn that always gives up some LM, but nothing over 2.5 lbs so far. No jetskis or BS, tho, and launch is ok & free, because it's DF&W. There's also a crumby DF&W launch at Lk. Meridian in E. Kent, but there is waterskiing and jetskis to put up with. Lk. Tapps is a tough lake, and the launches are expensive. If you want to send me a PM, feel free.
C&R, Steve

Last edited by sbasser; 02-06-2011 at 08:55 PM.
sbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
tnj8222
Tuna!

That's not true sbasser. You can not leave a gas outboard on the boat when putting in a electric only lake.
tnj8222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
sbasser
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnj8222 View Post
That's not true sbasser. You can not leave a gas outboard on the boat when putting in a electric only lake.
No gas engine IF it's a State DF&G regulation for that water. If it's a County regulation, then you can leave the gas engine on the boat, and put it in the water, but not run it. All the electric-only lakes I know about in the Seattle area are County regulation lakes...Spring, Desire, Shadow, Shady, Holms, Doloff, North, Beaver, Pine, etc. are ok as long as you don't have the big engine running. The Sammamish Slough is NOT legal with a big motor on the boat, but I'm not certain if it's closed to fishing or not. It used to be closed to fishing. C&R, Steve
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
tnj8222
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasser View Post
No gas engine IF it's a State DF&G regulation for that water. If it's a County regulation, then you can leave the gas engine on the boat, and put it in the water, but not run it. All the electric-only lakes I know about in the Seattle area are County regulation lakes...Spring, Desire, Shadow, Shady, Holms, Doloff, North, Beaver, Pine, etc. are ok as long as you don't have the big engine running. The Sammamish Slough is NOT legal with a big motor on the boat, but I'm not certain if it's closed to fishing or not. It used to be closed to fishing. C&R, Steve
dollof yes. But once agsin your wrong and gonna get somebody a ticket. I dare you to put a gas motor on any of those lakes except dollof. I doubt highly you can on pine especially since trailored boats are a big no,no.

You are partly right about county rules though.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
sbasser
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnj8222 View Post
dollof yes. But once agsin your wrong and gonna get somebody a ticket. I dare you to put a gas motor on any of those lakes except dollof. I doubt highly you can on pine especially since trailored boats are a big no,no.

You are partly right about county rules though.

When I was a member of WBC, this question was put to Chris Sargent, who is a fisheries biologist and sometimes works for the DF&W. He knew people, and knew how to get the answer. He reported back that if it was a County Ordinance, then the gas engine was ok as long as you didn't run it. Apparently, theory is (or was) that if it's not running, it's just ballast.

Tonight, I looked into the King County Ordinances to try to clarify this point, but didn't find the complete wording for what they meant. They must have it in detail somewhere, but it seems pretty hopeless when you actually try. I stopped by Lk. Desire to see the signs and launch. The road in there has changed a lot, and the sign is different than I remember.

If the lake was ruled "no gas engines" by the DF&W, then you absolutely cannot have an outboard on the boat, period. Nothing says you can't have a can of gasoline aboard, which would make some sense. I don't know of any lakes in the Seattle area (keeping in mind that Sno.Co., King Co. and Pierce Co. go East to the crests of the Cascades) that are ruled "no gas engines" by the DF&W. But then, the regs change every friggin' year, and what is legal this year may not have been last year, & vs. versa...

Agreed on Pine lake...launching through the park would be a bad experience anyway, because there's really no launch, just a gravel beach. I have put my canoe in there. They don't open early. Don't think there is any other place to launch. There are Smallies, tho.

That's one of my gripes about Tapps...the park launch doesn't open early, and then it's filled with ski boats. And it closes at "dusk", which is not a precise definition. We got yelled at by the goober at the park one night because it was getting dark...but it wasn't that late, just a bit of a storm coming in. The day before, we could have put another hour on the water. They should define it by sunrise/sunset, which is accurate to the minute, printed in the newspaper every day, and doesn't change by an hour from day to day. Maybe they do now.

FWIW, I HAVE put my bass boat (150 hp) on some of those lakes. North Lake, Holms and Desire for sure, maybe others. Just didn't run it. No problem, but was some years ago. Maybe they have changed the regs, but the DF&W has no budget to give folks tickets for anything. I doubt if the Sheriff's office does, either. DF&W enforcement officers are commissioned as State Police, you know. When they're told to go do drunk control at the concerts at "The Gorge at George", they have to go. Doesn't seem right, does it?

Once, I launched on Holms (the bass boat, 150 hp), and when I came out, I noticed something shining under the boat. Took another look. It was the alloy wheel/spare on the tailgate of a Jeep Wrangler. It was nose down, butt up, just off the ramp, and I ran the boat right over it (on TM) when I launched, but didn't notice. There was a guy on shore fishing, so I asked if he had a cell phone. No, but he went home and called the Sheriff's, and came back. I could read the license number on the plate, so wrote it down and gave it to the Deputy when he showed up. He didn't say a word about my boat, OBTW, but ran the plate number I gave him and said it had been reported stolen. Joyriding teens...

I put my first boat (14' skiff, 25 merc) into most of those "electric only" lakes often, but didn't run the Merc, and had absolutely no issues. Put in a lot of hours on Beaver and North Lake. Beaver still had an 8mph speed limit sign...'splain that! I put that boat into Lk. Cassidy once, which has/had a 15 hp maximum HP rating for outboards...just didn't run it. No problem. Not to say that the rules might not have changed, but I don't know why they would have, either. Lately, I mostly go to Lk. WA or over the hump. Sometimes with the big boat, sometimes the canoe. I can launch the canoe for free on Lk. WA...can't do that with the big boat.

Meanwhile...I'll see what I can find out from Chris Sargent. Should I point out that we don't know if the guy who started this thread even has a boat? Bank fishing is pretty much impossible around these parts. A float tube or 'toon could be useful, but I like my canoe real well. It keeps me pretty dry, most the time, and will zip around pretty well on just a few granola bars and some Gator Aid! C&R, Steve
Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
tnj8222
Tuna!

good info. If you get ahold of chris let us know, would be cool if I could put my bassboat in a couple of lakes
Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
RB Drifter
Tuna!

Thanks guys for the info. I also have an electric as well, that I can use instead of the 6hp. So camping and fishing on one lake, people coming from Bremerton and Portland what lake would you recommend? Looking to camp, fish and have a few beers on one lake where we don't have to drive. Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
sbasser
Chromer

I put some emails out to see if anybody I knew thought it was illegal to put a boat with gas outboard into any of the King County "electric only" lakes. Everybody does it, without running the big engine, and has no problems. I must emphasize, however, that IF the State DF&W says a lake is "Electric Only" are specific...NO MOTORS ON THE BOAT, while County rules are not so stringent. I am NOT about to call the County and ask them if it is or is not legal, because they might get the idea that they should change the status quo. Our club T.Director made the mistake of asking the City of Ocean Shores if we needed a city permit to have a club T on Duck Lake. "Oh, that's a good idea!" and they created a permit.

As for camping, fishing, and drinking beer on one lake...I'm thinking that the State Park rules ban alcoholic beverages...tho you know everybody does it. My opinion is that those rules are so they can throw you out if you are over-indulging and causing a problem. If you're fairly subtle about it, I really wouldn't expect a problem. One of those huge insulated coffee mugs would be perfect.

On Lk. Sammamish, there is the State Park (SE corner) and at least one Private campground (SW corner). The private campground would allow alcohol. The stupid thing is that they have a Limited Hydro race out of the State Park, complete with a beer garden. Those who pay the bill for the permits get to do what they want, yet again, while Joe Fisher gets busted for having a beer while he's polishing his hydro blaster in the parking lot.

On Lk. Sawyer, there is a private campground, but it may require a membership. I'm not aware of any other lakes that contain bass, and allow camping, in King Co. More likely in Snohomish, Pierce and Thurston Counties.

I would recommend Lake Goodwin (West of Smokey Point/Arlington), but it seems out of your target area. There's a State Park at Goodwin, and there are a bunch of lakes in the area...Shoecraft, Ki, and some others. Goodwin and Shoecraft are spooky clear... C&R, Steve
Old 03-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
addictedtofishing
Coho

If you're not looking for large bodies of water to fish, check out Deep Lake just south of Olympia. They have a nice campground and there is a very small lake there that fishes good at times. Also within a few minutes of there is the larger Black Lake and Offut Lakes which have good trout, LMB, and SMB. There is another decent one McIntach (?) close to Tenino that you could drive to. Black Lake gets a lot skiing in the summer though. Olympia itself is littered with dozens of small public lakes that all hold good LMB. But if your looking for good camping too, Deep lake would at least be worth looking in to to see if it was a good fit for you and you could drive to larger lakes if that is what you were looking to fish.
addictedtofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
wameppspro
Steelhead

First of all, I'm not sure how much stock I would put into what someone "who sometimes works for WDFW" says about regulations. I would probably rely more on what the regulations say.

Page 18 of 2010/2011 Sportfishing Rules Pamphlet

"Equipped with a motor" - A motor is attached to the floating device, regardless of whether the motor is in the water.

"Internal combustion engine" - Meams fishing from a floating device equipped with an internal combustin motor is not allowed.

When it says no motor/no combustion engine, it seems pretty simple. If all else fails, follow the regs.
wameppspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
sbasser
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wameppspro View Post
First of all, I'm not sure how much stock I would put into what someone "who sometimes works for WDFW" says about regulations. I would probably rely more on what the regulations say.

Page 18 of 2010/2011 Sportfishing Rules Pamphlet

"Equipped with a motor" - A motor is attached to the floating device, regardless of whether the motor is in the water.

"Internal combustion engine" - Meams fishing from a floating device equipped with an internal combustin motor is not allowed.

When it says no motor/no combustion engine, it seems pretty simple. If all else fails, follow the regs.
Seems like that should be good advise, but it isn't. There are DF&W regs and there are County Ordinances. They're different. For one thing, if a lake is Electric Only by County Ordinance, it's not listed in the DF&W "Special Rules" section as Electric Only. It's goofy, but that's government for you. In the case of the County Ordinances, if it's not running, it's ballast. Big, expensive, good looking, but ballast, none the less.
C&R, Steve