Taxes!!!! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-30-2002, 05:41 PM   #1
sinker
Tuna!

Default Taxes!!!!

I think we should forget about this flat tax stuff. Go to a sales tax across the board!!!

That way there's no hiding income, people under the table, illegal immigrants, everybody would have to pay taxes then.

Plus it would encourage people to save their money!!

I never did like Forbes's idea of a 17% flat tax, that would totally ream me!!!!

sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 05:36 AM   #2
TheRogue
King Salmon

Default Re: Taxes!!!!

We often talk about sales tax being the answer to our problems. And yes, that idea has some merit, without a doubt. But, as we've seen recently, a sales tax doesn't fix the problem either....a prolonged period of economic slowing hurts the collection of sales taxes, no-one buys anything if they're not working.

Oregon's one of the two?? states that doesn't have a sales tax.....If you look at the states that are in trouble financially(about 8, I think, according to news reports), I believe they all have one thing in common. NO RAINY DAY FUND!!! These other states have sales taxes, but they aren't any better off than we are!!

I read a report in the CNN business section recently about how some states who rely solely on sales taxes look at Oregon for a model, because of the varied tax base that we have! I submit that our problem is NOT the income tax, it's caused by the out of control growth in state government (caused by BOTH parties), property tax measures (Measure 5, putting the school funding burden on the general fund), PERS, and the lack of a rainy day fund!!

One of the most common gripes from the Republican Party is that the government should be run more like a business. In many ways, I agree....most importantly, accountability. However, most of the small businesses I know of, and all the large ones, have a cash reserve.....a "rainy day" fund. So who kills the idea of such a fund each and every year??? Yup, you got it!!

As for flat tax, yes, in a perfect world, it makes sense....but we know better. There will just be new types of tax shelters for the rich, and new tax credits for the poor, and those of us in the middle will continue to get shafted.

My rant for the day, time to go to work.

TR
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:46 PM   #3
Keta

I just got taxed $104 for my drivers licns. Plus a $70 physical
Old 10-02-2002, 05:33 PM   #4
TheRogue
King Salmon

Keta........is that what they cost nowadays??
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:15 PM   #5
sinker
Tuna!

I see what you're saying about the economy slowdown effecting sales and therefore effecting how much is rolling in in tax dollars. At the same time all of those laid off people aren't paying any taxes in right now either.

If Keta needed a physical I've got a feeling he's got a CDL which costs more than a regular license.
sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:13 PM   #6
Keta

Sinker,
I also had to pay more due to my previous CDL being an Alaskan one. :depressed:
Old 10-02-2002, 11:18 PM   #7
abercrombie
Steelhead

I still say, "Cut Taxes, vote NO on all Levies"... downsize government and make them ACCOUNTABLE. Our tax money would go a lot farther if it wasn't being squanderred away by politicians with free reign..
abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote