Where did you get started bass fishing? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 02-14-2002, 07:10 AM   #1
Jellyhead
Chromer

Default Where did you get started bass fishing?

I was curious where everyone got started fishing for bass. As a kid we had a farm pond about 5 miles from our house that we would ride our bikes to and ask the owners if we could fish. They were really nice people and let us fish any time. We would catch fish after fish, nothing big, maybe a 1 1/2lber but it was fun. Topwaters were the norm. Those fish would hit anything.

I would watch the "bassmasters" on TV on sundays, and save my allowance to go buy whatever lure was working on the tv show, if I could find it. Then go the next weekend and try it out. It always worked, those fish were easy, and sure built my confidence as a kid. One of my good friends in school was from Texas, so bass were the only thing he knew how to fish for.

Later, when I got a car and a job, I quit bass fishing and started chasing salmon and steelhead, as far as my old car, and limited cash supply would get me. Now I own a bass boat, funny how things go full circle.

Aaron

Jellyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 07:36 AM   #2
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

Default Re: Where did you get started bass fishing?

I got started fishing and old Gravel pit near my home we would go there and fish then as i got older we would fish the delta area of California now we are talking prime bass water i was kinda spoiled two years ago i moved to Oregon got introduced to salmon and steelies and well for two year i have been chasing them but all of a sudden this year i got the itching to catch some Oregon bass so this spring hear we go.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:18 AM   #3
Wannabe
Chromer

I can also remember when I was a kid ridding my bike 3 miles to fish a pond in Hillsboro that was awesome. Then as I grew I fished for everything in season. When I first got a job in Corvallis we used to go to Siltcoos for perch and one day saw these boats screaming accross the lake and asked a bud what was going on and he didn't have a clue. Asked the owner of Ada's and they said it was a bass tourney. I knew then I wanted to try it. The addiction has just gotten worse and worse. I love going out on the river and not seeing as many boats as you would salmon/steelhead fishing. Especially on the upper river. We have so many smallies around here. Praise the Lord.
&lt))><
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 09:03 AM   #4
BuKuBass
Tuna!

Often, while working a top-water under a full moon, I'll recall those long-past nights riding my bike to Copeland's pond to battle those bass. I'd pitch a red and white Hula Popper into an open spot in the weeds, wait for the ripples to die down and give it a soft "bloop." Occasionally I'd discern a V-shaped wake approaching and tell myself, "Wait until you feel the fish before you set the hook." A loud "SPLASH" would shatter the night's calm and the fight was on! "Zzzt, zzzzzz" sang the Mitchell 300 accompanied by "ping" as the weeds strummed the line. "If I can get him into the open, he's mine." Finally when I beached it, there was such a feeling of pure, innocent pride. That's when I realized, "This is too much fun to only happen once." That's when I began practicing catch and release. And outside of an occasional "fillet'of'**** ", I still do.

[ 02-14-2002, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: BuKuBass ]
Old 02-14-2002, 09:07 AM   #5
BuKuBass
Tuna!

**** rhymes with "pink". C'mon, Jennie, you've got to allow us this one.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:15 AM   #6
lightline
Steelhead

Im born and raised in Ore. Dad started me at a very early age fly fishing for trout, from there I went to steelhead and salmon (not on the fly). As a young adult I started bass fishing evey once in awhile,but my main fish was the steelhead. About 15 years ago I met a man and his son on a little lake out of corvallis. The man "wannabe" and I soon became great friends and he got me started in tournament fishing for bass. Iv'e had a great time, met some great people, made good friends. I like fishing the California Delta, Clear Lake,Shasta Oreville, the costal lakes in Ore. the res. The rivers. The large mouth, small mouth, the spots, Hey I love it all.
lightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 02:09 PM   #7
Tanner
Ifish Nate

Grew up on Lake Oswego. When I was 13 my Dad bought us a 9' Livingston with a 7.5 Merc on it. That first summer we had that boat a friend of mine would meet me three times a week before the crack of dawn and we would head out for a morning of bass fishing. The biggest largemouth I ever caught out of there was 7 1/2 lbs. We mainly fished crankbaits back then and quite a few times we were suprised that that bass that smashed a crankbait was actually crappie in the 2 - 3 lb range.

People may make fun of that lake but there are some huge fish in there and a lot of them. I knew of one cove that I would anchor up in the middle of and start dropping a crappie jig towards the bottom. I don't think I ever got to feel my jig hit the bottom because there were so many yellow perch that holed up in there. (Some to 16").

Team Motion Marine Outback Fishing Machine Division)
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 03:31 AM   #8
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

Tanner I have herd people say that the lake had good fish in it I can only imagine some of the bass fishing of the boat docks I would love to get out in a boat on that lake but it is mostly private land around it there are a few spots where a bankie can fish but not as many as would be nice.
Ryan
Old 02-15-2002, 04:16 AM   #9
Cutter
Steelhead

The very first largemouth bass I ever caught was on this little pond just off of I-5 in Chehalis. I caught her... um I mean him on an old bamboo fly rod. I remember the fly was almost bigger than he was, a whopping 3 inches.

I did most of my fishing on Silver lake near Castlerock though. That's been some 12+ years since I have been there. Ah memories.

Funny thing is I don't remember my trout, salmon, or pan fish. But I remember my first cat, and both small and large mouth bass. Funny.

Do you remember your first?

member #1130
Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 08:25 AM   #10
hawgcatcher
Tuna!

My first fishing attempts were off the boat docks under the courthouse in Oregon City. Many of us kids would take worms and corn and catch carp. What a rush for us to catch a big one. We would take them up to the Chinese cafe on main street and sell them for $.15 each. Our first attempt at tournament fishing I guess.

With the money that I got, I bought a jitterbug and a hula popper and a few spinners. I was all ready for bass. I caught several off the rocks on the Willamette from the courthouse to the mouth of the Clackamas. At that time there were only largemouth, crappie (by the sack full) and bluegill.

I then learned about salmon and steelhead. We would walk through the paper mill and fish off the rocks at the edge of the falls for them. Summer came and we then learned about a fish called the shad. No one but us kids ever fished for them. We found too that when the water was low, we caught hundreds of crappie from the same rocks. We would catch some bass too. Up above the mill, we spotted large bass in the mill pond. We would fish for them and we caught several but lost many more because we had to hoist them up 10 to 15 feet. What a ball for us.

Then we found an area five miles upriver from Oregon City, called Rock Island. It was a series of inlets off the main river. We would pour over these islands, fighting the poison oak and yellow jackets but we caught fish. Bass, crappie and bluegill abounded. There were log rafts in some of these sloughs. During the spring, when the bass were spawning, they would find a log end that was just under the surface a foot or so. They would lay their eggs on them. We would cast a hula popper into these holes in the logs. Bang, a bass would hit and we had a battle to keep them from swimming down through the logs and escaping. What a blast.

These experiences stuck with me and my love of bass fishing grew as I became an adult. I joined the USAF and was assigned to Fairchild AFB, WA. My bass fishing grew while there, but that is another story.

My only wish is that there were still some largemouth around. It seems as all that I catch now are Smallies. Fun, but I miss the largemouth.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:40 PM   #11
Ramstrong
Tuna!

I grew up on tenmile lake on the coast. Bass fishing was the name of the game in spring and summer. Bass feared my family dock for years after I left. Just now they're starting to come back. Once I turned 16 the 16' starcraft with 20 horse merc and minn kota on the front became the bass fishing machine. My buddy and I sore lipped countless bass from it. Now I pretty much exclusively fish for Salmon and Steelhead.
Team "Lawbreaker"

ramstrong@hotmail.com
Ramstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 03:16 PM   #12
rob allen
King Salmon

Well from reading this post it appears I am in the minority. I grew up on the banks of the Washougal river fishing for salmon and steelhead. Although I have vague fantasies about chasing bass in southern waters. maybe fishing golden shiners under a float in Florida or chugging a hula popper through some lilly pads somewhere else in the south.
It wasn't until I was in my 20's and the steelhead runs collapsed that I seriously considered bass an option. One day a friend of mine handed me a copy of "Fishing Holes" in it was an article about fishing for bass in the Columbia river gorge. There was a picture of a guy holding a 6lb largemouth by the lip with a white spinnerbait hanging from it's lips. The next weekend I was there loaded with rapalas, crankbaits and white spinnerbaits and whadyaknow I caught bass.. Over the next few years I fished more and more met friends with boats and fished even more. I was on the verge of buying a bassboat and starting the whole tournament thing, even considering the possibility of fishing national tournaments if i could get good enough, but I got laid off and bought a spey rod. That and the fact that steelhead opportunities were getting a little better I all but quit bass fishing. Now i spend a few days after bass in the spring and make 1 or two trips a summer up the gorge for smallies. I love that bass fishing is a highly technical type of fishing but it aint steelhead fly fishing.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:49 AM   #13
Jellyhead
Chromer

I agree with you rob,

There are few things that are as personally satisfying as casting a fly rod for steelhead and being good at it. I used to fish my fly rod alot for winter fish. But, I tend to go through periods were I cant't bass fish enough one year, then the next it's all steelhead and salmon. Take this year for instance, with the awesome steelhead and salmon runs, bass fishing has taken a serious back seat. I imagine in the next couple of years when the runs slack off some, the bass boat will see more action.

But, bass fishing is just as you said, Technical. It's not as graceful as a double spey cast, any way look at it. I rarely fall into the mental trance bass fishing that I get fly casting. You know the cast, mend, swing, step... do it again. Then, while I'm usually daydreaming, a fish will grab my fly just as I'm about to cast again. I can't say I've ever been caught off gaurd bass fishing, It's a lot more intense for me.

BTW, I don't care if we fish lacamas or silver this spring. I've been on lacamas once, and have a better Idea where to start there than on silver.

Aaron
Jellyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 02:14 PM   #14
casteal
Coho

In 1973 I had to cancel my vacation backpacking trip because of Jefferson wilderness was still snowed in. Ended up calling Oregon Bass and panfish information line and meeting Jack Webster. Great man and a good friend. He told me of his favorite small lake and told me to keep it secret. I guess he told everyone that called the same thing, because it alway has somebody on it. It is still my favorite lake. Bet you can guess Aaron! It's on the way home from Cullaby lake.

Cullaby Jim
casteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 04:44 PM   #15
dgass
Cutthroat

I was raised in Eugene and never fished for Bass until I joined the Navy and moved to Virginia. I had 2 friends both from Louisiana and according to them there are no other species of fish. So I decided to have them teach me the ways of bass fishing. I remember I was dragging a rattle trap behind the boat as we were crossing to the other side of the river and caught a bass. I thought great, my southern friend said, ”Quick that Yankee fishing in my boat, someone might see you!!!” [img]graemlins/icon_argue.gif[/img] Oh well when in Rome fish like the Romans. I learned a lot from them and have loved bass fishing ever since.
dgass
:smile:
dgass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 06:08 PM   #16
id'er
Cutthroat

I grew up in the country near Silverton. My friends and I hit the Pudding River daily for bass, cutthroat, bluegill and carp. I remember the day I caught my first bass...#4 Blue Fox with a white tail. It's amazing how vivid the memories are of fishing.

We also frequented a half dozen local irrigation ponds. It seemed like the bass hit anything in the ponds. Around 14 we discovered the Abiqua and Silver Creek for the native steelhead and silvers.
id'er is offline   Reply With Quote