The Jim Conway Show - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-15-2005, 01:54 AM   #1
Roostertail
Chromer

Default The Jim Conway Show

Does anyone remember the Jim Conway Show?

Old 11-15-2005, 02:18 AM   #2
AnnaDraMoss
Sturgeon

Default Re: The Jim Conway Show

My father shared his duck blind a few times with Jim on Sauvies Island in the 50's.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #3
SEAWEED PETE
Chromer

I used to think Jim was going to have a heart attack on every small trout he caught. " Got a big one on ( huff puff )"
Old 11-15-2005, 06:04 AM   #4
guitgary
Steelhead

I certainly do remember and have often wondered what everhappened to him. I remember him inthe early 60's. He was always huffing and puffing. Can't still be alive...can he?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
Wreckless
King Salmon

My old neighbor used to call him: Ol' breathe hard!!!

Fun shows

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:56 AM   #6
DriftR
Tuna!

Jim was constant on the Deschutes. As well as the Clackamas and other local rivers. I heard he was killed in a car accident. He had some great shows and was one of the early pioneers in TV fishing shows. That would be gr8 if they brought back some of his shows.
DriftR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
Roostertail
Chromer

I wanted to ask this question because when I was young my Grandmother Hillyer took me and my Dad fishing on her boat. I was 9 years old. We were just approching the Columbia from the Willamette, My Grandmother yeld at my Dad, "Eldon" you change sides with Greg" I really remember all this very well. My Dad put it off and again she this t time got mad yelling "Eldon you change sides with Greg, He's going to get a big one. We Switched and as soon as I sat down WAM, my pull hit hard. I took it and played the fish for 45 minites. My Grandpa was with us and told my Dad to take the poll, but I remember my Dad saying if he looses it he'll loose it. I brought it up to the boat then my Grandpa took the poll from me and my Grandmother took the net and pulled it on the deck. It was 46lbs. very Bright! This was my first Salmon. I wanted to tell you this story because my Grandmother Hillyer was on the Jim Conway show as the Queen of the Willamette River. I wish I could post a photo of this fish, I have one in a slide with it's mouth open wide and me looking down it. This salmon's mouth was big enough for my head to fit in.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
doogie
Coho

When I was a little kid... 1973 or so jim did a goose hunting show with my dad and his guide partner, Jerry Cale and Bob Macpherson. My Dad passed away 3 yrs ago and I found his old 35mm tape of the show and had it put on vhs. It was great to see it and you are all right Jim looks and sounds like he is about to have a heart attack....
Old 11-15-2005, 03:57 PM   #9
Chinookjinxd
Tuna!

My Dad knew Jim Farley well according to him the cause of Jims Death was a heart attack.
Chinookjinxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #10
Norski
Sturgeon

My dad delivered his mail to his house for many a many year, my dad got to know him very well, and when I bugged my dad to go fishing he would say call Jim, see where the fish are at, I never called him, but I did end up with some old plugs he used, and for the time some riggens, dad knew him for about 20 years, we would watch his shows, I was about 14 when I caught a 28 pound salmon with some thing he gave me, and dad took a picture of it, gave it to jim, and it's the last I saw of it.
being a young man in the 50's and fishing the Sandy, Wilson, Trask, and there was almost no one around, NOT TODAY.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #11
Angler of Repose
Tuna!

Nice fish! Nice fish! Oh...about four or five pounds.
Angler of Repose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:47 PM   #12
DAB
King Salmon

We called him old Huff and Puff.
DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:51 PM   #13
bronc
Steelhead

yes i remember jim conway well an loved to watch his shows i posted sbout this thread awhile back ,my son an i was just getting into steelhead fishing good when jims shows was running , i met him a few times in his sled on the nf lewis , one day i looked in his boat an there was a 5 gallon bucket of egg skeins , he must of caught alot of fish . one show i remember jim was in alaska hunting kodiak bear with a 44 magnum revolver an he killed one with it,also he would pull out a coleman stove an cook up steelhead right on the river bank .
bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #14
rob allen
King Salmon

I remember a winter steelhead trip they did on the Kalama. bbqed a fish right there in the rocks and ate it with their fingers... looked yummie

the rumor I was told about his death was that it was a car wreck and his suburban went over the edge up at cape horn on HWY 14..
Old 11-15-2005, 07:18 PM   #15
Thumper
King Salmon

Quote:
the rumor I was told about his death was that it was a car wreck and his suburban went over the edge up at cape horn on HWY 14..
The rumor is correct. I knew Jim fairly well and used to marvel at his ability to pull steelhead from Fontana's drift on the NFL. A real gentleman. I miss him.

Time for CCA to now start focusing on cormorants and Caspian terns. Let's save a few million smolts!

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:23 PM   #16
Bluto
Chromer

Those shows were great. My dad & I used to watch them. Jim's son was a local hockey coach & a great guy who died too darn early from a mysterious death.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:11 PM   #17
Fish mojo
Tuna!

"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
Fish mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #18
Lowranger
Coho

I've got a signed copy of a book he authored. I believe it's titled, "Lucky Jims Fishin' Holes". I think he signed it for my dad at the sportsmans show. In storage somewhere. I remember his fishing show. KATU ? Also, the first Toyota Landcruiser I ever saw was in a commercial there. I can still see it rumbling along. And remember the music too. Memories...
Lowranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:17 PM   #19
Paddlefish
Chromer

Jim's original "Outdoor Sportsman" shows on KGW, when I came to Portland in 1960, were -- well, pretty local. I remember him fishing with Doug LaMear, his usual co-host, (since we're into antique fishing celeb trivia,)fishing for small trout with single salmon eggs from an anchored small boat on Swift Reservoir. WAHOO!! (Not exactly topless TUNA! fly fishing with Princess Di and Brad Pitt on the Mexican Riviera.)

This was before his book was published (1970-ish?) and the definitely much more professionally produced "Lucky Jim Fishing Show" with Homer Groenig. (Trivia test for you younger guys: Bart Simpson's dad.)

"That crazy fish!" he'd always be saying while fighting a steelhead.

Jim was fond of taking young kids steelheading in his drift boat. He liked Okie drifters for them, as he thought the steelhead hit them much more obviously than they did salmon eggs. (And this was in the days when Okies came pretty much in one color: flame orange.)

Later on, I remember his recommendation for the very best color among the now dozens of drift bobber colors: "Whatever you caught your first one on." :grin:

I also remember with sadness the tiny newspaper report of his death in that traffic accident and one more thing: I don't think I ever heard anyone say an unkind word about him.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #20
bronc
Steelhead

i wonder what ever happned to that last sled jim had , i think it was about 24 ft,sounded like it had a 454 in it . wonder whos got it
bronc is offline   Reply With Quote