goose decoy placement? (small corn field) - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
EasyOregon
Steelhead

Default goose decoy placement? (small corn field)

Here is a picture of a corn field I hunted today with some friend we had about 5 dozen decoys out(mostly silhouettes) about where the black dots are, the red dots are the blinds we built and the yellow is standing corn. We only had 2 groups of 3 come in today but they just circled a couple times and then left so I was wondering if you guys had any idea on decoy placement. The white sections is for a placement reference. Any information will help thanks you
Im hunting the field again tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how we do.

Good luck to anyone else who is going hunting.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
riversledder
Tuna!

Default Re: goose decoy placement? (small corn field)

With the wind blowing towards the standing corn, they may not be comfortable coming in low across that standing corn and then over the decoys to land. In the same scenario you may try placing 2 groups of decoys out away from that standing corn in the 1/2 area and the 3/4 area and try leaving a landing spot in the center. Place them more towards where you have your numbers written. Leave a hole on the area between where you have the 2/3.
When something does not work, change it up to see if you get better results. Sometimes you will be amazed .
Good luck.
riversledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
EasyOregon
Steelhead

Thanks for the info I'll give it a try
Old 11-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Duckhammer
Steelhead

Great advice by riversledder. If anything, I can only suggest a few general ideas...1) The birds will land into the wind. 2) They will go to where they want to be and since you had birds looking at your spread, you're in the right spot. 3) If something isn't working, don't be afraid to make adjustments. Also, take a minute and have a look at your set up. Look at your partners faces, their guns, their shiny bands on the calls, the blinds, anything that could make them not commit. That reminds me, did you load up the blinds with corn stubble to match the area you're laying in? I've seen guys leave their stubble on year after year and it sticks out when they get into the field.
Let us know how things turn out next time!
Duckhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
BerettaMan
Tuna!

Silhouettes will rarely work. There may be times when the weather is perfect (windy and rainy) and the birds have not been shot at much and Silhouettes will get it done but not something I would try. Valley birds are very smart and educated. Your competition is using $1500.00 worth of Dave Smith's, there is a reason for that..........................

I think you would be better off to have 1 dozen quality full bodies than to hunt over 6 dozen shells or cardboard.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
EasyOregon
Steelhead

Well we had a group of about 15 come by and with in shooting range but it was 7:53 they couldn't have been 7 mins later really!!! Oh well maybe next time