Browning BAR Front sight removal - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
BIGALSURF
Chromer

Default Browning BAR Front sight removal

I am trying to remove the front metal post sight so I can put a deresonator on the barrel. I have removed the back screw and the cover over the front post sight. There is a second screw, accessed by removing the post. The post is mounted in a keyway. My question, how hard to whack on this thing to get it loose? Padded chisel and mallet tapping is doing nothing. Don't want to bend the barrel or scratch it. Anyone ever done this?

BIGALSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
DAB
King Salmon

Default Re: Browning BAR Front sight removal

Before tapping on the front post put the back screw back in snugly, now get a brass drift punch and tap front post out, now take out both screws. There is a chance that if you don't put the back screw back in before trying to remove front post you could break the screw that is onder the front post. Don't ask me how I know.

DAB
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

Mmm...you probably want to use a small STEEL Hammer and a small piece of BRASS barstock, cut off square, to tap that Sight off.

Then I usually pad the sight with small patch of thin cardboard (Tablet Backing or even a strip of Paper plate) folded over double to keep the Brass from coloring the Blued Steel.

Because the Dovetail grooves are cut straight across the barrel, but the sights are often cut tapered, follow the addage, "Left Off, Right On". (As viewed from the Receiver end of the barrel).

Old 11-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Ni!
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc_sbio View Post
Mmm...you probably want to use a small STEEL Hammer and a small piece of BRASS barstock, cut off square, to tap that Sight off.

Then I usually pad the sight with small patch of thin cardboard (Tablet Backing or even a strip of Paper plate) folded over double to keep the Brass from coloring the Blued Steel.

Because the Dovetail grooves are cut straight across the barrel, but the sights are often cut tapered, follow the addage, "Left Off, Right On". (As viewed from the Receiver end of the barrel).

I wish I'd known that when I did the exact same thing last week. Oh well, I probably wasn't going to put the sight back on anyway.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni! View Post
I wish I'd known that when I did the exact same thing last week. Oh well, I probably wasn't going to put the sight back on anyway.
Ni,

You CAN put it back on...just put in on towards the RIGHT.

It might have been loosened by driving it out to the right, but if it is, simply take a small flat punch and gently tap down on the thin edge of the of the barrel's Dovetail and peen it back down a little tighter once the Sight's in place.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Ni!
Ifish Nate

Actually, the problem is that the front screw pulled out of the threads. I'll have to retap the hole if I want to put it back on (which I probably don't). But it's good to know anyway.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate

I slipped my deresonator OVER the front sight after having the same trouble on my BAR
Old 11-08-2006, 04:38 AM   #8
BIGALSURF
Chromer

Well, I join the revered gentleman in the above club who stripped the front screw. I called the people who sold me the gun without waiting for advice here and of course they said tap away with no advice as to direction of tapping, and of course the back screw was out and finally, boink! It was gone. OK, now what, do the holes need filling? Is it going to rust?

I didn't even think of slipping the deresonator over the sight. Duh!

Why am I publicly proclaiming I'm mechanically challenged? Oh well, it's funny I guess.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
baltz526
King Salmon

if you are not going to put the front sight back on, you can get two small plug screws to fill the holes. on the stripped hole use locktight to glue the plug in. if you want the front sight back on, you need a gunsmith to retap the front hole and alter front sight to fit new sized screw.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #10
BIGALSURF
Chromer

Thanks! You watch, I'll decide not to use the front sight, then fill the holes, then decide I want it as a brush gun with metal sights!