IFish Fishing Forum banner

New Pistol

15K views 123 replies 53 participants last post by  GDuck 
#1 ·
I am wanting to buy a new pistol to pack when archery hunting. I usually pack a 9mm but want to leave that at home for my wife and get something a little more stout. I am thinking a 357. Where is the best place to get a good pistol. I am on a budget would like to stay under $500. Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
Maybe one of the Rugers, but you will be a little over budget in a new one.
A Glock in 10mm is a good woods carry, but it too will put you over budget some.

If you are set on a wheel gun you might check the used market.

Edit:
We had a 38 Spl Taurus.
I wouldn't go there.

#4 ·
I sure wish someone would make a reasonably priced, 7 (8?) shot, .357 with a 4" or so barrel that was light like the S&W 386 Mountain Lite. I know that's asking a lot, but a guy can dream!

As usual, I'm no help at all.....Good luck, I'm watching this thread.

#7 · (Edited)
I have a Taurus tracker. In your price range but don't recommend it.
First one had a bent crane arm. If shot really accurate but the eject rod would hit the gun every time I was closing the cylinder.
They couldn't fix it so they sent me a new pistol after the 3rd time sending it in.. This one shoots low with most ammo. I don't know.
Their quality control is bad.
Another vote ruger sp101. They are almost in your price range.
Get some hot loads with cast bullets for bear.
I do like wreckless idea.

Pic of the ejector rod hitting the frame, wearing out the knurl.

#10 ·
Give us more detail on how you plan to use it.

P

#25 ·
Read the buckeye link first, he did the research. You don't have to be a gun guy. Be sure to buy something with which you will practice. Accuracy is everything, and accuracy comes from practice.

P

#26 ·
Couple of thoughts: .38/.357, .44 Special/.44 Magnum and .45 Colt all have commercially made snake/shot loads available.
These are also available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.
I like to have a couple of these on board when in snake country, as I surely do not want to be forced to fire a solid bullet at a snake in rocks.
I have been tempted to try one of the Ruger LCRx revolvers. Lightweight, compact, adjustable sights and under $500. Granted it is not a .357, but a .38 Special +P, but I frankly don't enjoy shooting full-house .357 in a small revolver. Not much good in a tangle with a bear, but that's awfully rare. Plenty good medicine for a cougar.

#32 ·
I don't archery hunt but when I'm out with a rimfire or any centerfire smaller than a .270 winchester, I carry a handgun as well. as a true backup, and for backpacking, I like my S&W 329PD. It's no fun to shoot with full power ammo but it is accurate, light, and effective. 25.7 ounces, 6 rounds of .44 magnum, capable of 2" 25 yard groups with 250 grain SWCs at over 1350 fps gets it done. I own other guns to plink with, this one is for killing things and nothing else.

#34 ·
For packing in the woods, to cover all the bases, my vote is for a wheel gun in what would be a perfect packing length (Google "perfect packing pistol"). This will help knowing what knowledgeable professional hand gunners advise.

In the woods, j carry a big bore SA due to it's inherent strengths, ammo choices and reliability. A SA's other feature is the option to reload the weapon even if a case is stuck in one of the chambers.

Second choice would be a DA wheel gun.

Last choice for the woods would be an auto. When dealing with bears, there are virtually no options for proper loads. Use of JHP or soft points when dealing with bears is ill advised. If you doubt that, research what the experts have to say. With bears, you need hard cast heavy loads. SA wheel guns will always out perform auto loaders when it comes to operational reliability.

Now if we are talking about street carry, that's an entirely different ball game with different rules.

#35 ·
Being prepared is smart. I've seen bears twice while in the woods. I don't prepare based on bears.

P

#37 ·
I have the SP 101 in 2-1/4". An extra inch of tube length would be nice. Mostly shoot 38 spl as the 357 mags are not fun. Rather pack my XDM 45 Compact with 13+1 capacity with the extended magazine. Weight is a toss up empty. A bit heavier loaded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.