BIG bad spiders! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #1
Drakeblake
Tuna!

Default BIG bad spiders!

Last April we moved into my grandparents old house that had been sitting empty for the last 3 years. Part of the basement was unfinished so we finished off half of it for my room. Since I moved in ive been having a problem with some large spiders sharing the room with me. Im not sure what they are but I sure hope they arnt the dreaded hobo spiders . So I ended up getting some sticky traps to try to cull the population and the traps are working to say the least.

This is one of three traps in my room that all have about the same number of spiders on them. Let me tell you its not pleasant to have one of these bad boys crawl up your neck after putting on your shirt that you threw on the floor the night before. Does anybody have any suggestions to what they are? Please say harmless

-blake

Drakeblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

Default Re: BIG bad spiders!

Blake,
let me tell you, as a person who once had to ID hobo spiders as part of their job, even 'professionals' have a hard time ID'ing hobo spiders.

From your pictures it looks like a few of them might be in the same family, whether or not they are Hobo's is a different story.

Ok without getting into a big discussion, there are 3 spiders in the 'Tegenaria' family.....

T. agrestis AKA Agressive House Spider (HOBO SPIDER)

T. gigantic AKA Giant House Spider

T. domestica AKA Domestic House Spider

First off, all 3 of these spiders have similar size, shape, markings, and color so you can guess already its hard to ID them :smile:

This is THE BEST info I have found on Hobo Identification, it has real good pictures of KEY features found only on Hobo's.......I printed this out in color and used it many times for spider ID's. Download it first if Adobe Acrobat gives your PC probs like mine does
Hobo Spider ID (PDF File)

The underside markings of the spiders and also the male palps (what look like big fangs) are the best features to ID Hobo spiders.....unfortunately you need dead spiders (or in a glass jar) for one ID and a microscope for the other

BTW this time of year, and later into fall, is when male spiders of almost all kinds go looking for a mate, so its REAL common to see lots of 'wandering' guys.

Hope that helps
Russ
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
Cliff
Ifish Nate

omg... that is really gross... sorry. im really scared of spiders. give em a wood shampoo! LOL good luck with that!

Cliff
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:50 AM   #4
ampersat
King Salmon

Is there a Raid bomb product that you could set off to kill them en masse? I'd be so freaked out all the time having to deal with a spider population like that. Spiders belong outside and if they're inside they get the shoe (in whatever form shoe takes). I'm all for God's creatures, just not in my house.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:28 AM   #5
StinkyH
Tuna!

Ugh - that's like 30 spiders?!?! I'd be bug bombing.

StinkyH
Old 09-08-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
5-Cents
King Salmon

Holy Moly I am itching everywhere now!

I would bug bomb that room of yours like 3 days in a row!

You want to hear something really nasty...

The other night my daughter who has had ear problems since she was a child, was complaining of her ear hurting a little. It was bed time so my wife had her lay down on her bed and turn her head so she could put some cleansing drops in her ears and clean them out. My wife said she put three drops in and a small spider crawled out

How the heck could a kid get a spider in her ear. That just creeps me out! I have been shoving Q-tips all the way into my skull every day since that happened!

Indoor spiders need

Hope you dont get some of those guys in your ears

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:05 AM   #7
1pump
King Salmon

Oh, come on, you weenies! :smile: Spiders aren't so bad. They kill a lot of annoying insects.

I gotta admit I'm not too crazy about them crawling on me, especially since I've been bit a few times.

The place where I work is Spider Grand Central. Lots of outbuildings that don't get used much, and lots of walkways, railings and catwalks for spiders to spin their webs across. Every day I walk into at least a couple webs. I usually leave the little buggers alone as long as they do the same for me.
A few days ago I took one of the company boats out for a spin. It hadn't been out for a few months and the bouncing and vibration flushed the spiders out that had been hiding in it. There had to be at least 50. The worst part was that the wind would catch the ones up in the bow and whip them backwards right into my face. I finally had to head back in after brushing about 10 of them off of me. Next time I'm hosing the boat out before using it.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:19 AM   #8
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Take your trap to the Oregon Zoo - they ID spiders and will give you a bunch of info. We had a couple that were close to hobo looking to me - turned out to be European House Spiders - big and reallllllllly fast buggers
Old 09-08-2004, 01:08 PM   #9
SlipKnot
Chromer

I almost fell off my desk chair when I pulled up your post. I admit it. I'm a big wussy when it comes to spiders. I usually talk my wife into getting rid of them for me...that is until we got a new dog recently. He is a bug killing machine!!

My only advice is to "throw money at the problem" and hire an exterminator.

I'm telling you, I can handle any amount of blood and guts, but I don't like spiders!

Good luck!
SlipKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #10
Striper Club
Tuna!

I hate spiders and bees. Mostly spiders though. Just a few minutes ago, there was one on my arm....it lies dead now but I have the creepy crawlies...even moreso after reading this post! :P
Striper Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #11
StinkyH
Tuna!

Quote:
My wife said she put three drops in and a small spider crawled out
That ain't right. Poor kid!

StinkyH
Old 09-08-2004, 02:04 PM   #12
OceanBlue
King Salmon

Didn't your momma tell you not to leave your clothes on the floor?

Shake everything out before you put it on. From what I've read, hobos like cool dark places and often times bite people because they're in their clothing, towels or whatever.

I hate spiders. Give me snakes, mice, slugs (why do I get slugs in the house from time to time, anyway? :whazzup but keep the spiders the heck away from me. I have had terrible reactions to spider bites! We just found out that my daughter does, too. :depressed:

Where do you get those spider traps? Very cool!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:06 PM   #13
hawgcatcher
Tuna!

Spiders never used to bother me until I saw an item on The news a couple weeks back. It showed a young guy with a nasty hole in his body from a spider bite. The flesh seems to simply fall off and leaves a big sore that keeps getting bigger.

Well the TV crew came up with some footage that showed other people with even bigger holes in their bodies from spider bites. Yuch.

Now I kill every spider that is in my house. No more mister nice guy. I see one, it is gone. Wife is much happier with that too. They can be outside but not inside. :depressed:
Old 09-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #14
StinkyH
Tuna!

A friend's dad had that happen... had a spider bite on his shin that he ignored... a few days later he brushed the red spot and it opened and drained and he had a small hole/indent in his leg from the bite eating the flesh. Not something to mess around with!

Spiders used to give me the willies but I've forced myself to get used to them as I work in the yard and they don't bother me as much.

StinkyH
Old 09-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #15
Norm
Tuna!

I had a nasty one bite me in the ankle in the coast range while hunting. Ended up with a inch plus deep hole that took many months to heal. I could put the entire end of a sharp pencil in the hole. I had always heard Oregon didn't have any nasty spiders west of the Cascades. I wonder if it was a Hobo or some other type of spider?
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:52 PM   #16
Fishfeet
Ifish Nate

Wow!! I hope those aren`t the dreaded "Brown Recluse"!! I`ve heard they are real nasty! They cause the holes in the flesh that a couple of the guy`s mentioned. I would be moved out of that house in a micro second if there were that many in there! After doing a plumbing job for a few years I sort of got used to them, but having one crawling on me in the middle of the night gives me the willies! A recent unpleasent experience. :shocked: Ff.
Fishfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:44 PM   #17
Drakeblake
Tuna!

WOOHOO thanks to Fish_N_Russ I have determined that they are NOT Hobo spiders. Boy am I relieved but I still have one heck of a spider problem that needs some taking care of. Time to use some "shock and awe" on them spidies. :grin: Yes after finding the one in my clothes I hung up everything from there on out and still shook things out a few times. Be ware they tend to be drawn to moisture and damp towels are the worst. Man I though you guys were some big tough outdoorsmen but I guess everybody has there weakness.
5-cents -why did you have to go and tell me about that? your poor daughter! Im wearing ear muffs from now on.

-blake

P.S. Dont get the wrong impression guys thoes traps have been out for nearly a month and our house isnt nearly as dumpy as it may sound but when somthing sits empty for a few years things tend to find there way inside. We just sprayed the outside of the house tonight and my old man is planning on bombing it this weekend when im gone. Bye bye spiders.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:38 AM   #18
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

Almost all spiders have venom that will cause necrosis.....that is, eating away of the flesh in the bite area. Just depends on how much is injected and how powerful it is.

Oregon doesnt have any Brown Recluses, they are a southern spider (too cold up here). There is many other spiders that look like them though (again ID problems).......and occasionally (like maybe 10 times in last few years)..one will hitch a ride on a truck or something and show up.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:36 AM   #19
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

I detest spiders so badly that I want to delete this thread!

No, I woulnd't move it to the mod board, I would just DELETE IT!!!!

ACH! GET IT OFF OF MY SITE!

No kidding, this thread is giving me the creeps! Now, I keep swatting myself, to get them off of me!

SCREAM!

J
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:08 AM   #20
Fishfeet
Ifish Nate

OH! Sorry Jen! :grin: Ff
Old 09-09-2004, 08:00 AM   #21
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

I was kidding.
I'm half intrigued by them.
But, put one on me, and you'll see me dance! And not a happy dance, either!

Jen
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:14 AM   #22
Fishfeet
Ifish Nate

Bet it would be fun to watch though! Irish jig or break dance???
Old 09-09-2004, 12:54 PM   #23
Paddlefish
Chromer

I had a girlfriend -- uh, decades ago -- who absolutely loved spiders! She'd let them crawl all over her hands or arms, admiring them.

This same girl, however, knocked herself senseless trying to run away from a bee, racing around the corner of her house, half-looking over her shoulder for the pursuing bee -- and straight into a tree.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:22 PM   #24
wade
Chromer

They don't bother me in the slightest unless one gets on me, then its dead. One time that it does bug me though is going under a house that has webs everywhere and you can't crawl around without getting a web facial. There are some electricians and plumbers that triple their fee if they have to crawl around under there, and I don't blame'em a bit.
Speaking of heebeejeebies, today I got startled by a hummingbird sucking on a fushia growing low, I thought it was a giant bee!

Kevin
Old 09-09-2004, 04:34 PM   #25
Amahnee
King Salmon

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:56 PM   #26
Flatfish
King Salmon

Jennie you should go to Purdue for some schoolin.

That's actually where I figured the pics to be from. Good stuff Russ. Quality insect pics like these are not easy to find.

Mark and the dog.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:28 PM   #27
justcastn
Tuna!

Drakeblake,Where did you get those.I have a few spiders in my house I would like to be gone...This just give's me the chills!!! Now I won't be able to sleep!!!Where did you get those!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:37 PM   #28
Drakeblake
Tuna!

Come on Jen there not that bad. I though you loved all of gods creatures. :grin:
justcastn....I got the traps at ACE hardware there like $6 for six traps and well worth the money IMHO.

-blake
Old 09-10-2004, 06:21 AM   #29
justcastn
Tuna!

Thaaaaaaank youuuuu!!! I hate spiders!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 01:32 PM   #30
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

You can get similar traps at WinCo for like $1.50 for 3 traps.....they are all the same, none are really 'baited'. They just are a peice of paper with tanglefoot/stickum on it.....they only catch spiders walking along, or anything else for that matter
Old 09-10-2004, 02:06 PM   #31
OceanBlue
King Salmon

I'm going to Ace! I'm assuming that "baited" means there's some sort of spidey scent on them. Otherwise, you'd think there'd be all kinds of other bugs stuck there and I can't imagine that the spiders are so thick that there would be that many just "happening" by.

Hmmm... do they make these for stray cats? I've got a couple who decide they live at my house. They're so bold as to come into the house if I leave a door open and turn my back!