IFish Fishing Forum banner

rod and tacle building

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mike carlson 
#1 ·
hello was wondering if some could explain the process of removing the old cork handle and wrapping it with cord on one of my salmon rods thanks mike

#2 ·
Cut the cork off with a box knife. Be careful not to cut yourself or the blank. If you end up with a uniform surface, wrap with your cord of choice tying just like you would a guide foot wrap. Some like tared seiners twine, others like the various colored polyester. If you use a cotton product you will need some finish. Tared twine doesn't need epoxy, the others will. Good luck.

#4 ·
Cut the cork off with a box knife. Be careful not to cut yourself or the blank. If you end up with a uniform surface, wrap with your cord of choice tying just like you would a guide foot wrap. Some like tared seiners twine, others like the various colored polyester. If you use a cotton product you will need some finish. Tared twine doesn't need epoxy, the others will. Good luck.
thank you for responding i well give it a go mike

#5 ·
Mike,

You might also want to consider building up the area where your old cork was on the blank. Once removed the diameter of the area newly wrapped in cord wont be near as thick as the cork was.
I have done three cord wraps recently and used a cork tape to build the area up in diameter then wrapped the cord over that. I'm happy with the results.
If your interested I have three spools of cord, black, blue and orange/black ( for a beaver rod I'm building).
I'll be more then glad to give you enough cord to do a rod.

Let me know if I can help. Guys like Stickfish have helped me get started building rods so its my way of paying it forward.

Steve

cork tape

cord wrap

#7 ·
Mike,

You might also want to consider building up the area where your old cork was on the blank. Once removed the diameter of the area newly wrapped in cord wont be near as thick as the cork was.
I have done three cord wraps recently and used a cork tape to build the area up in diameter then wrapped the cord over that. I'm happy with the results.
If your interested I have three spools of cord, black, blue and orange/black ( for a beaver rod I'm building).
I'll be more then glad to give you enough cord to do a rod.

Let me know if I can help. Guys like Stickfish have helped me get started building rods so its my way of paying it forward.

Steve

cork tape

cord wrap
hi thats very kind of you ill start with getting the old cork off and the cord wrap sounds like a good idea its just a 8 foot salmon rod so the blank isn't very big and i like fishing with it thanks again for your thoughts mike

#6 ·
Steve good point on the existing cork. You can always sand down the cork that is there and use it as a base for your cord - just too many options to list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.