Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Fish & Game Management

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
huntercgr
Super Moderator
 
huntercgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Dry Side
Posts: 14,004
Default Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

ODFW confirmed a wolf had eaten on a dead elk calf that was found in the Tupper area. But they also said the wolf didn't kill it. They put a trail cam on the carcass, but the wolf never returned. They believe it's a lone wolf that did the scavenging.

This was reported in the Heppner Gazette.

huntercgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Cliff D.
Sturgeon
 
Cliff D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colton
Posts: 4,838
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Too bad for the area. Miss hunting the Tupper, Madison, Texas area. Moved on after the wife and I tracked 4 different kitties in there without getting a shot at any of them or at an elk.
Glad now that I didn't drop the 5k on that hunting cabin down by the woodpecker.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Idahoan
Chromer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 940
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Now Heppener, Baker, La Grande, Bend, Pendleton, Enterprise, Joesph, Prineville, and Klamath Falls. I would say the wolves are getting pretty spread throughout the state. A lot of areas for only supposedly 30 wolves. I wonder what the real number is 100+?
Idahoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
flipperdog
Chromer
 
flipperdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Socialistic Oregon
Posts: 774
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

And the answer is?????
We may never know!!!
__________________
Thank God first!!
flipperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff D. View Post
Too bad for the area. Miss hunting the Tupper, Madison, Texas area. Moved on after the wife and I tracked 4 different kitties in there without getting a shot at any of them or at an elk.
Glad now that I didn't drop the 5k on that hunting cabin down by the woodpecker.
We moved south a few miles now but we had a camp west of the Tupper GS for years.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Ben Hur
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florence
Posts: 1,032
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Ah, Tupper, mud, jug and hollywood springs, Thorn Cr., Rutabagger and Upper Willow Cr. all locked up with no access.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
Cliff D.
Sturgeon
 
Cliff D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colton
Posts: 4,838
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
Ah, Tupper, mud, jug and hollywood springs, Thorn Cr., Rutabagger and Upper Willow Cr. all locked up with no access.
The OHV park was another factor in our move. Wasn't any area we hunted, just put the squeeze on the places that people could.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
Cliff D.
Sturgeon
 
Cliff D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colton
Posts: 4,838
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
We moved south a few miles now but we had a camp west of the Tupper GS for years.
Camp used to be a mile or 2 south of the corral.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff D. View Post
Camp used to be a mile or 2 south of the corral.
We have crossed path in the mountains as well as the coast.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
traks44
Tuna!
 
traks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pendleton/ Round up city
Posts: 1,926
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Very Old News
__________________
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" J.W.
traks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
jimhs
Coho
 
jimhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Baker City, Oregon
Posts: 70
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoan View Post
Now Heppener, Baker, La Grande, Bend, Pendleton, Enterprise, Joesph, Prineville, and Klamath Falls. I would say the wolves are getting pretty spread throughout the state. A lot of areas for only supposedly 30 wolves. I wonder what the real number is 100+?
I can tell you that there was a pack of wolves not 5 miles west of Trout Meadows as long as 3 years ago. My brother and I heard them howling behind our camp while coyote hunting over there. On two different occasions we heard a pack of wolves howling at night to the south of the Squaw Creek drainage not two to three hundred yards south of highway 52. We also found wolf tracks south of the Anthony Lakes area. There are more wolves here in Oregon that the ODFW will ever admit to.
jimhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
olderthandirt
Steelhead
 
olderthandirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: vernonia
Posts: 440
Default Re: Confirmation from ODFW....wolf in Heppner Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhs View Post
I can tell you that there was a pack of wolves not 5 miles west of Trout Meadows as long as 3 years ago. My brother and I heard them howling behind our camp while coyote hunting over there. On two different occasions we heard a pack of wolves howling at night to the south of the Squaw Creek drainage not two to three hundred yards south of highway 52. We also found wolf tracks south of the Anthony Lakes area. There are more wolves here in Oregon that the ODFW will ever admit to.
If there are no wolves you cant shoot one. You cant be cited for shooting a mirage can you??????
__________________
Don't tell her girls can't fish
Excess in all things. Moderation is for Monks!!!!!!!
olderthandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.29972 seconds with 33 queries