New member first post - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Leroy
Cutthroat

Default New member first post

Hi ya'll. Long time reader, first time poster. I've read that a first post must be a fishing story so here it goes.

I'm a bankie at heart (although I have a boat now). I've always maintained that a true steelheader is someone that can catch steelhead from the bank consistently, and here is a funny but absolutely true story.

I was fishing a small (unnamed) stream with a good fishing buddy. The water was high and off color, but dropping. We know this section of river better than most people, so we were almost the only people out that day. My buddy hooks and loses a steelhead after a 3 minute fight. It broke off just above the swivel. Since the water was high and colored, we were fishing close to the bank. I casted in the same spot he did, let it come close to the bank and let it sit for a few seconds like I always do, and then I feel the tug-tug-tug. I set the hook, and after a short fight land a mid-sized steelhead with my hook THROUGH MY BUDDY'S SWIVEL THAT HE LOST!!

This is an absolutely true story, no kidding what so ever. I had hooked the same fish he did, through the swivel he lost, in less than 10 minutes after he lost it.

For anyone who might question the legality - I kept and killed it and never looked back and would do the same today.

Happy to be at ifish.

Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Buck50
Ifish Nate

Default Re: New member first post

Welcome!
Good story, I did the same thing about ten years ago. We were trolling spinners in the Ghost Hole. I get a fish on, get it to the boat and see my spinner....Huh? Lift up a little higher and see my spinner hook through the eye of a three way tied to a herring rig in the fishes mouth.
Would have been great had my buddy not forgot to close the net.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
crfsteelheader

Great story and welcome to Ifish!

I too have caught one, chinook in Trask tidewater, in a similar manner. Bobber fishing with straight shrimp and my bobber slipped under slowly, reeled down and set the hook and the brawl was on! Got the fish up into the net before we realized it had about an 8/0 siwash hook, rusty as can be, pinned in its jaw, my 4/0 was right through the eye of that Siwash.
crfsteelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
sinkerhead
Chromer

Hey Leroy, glad you joined !

Thats a great story of success ! Many years ago, we hooked the line that included a pole and large Kokanee that had pulled it off a forked stick over at Phillips reservoir. Doesn't happen too often, but getting it in the swivel is some pretty fine shootin
sinkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Leroy
Cutthroat

I used to fish Phillips a lot and loved it but not so much any more. Plus, I got a lot of ticks fishing there in the spring.

Here's a Phillips trick. Go there when the ice just starts to melt off the lake, and cast your bait on to the ice. Then reel it back just far enough so that it falls off the ice straight down to the bottom. The fish there circle the lake in late spring and early summer, and you will hammer them with the right bait. The right bait is... cured steelhead eggs. Trust me on this, it works every time. Steelhead egge are like candy to those fish. But check yourself for ticks when you get home!
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Birdbrains
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
Hi ya'll. Long time reader, first time poster. I've read that a first post must be a fishing story so here it goes.

I'm a bankie at heart (although I have a boat now). I've always maintained that a true steelheader is someone that can catch steelhead from the bank consistently, and here is a funny but absolutely true story.

I was fishing a small (unnamed) stream with a good fishing buddy. The water was high and off color, but dropping. We know this section of river better than most people, so we were almost the only people out that day. My buddy hooks and loses a steelhead after a 3 minute fight. It broke off just above the swivel. Since the water was high and colored, we were fishing close to the bank. I casted in the same spot he did, let it come close to the bank and let it sit for a few seconds like I always do, and then I feel the tug-tug-tug. I set the hook, and after a short fight land a mid-sized steelhead with my hook THROUGH MY BUDDY'S SWIVEL THAT HE LOST!!

This is an absolutely true story, no BS what so ever. I had hooked the same fish he did, through the swivel he lost, in less than 10 minutes after he lost it.

For anyone who might question the legality - I kept and killed it and never looked back and would do the same today.

Happy to be at ifish.
Birdbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
KRTGrumpy
Tuna!

Good story. Welcome to iFish!
KRTGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Dave G
King Salmon

Welcome to Ifish.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
PapaHog
King Salmon

Welcome to ifish.

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Couch angler
Sturgeon

Glad to have you aboard Leroy. Good story.

Mike
Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #11
rowmanholiday
Sturgeon

Welcome to ifish! Thanks for the story.
rowmanholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
boltz
Steelhead

Welcome to I-fish
boltz
boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
Rawbd
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltz View Post
Welcome to I-fish
boltz
Funny how many swivel fishermen there are,I have caught more than 1 steelie by hooking the eye of another swivel,now here is 1 to meet or beat,I am fishing the S.Santiam I hook up ona summer steely and break off with a curly tail,so it came untied,unusual for Me,anyway,approx 8-10 casts later Im hooked up again,I land the fish and OK heres the meet or beat, I have hooked My own hook through the hook eye,it was a quick re-tie and It was 1 size smaller hook but I thought NOWAY,but the way is there.

Challenge !
Old 11-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
bonjoevi2000
Chromer

Welcome , and thanks for the story, it's crazy the things that happen out fishing.
bonjoevi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #15
SPL
Chromer

Welcome Leroy! Nice story...now if you say you ever repeat that, I ain't going to beleive you! Good Fishing...
SPL is offline   Reply With Quote