IFish Fishing Forum banner

Grande Ronde

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Snake River Runner 
#1 Ā·
My buddy and I are headed down to the Grande Ronde this weekend and I was wondering what you guys think would be better. We are going to be fishing in Washington and I don't know whether to head to the mouth of the river or fish the section up river from Bogans to Oregon.

Any advice on colors or tactics would also be very much appreciated. Thanks.

#11 Ā·
Didn't have any luck, sounds like it has been pretty slow the last week or two. Heard of only a handful of fish caught/lost and did see one caught right next to us. Guess I'll try again next weekend. Thanks again for your PMs and advice.

#12 Ā·
Didn't have any luck, sounds like it has been pretty slow the last week or two. Heard of only a handful of fish caught/lost and did see one caught right next to us. Guess I'll try again next weekend. Thanks again for your PMs and advice.

:)Thanks for the report.

Scott.

#15 Ā·
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Current report 02-09-09

Fished Saturday with two clients from Boggans to Shumaker. 2 natives, 2 hatchery fish for two rods, also two fish lost. 4 rods hours per landed fish. 8 rod hours per keeper. Two taken on float/jig, two on puff ball/yarn combo. Cold in the morning, but afternoon sunshine felt like mid 60's.

Sunday with three clients fishing above Boggans. HOT bite first thing in the morning. 5 fish hooked and four land by 9 am. 2 more fish caught the rest of the day. 4 keepers, 2 nates. 3 rod hours per fish caught. 6 rod hours per keeper. All on puff ball/yarn combo. Cold in the morning, iced guides until 10 am. Sunny and warm again in the after noon. Fish are still in nice shape considering the time the have been in the system.

Monday (today) with two flygals. Warmer this morning, no iced guides, but windy and cold. Both gals landed their first fly rod steelies on the Madison Special and called it a day. 1 nate, 1 keeper. 4 rod hours per fish. Down go two more into the steelhead on the fly whirlwind.

After pulling out the boat around 2 pm, I see a young man fishing with a flyrod at the bridge and asked if he had any luck. He said he had fished all day with no luck and was freezing in the wind. I asked what he was using and rigged him up the way I fish. As I was rigging his rod with the goodies, he says to me, " You're that guy on the tv show. I watched Seasons on the Fly last week and could not wait to come try it." I set him up with the Madison Special and sent him on his way to one of my better walk and wade spots not far from the bridge. As I left Boggans at 4, he was walking back with his first steelie on the fly, a nice hen about 7-8 pounds. He tells me all about it and is just beaming will happiness and a smile ear to ear. I congradulate him and tell him to "pass it on" someday to someone else who needs a helping hand. I'm sure he is now hooked for life chasing steelies with a fly. Sure feels good to help someone get in the flyrod steelhead club. Today I helped three people catch their first steelhead with a fly. Man, GOD is great!

I will be on the river 5-6 days per week the next 6 weeks. Drop me a pm if you need anymore updates. I'll try to post when I can. Don't forget the Boggan's Steelhead Derby that starts Feb 15th and goes for the next month. Please say hello if you see me on the river. White Lavro with Teal accents and a new ifish sticker from the PDX Sportshow last Thursday. Good fishing to you all.........Rick

#17 Ā·
Current report 02-09-09

That was an awesome report, Rick- way to go and especially cool to help out a beginner.

I'll have to give the flyfishing a try myself... I've landed a whole lot of steelhead but never one on a fly. Lots of trout growing up in Montana but I haven't really given it a fair try here. If you feel like sharing your setup on the Madison Special sometime let me know.

#23 Ā· (Edited)
Been spanking them on the GR the last few days. 5 on the fly today, 2 for a 15 year old girl, and three for her day. Not bad for her first attempt at steelies on the fly. the Madison special comes through AGAIN. Dont forget the Boggans Steelhead derby started today and runs through March. Sorry for the short report, but gotta hit the hay for the 5:30 depart tommorrow. Good luck all.......rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.