IFish Fishing Forum banner

New to IFish

3K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  First Light Bite 
#1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Keeping with tradition here is my fish story. May 2002 Spring Chinook.

It all started on a cold rainy day on the Multnomah Channel. There were fish on everywhere, but in our boat. Then it happened. My son's rod went off and he got a wonderful Chinook that had to be released. He had a great time playing the fish, I of course was green with envy as we had been Spring fishing since February and I had yet to even get a bit! Then wouldn't you know it, he got bit again! This time it was a keeper. A few hours had passed and it was still raining, good thing for rain gear! We were making our last pass, and then it finally happened to me! It was an 8 pound hen. Great fight for a small one! So after that we decided that we should stay for awhile longer. It was once again our last pass and I got another fish! The fish came up and we were able to see that it was a keeper. All of a sudden there was a huge boil of water where my fish had just been and the rod was nearly yanked from my hands! My husband was hollering to get control of the fish since we knew it wasn't that big! Then a huge sea lion came up with my Chinook hanging from it's mouth by the tail! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I was bound and determined to get my fish back! I had to sit down and use all my weight to try and get my fish out of it's mouth! My husband (Castaway) even got an oar to try and whack the water to scare the sea lion. NO LUCK! By this time my arms were noodles and my husband had to take my rod to try and continue the battle. My aunt & uncle saw what was going on and zoomed over in their boat and were able to scare the sea lion long enough that it dropped my fish, my husband reeled like a mad man and I netted my fish! And it only had one little puncture wound in the knuckle of it's tail! I think the whole river heard us whopping and hollering! It was a day we will never forget!

Blue Fox

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome Blue Fox. Great Story.
I think that it's one that many of us have had (Sea Lion or Seal) at one time or another. Most results aren't as fortunate as yours. Have a great Turkey Day. :cheers:

#4 ·
i never really understood why folks get so wound up about the netting thing until it dawned on me that it's about the seals. those little buggers get trained that their easiest meal is the fish right next to your boat but not in the net just yet.

welcome aboard!

#16 ·
There was a time down south when my dad took a bonito away from a sea lion right at the boat. He was mad! He came about three feet out of the water and snarled at us right at the boat. That was scary. We thought he was going to try to come in. I grabbed a paddle, my brother grabbed the gaff, and dad was going for the pistol when he (sea lion) thought better of it and took off. Ever see one of those up close? They have some really impressive dental work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.