IFish Fishing Forum banner

TV: Pay only for channels I want!

4K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  cptdarel 
#1 ·
I have the basic cable channel lineup, which is about 65 channels. There are about 50 or so channels I get that I never watch nor ever care to. What I would like to be able to do is pay only for those channels I want. Custom channel selections. Like how about a channel package of 10, 20, 30 channels and so forth?
If I normally only watch 15 different channels in a given week, then it would be really nice to only pay for those channels I watch. Why pay for 50 channels which are a waste of my time, for me?

How about it, folks? Would you like to only pay for those channels you are interested in? So many for Mom and Dad, some for the kids, and the like? I am getting tired of paying out good money for junk channels.

What do YOU think?

#6 ·
ala carte cable will never go through in the US to many people in Washington are getting there pockets lined from the big cable companies rp

#21 ·
I just switched from comcast to the dish network. My bill from comcast has went up 2 times in this past yr and once last yr as well. I will see what there like in a couple yrs as well. My buddy has direct and its good if you want the football package. I dont need it I go to his house anyhow on sundays. Thats the only thing I can see different so far. We got it for about half of what we paid for cable. With 2 dvrs and blockbuster for a yr, Hd for life. All for 39.99:meme:

#10 · (Edited)
Ala Cart TV is like Ala Cart insurance
WHile it makes the most sense - too many politicians have their hands in it.
So you get to support all those local channels and unique channels that nobody watches .

I too get 100's of channels - But only watch about 15.
Gave up the HBO type channels years ago because I did not watch them.
Here - you need a box ( monthly rental fee per box - where they make a lot of money) for any channels above channel 50 ( Where all the HD channels are).
The other day - I took all the boxes back and I am content to watch just the 50 channels
But still have to pay for the "potential" of all the other channels.

#12 ·
I think it is a slippery slope. If you only want to pay for the 30 channels you want why should you have to pay for the 29 channels you are not watching when you are watching TV.

ala carte will lead to pay by the minute, and guess what, your cable bill will still be huge. Comcast will get its money out of you one way or the other.

#14 ·
Ahhhh, that's where the 1.5T external hard drive comes in! Here we have lots of choices, mostly in Spanish. So we download shows and movies we want to watch and store them on the external drive. The mac sends the movies wirelessly to the Xbox then its HDMI to the TV. :excited:

#16 ·
Lots of good info here. Thanks everyone. I get all my news, local and more, off my PC. I mostly watch TV when I slide in a DVD. I'm tempted to can my TV cable and just keep my internet connection.

#17 ·
Unfortunatly I agree with you on only paying for channels you watch but the fact is that if there was an option to do that it would work out to be roughly 4x what you currently pay for cable TV.

#20 ·
The biggest push to have a bagillion channels on our cable comes from the. It networks like fox, NBC, abc. Not the local channels mind you but their parent company. If you follow the news you would see fox did not air for a few weeks in new York because the cable company did not want to shell out millions for all 175 channels they have when their customers only watch 5 or 6 of them. It's across the board with all large large broadcaster like this.

The government won't do anything about it because they don't want to be on blast on the cable news channels for doing the right thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.