IFish Fishing Forum banner

Oil Filter Question for a 4.3 Vortec

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Tacklebuster 
#1 Ā·
This weekend I did my yearly oil and spark plug change. When I went to Napa to get my oil filter, I accidently got one that was shorter than the one that was on the motor. I went ahead and changed everything but should I go get a new oil filter that is just as long as my old one or will the shorter version do? What the difference between the two anybody know? I think the one that came out was a Napa gold 1040 and the one I put in was a Napa gold 1036.

Oh yea, when changing the water/fuel seperator, is it like changing the oil filter? Do you just twist it off and twist the new one on or am I missing something? I usually take my boat in to get this done but decided to do it myself this time.

Thanks....

#2 Ā·
It should be ok......but I would change it. The smaller filter is probably designed for an engine with smaller oil quantity capacity. Does your hold five quarts?? If it does, the more filter, the cleaner it gets. I think boat motor run harder than cars and need all the filtration they can get.
On the fuel/water separator, yup, same deal. I usually fill mine up with gas before putting it on if you can. That way, it will start a lot easier the next time.
With as many hours as you run, I was sorta surprised to hear "yearly" oil change? Maybe you run synthetic oil?? Maybe I just waste my money on oil that isn't bad? :grin: LOL

Green Machine

#3 Ā·
I used to have the same boat and motor. There are two filters that fit your 4.3. I did use the short one once by accident. I worried about and changed it after the first use. For 3 dollars why let it bug you.

I found a clean way to change the filter on those tight motors with the filter so low in the bildge.

Loosen your filter with the wrench and then unscrew it by hand with a produce bag surrounding it. The filter will drop in the bag and all the mess along with it.

Jet~~~

#4 Ā·
Green Machine- I change my oil and filter every 50 hours or very close to it. It was a yearly thing this time because of the six day work weeks I have been putting in every other week. I can't wait until I'm changing my oil twice a year again :dance:

Jet- That is a great idea about the produce bag. I think I'll get the longer one and try it out. For the fuel/water seperators are there any special tricks to that or do you just use an oil filter wrench and twist it off :shrug:

Does water get trapped in that filter and if so can you just dump it out instead of swapping out the unit

#5 Ā·
Hi Tacklebuster,Do yourself a favor and next time you buy the oil filter go to your nearest GM dealer and buy an AC.There is nothing wrong with NAPA gold,but it is kind of like two cycle oil if you read my post.I found that they are only about a dollar more and if you buy two or more they give you a discount.The bigger filter is better.PM me if you want specifics.The smaller is made for applications where the larger won't fit.As far as the water separating fuel filter it changes the same way,but have your new one ready to put on when you take the old one off.If you don't have a low level in your fuel tank or can't change the gravity feed by tilting your trailer a bunch of gas will run out while you have the old filter off.Also no flames in the vicinity is a good idea.I don't know which type you have,but most are throw away.You don't want any water in your fuel so don't take any chances.Most will only absorb so much moisture then they fail.
Keep spanking those Gators! :dance:

JB

#6 Ā·
yup... just like the oil filter twist the old fuel water filter off. I treat the Filter like the oil filter and lube the gasket with a little oil before installing the new one.

Marine Power says oil change every 50 hours. I change mine twice a year due to the fact the the oil sets for 1-2 weeks between trips and I think that you can do more harm to oil just setting.

Remember Marine Power is a high compression engine and is built to run at high rpm's for extended runs, they recommend 40wt. Racing oil (no 5w-30 for these)

Never reuse a fuel water seperator. I change mine once a year also. I think the guys that use their boats less than 50 hours a year may have more water due to tank sweating.

Jet~~~

#7 Ā·
A $6 filter is cheap compared to water in your big motor and probably kicker. Trust me, it cost me about $180. :depressed: The filter does just twist off..........your mechanic may have it on there pretty snug.
Yes, I hear you on the 6 day a week thing. Kinda sad isn't it. I know why Mr. Nickle got a new boat that isn't an inboard. At 50 hours, he probably changed his oil every other week!!! :shocked:

Green Machine

#8 Ā·
Tackle... you have a Weldcraft Renegade, 4.3 with a AT, right?

I found a new grease that works great for pumps, it is GL2 rated and Lithium based. Lucas red tacky grease. It stays in the pump better and has one of the best heat ranges that I found.

Jet~~~

#9 Ā·
Jet - Yep, that's my ride. Where can you pick up that grease? I usually pump a couple of squirts every ten hours in the ****** in the nozzle and a couple of squirts every thirty hours on the ****** near the bell housing.

I just looked at my fuel/water seperator and it is for Mercs :shrug: I guess as long as it fits hugh...

#10 Ā·
NAPA sells the grease. You can also use the NAPA fuel water seperator, made by WIX. #3225

Are you hitting the tail zerk? Put your go stick on full and get out ot the boat and look into the jet. You will see a zerk there It does not take much, jsut until it feels firm. I hit that one just when I changed the oil. It is actually a shim that you are greasing not a bearing.

Jet~~~

[ 02-02-2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: jet ]

#11 Ā·
Fuel Filter change. I change mine at minimun of once per year everytime I change my oil I do all the filters. Trying not to dump gas in the bilge. A quick note is don't forget to use a light(light!!!) coat of clean oil to lubricate the gasket when you install the new fuel filter so it doesn't stick.

Another trick I picked up from my mechanic is that I pour a couple of oz. of fuel conditioner into the new fuel filter before I install it to make sure it cleans and water out of the lines when I do the run up after the filter changes.

Regards,

#12 Ā·
I looked up on the Napa web site the filter specs. Yes there interchangable . The shorter ones are normally because of clearance in a car or truck. To clear a K frame or cross arm. I would run this filter a few trips and then swap it for larger. I would want larger oil capacity and filter area. I had a filter fail in my 4.3LX 262ci Chev after sitting only one fall. It rusted through where the fresh water hose touched side filter. The oil had very few hours on it , but the filter had rusted/electrolisised where it was in contact with hose.
The gas filter changes like a oil filter. Watch gas fumes , run blower and make shure gas vapors are long gone before starting.

Here's those filter specs . Look's like the 1036 is longer.

Item#: FIL1036
Price: $ 5.49
Attributes:
Attributes: Oil Filter (Gold)
Style: Spin-On Lube
Height (Inches): 4.828''
Height (mm): 122.63mm
O.D. (Inches): 2.921''
O.D. (mm): 74.19mm
Thread Size (mm): 18 x 1.50mm
Gasket O.D. (Inches): 2.734''
Gasket I.D. (Inches): 2.43''
Gasket I.D. (mm): 61.722mm
==================================
Item#: FIL1040
Price: $ 5.49
Attributes:
Attributes: Oil Filter (Gold)
Style: Spin-On Lube
Height (Inches): 3.404''
Height (mm): 86.46mm
O.D. (Inches): 2.921''
O.D. (mm): 74.19mm
Thread Size (mm): 18 x 1.50mm
Gasket O.D. (Inches): 2.734''
Gasket I.D. (Inches): 2.43''
Gasket I.D. (mm): 61.722mm

[ 02-04-2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: YaHoeeFishOn ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.