Forks bank fishing ideas - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
SemperFi
Steelhead

Default Forks bank fishing ideas

Afternoon!

My wife and I are taking a last minute trip to the Forks area. I have never been up this direction and am looking forward to it. We will get there on Wednesday and heading home Friday. We will be staying at the Quillayute River Resort. On the map it look like prime fishing all around. Too late to really try to get a guide so any bank fishing spots you are aware of in the area would be appreciated. The link blow is where we are staying to give you an idea of the area I will be targeting.

thanks,

Chris

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ashington.html

Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
gorgebankmaggot
Tuna!

Default Re: Forks bank fishing ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Afternoon!

My wife and I are taking a last minute trip to the Forks area. I have never been up this direction and am looking forward to it. We will get there on Wednesday and heading home Friday. We will be staying at the Quillayute River Resort. On the map it look like prime fishing all around. Too late to really try to get a guide so any bank fishing spots you are aware of in the area would be appreciated. The link blow is where we are staying to give you an idea of the area I will be targeting.

thanks,

Chris

com/Hotel_Review-g58476-d578811-Reviews-Quillayute_River_Resort-Forks_Washington.html
Wish I could help you but no worries as I'm sure there are some here who can. I think the Hoh has a fair amount of accessible water for bankies if it is in. "In" for the Hoh means a foot of vis or better as I understand it. We use to bank fish on the Salmon River (trib to the Queets) and float from a short ways above the Salmon down to somewhere around 101 (foggy memories for me). There were bankies fishing the Queets around the mouth of the Salmon when we were doing that.

The first year I went up there, a really nice family let us spend the whole weekend fishing the Solduc right in their back yard. My buddies from Mt Vernon had scouted in advance, met them, and made the arrangements. Again, the memory is so foggy that I can't remember where we were. I know for a fact that we were right below a bridge, on river left, and in someone's back yard. Helpful eh? The hole we were on was an AWESOME one. We caught several chromer fall chinook and a couple of coho. We encouraged boats to back troll the head of the hole as we couldn't get to it well from the bank. Almost every boat that did it hooked up over the course of the weekend. Killer hole.

Last edited by gorgebankmaggot; 02-17-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: format error
gorgebankmaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Rickster
Chromer

We spent a few days in the summer of 2002 at that place. Lots of access if you disregard the no trespassing signs and go for a ride down the logging roads. There is a nice spot just down the road from your "resort". Very pretty place. Just go exploring.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
KalamaGeo
Sturgeon

Chris,

Google Earth................

Seriously. I usually float those rivers but have just banked it from time to time. Google the area around Forks and look for roads to rivers. This time of year and given the lack of rain, the HOH is your best bet. Northbound on 101, just after you cross the Hoh river bridge, at the top of the hill is a road off to your left. Take it, it goes all the way to salt water. Fish are scattered all the way to the Olympic Mountains but the numbers are from 101 down. If you want to bank really close to your cabin, there is good access to the lower Quil. Ask your folks at the resort. They can tune you in. Too hard to describe the roads. Given where you are staying, you might hook fish from your front yard. That hole is one of the best around. Fish come up and stack there.

Lower Duc has spots to bank and given the water levels, I wouldn't advise it in a hard boat right now anyway. Here again, Google it. I have....
Problem with the Duc and many of the OP rivers is access and numbers of fish. Low water season and VERY scattered fish. Lots of guides banging the water too. Rivers went to catch and keep nates so it's a little bloody out there right now.

PM me for any questions

good luck.

geo
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
slow-drifter
Cutthroat

Smile Re: Forks bank fishing ideas

Ha, bank maggot is talking about my folks' place! I think I can help p.m. Me and I can give you directions or my phone number. If you have a map I can get you to a couple spots on the bogey and hoh too
slow-drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
gorgebankmaggot
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-drifter View Post
Ha, bank maggot is talking about my folks' place! I think I can help p.m. Me and I can give you directions or my phone number. If you have a map I can get you to a couple spots on the bogey and hoh too
Really? I can't say for sure, but that would have been around 1997 give or take a year. There were four of us there all weekend. I remember one kid with glasses who was around 10-12 years old that hung out and talked to us...was that you? I also never forgot this huge rooster that chased me when I would walk out to the truck. I was terrified of that monster.

Like I said...nice people!
gorgebankmaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
slow-drifter
Cutthroat

That would have been me. Had glasses until '96 I think. And there was a mean rooster that terrorized the fishermen!
slow-drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
JDarr

Hoh has lots of bank access. Get a map or Google Earth. Look around. Bogi had some too.

JD
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
SideDrifterGear

If you go to the Hatchery on the Bogi, there are spots there, and if you walk up the road on the right side of the parking lot you can get down to some good spots on both the Calawa and the Bogi where they meet. About a mile or two walk.
I have gone to the intersection and worked my way back up to the hatchery.
Just up from the boat launch is some flat water that is very good if you can stand the brush.

There is also a big hole off the Goodman-Mainline, which parallels La Push road. Look for cars on the west end. Prolly a lot of people.

Good access at the Sol Duc
Whitcom Dimmel Road has a launch with good access. It's a bit hard to find as it looks like a driveway in the end of the col-d-sac

Access right at the Sol Duc Hatchery is good and there is a park on the main Highway across from the Hatchery road (Tumbing Rapids) that is usually closed now but you can walk in. Park on the Hatchery road and walk cross over the hiway to the yellow gate. Go along the road, up river to the bridge over the hiway. good spot there. And also work through the park if you can.
AFAIK bait is not allowed above the Hatchery.

Have fun.