Knotty Duck vs. Decoy Dancer - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
mckenziehunterj
Chromer

Default Knotty Duck vs. Decoy Dancer

For all you who have tried both or have an opinion on either. I'm going to purchase one or the other soon. thanks.

mckenziehunterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
nitrobass
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Knotty Duck vs. Decoy Dancer

I've been using the Knotty this year, first year with a manual spinner. Its held up and performed well. The guys at Knotty were great to deal with and the ordering process was smooth as could be.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Adjhunt

I've hunted over both many times and would go with the Knotty duck 10 out of 10 times. The whiplash doesn't hold up over time due to its uneven and awkward wing design. The knotty duck has a balanced wing design that puts much less stress on the working parts of the mechanism enabling it to pull much easier and in turn be more efficient.
And the guys at Knotty Duck are a pleasure to deal with!

www.FAITHINTHEFIELD.com
Adjhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Hummmmm.........
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
mckenziehunterj
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
Hummmmm.........
Thanks guys, Hunt'nFish would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Crooked Hook
Chromer

Can't say anything about the Decoy Dancer because I'm totally satisfied with the Knotty Duck. Had it for three years and love it. No need to try anything else.
NRA
DU
OHA
Crooked Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Well, I'm a DIY guy so for me it's neither, I make my own.
But I have hunted over & used both.

There're features on both that I like.
Both can be run facing toward you or away.

On the Knotty, I also like the fact that you can run it on a 3/4" or 1/2" pole.
I don't like the milled slot attach method for the surgical tubing, it requires a rather small non-std size tubing not readily found anywhere but through them.

On the the Whip-Splash I like their attach method for the surgical tubing better. You can use a wider variety of sizes to fine tune tension preferance, which also means you can rob some tubing off of your jerk rig to make emergency repairs in the field. However, sometimes the knots on the tubing can pop out from time to time. (the Knotty doesn't have this issue) However you can fix this by bending the roll pin in toward the wing shaft slightly.

I also like the Whip-Splash's wing attach method better, the wings are simpler (meaning you can make new one's easily) and I like the fact that the thumb screw stays on decoy portion. Less metal on wings to sink them. And I personally prefer the thumb screw on the outside of the decoy body. But I also know their are folks that prefer it the opposite...like the Knotty.

btw, some folks like to seal the corrugated holes on the wings to make them float if lost in the water.
Be aware this adds mass to the wings and slows down the wing speed.
I personally make my own wings and carry spares.

Decoy bodies on both are so similar I don't think that matters.

Personally I like the Whip-Splash features better. But I also like the guys building the Knotty's. Great guys!
I guess I've shared my thoughts, the decison is up to you.
Hope this helps,
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
DukAddict
Ifish Nate

The most important keys, in my mind, when using a spinner are that the spinner wings ALWAYS stop with the black facing up and white facing down. I've had issues with mine never stopping in the same spot as it starts, which is always with the white facing down so the birds aren't seeing the color when its not in use. Also, the speed of the wings spinning is a huge key for me. Why were batter powered spinners so affective? Because the flash of the wings was so fast. The bigger the wings, the slower the spin. The spin speed is also affected by the design of the surgical tubing used. The tighter the tubing, the faster it retracts. But, with the tighter the band, the higher chance it has to break. This is why I like to use thicker surgical tubing bands on my spinners, but certain brands only favor one size. Lastly, the ability to quickly and easily fix the spinner when need be. I've always preferred shell body spinners over fullbody spinners so you're able to fix the mechanisms with room for your hand. I really enjoy the spinner I have right now, but the Aero duck half shell body spinner is my favorite overall except for its pole set up where a threaded pipe is needed.

Like Mike said, its all personal preference.

BEAVER NATION
DukAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Duckdog98604
Tuna!

I have 4 pull string decoys, the knotty, an aero, a kick splash, and a whipslpash. I prefer the whipslpash because of the quality materials and the quietness of the operation of it. My personal opinion is the whipsplash is the far superior product.
Duckdog98604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
ommedia
Ifish Nate

I think we all just absorbed years worth of knowledge and experience, thanks guys! anybody have any "short" video of any/all of these decoys to show the differences?

We used to run the electric ones for a few years (back when) and we had very few mechanical failures, the wing speed was easy to manipulate, but the pole configuration was our only issue. We had to hand craft for unique situations. We've recently decided to go with the hand pulls, but hadn't thought of all of these potential points of interest. thanks again.

B&C, P&Y, NWBG, LHS Official Measurer, NRA Member
OMH, OHA & RMEF Life Member
Just Wac'em!
ommedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
sprigkiller09
Ifish Nate

I have used an been around all of them. Here are my thoughts....

Aero duck is my least favorite. The wings on the decoy are infamous for slipping. The legs are not secured well and with time will fall off with very little way to attach them securely. The tubing needs to be changed alot and is difficult to do.

Knotty duck is good but they are fairly loud and the decoys used lack realism. Not a huge fan of the mechanics and maintenance of the decoy. Overall WAY better than the aero duck.

Whip splash is my favorite. I have had mine for 2 years (50+ hunts) and have yet to need to replace the tubing. My dad has had his for 3 years and has replaced it once and the ease of changing the tubing made me a fan. My preference would be whip splash hands down.
sprigkiller09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
mckenziehunterj
Chromer

Thanks again for all the help guys.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Wreckless
King Salmon

Interesting reading.

My spinning wings are homemade (like Hunt'nfish). I've been messing around with bearings and the diameter of the shaft (effects wing RPM). I'm not seeing much difference in responses. In fact, it seems to me that a LOT of ducks are ignoring the spinners in some places and they work like magnets in others.

Lately it seems like I couldn't decoy birds with 8 dozen LIVE MALLARDS!!!!
So take what I say with a grain of salt.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote