Remmington model 760 30-06 ??'s - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-23-2001, 04:48 PM   #1
Predator Dawg
Steelhead

Default Remmington model 760 30-06 ??'s

My father just handed me my Grandfather's old Remmington Gamemaster 760 30-06 SPRG. when he heard I was finally going to try my luck at deer hunting.

Few questions. It is a pump action, much like a Remmington 870 shotgun with a Bushnell 3x-9x Banner scope. I am familiar with both Remmington and Bushnell, but am a rookie when it comes to rifles and deer. Is this package practical? What about the pump action, it seems like most hunters use bolt action? What load would be best for deer? My shooting will mostly be longer ranges in the open vs. forested areas.

I've been bird hunting for 25 years so I know the do's and don't's, just wondering if I can use this setup or should I start from scratch.

Thanks,

Steve

Predator Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2001, 05:39 PM   #2
bigshark
Chromer

Default Re: Remmington model 760 30-06 ??'s

Saltine
I hunted with a college buddy that shot the same gun you describe. Over the years he did very well it on deer in the wheat stubbled fields in Moro and Wasco counties of central Oregon. His scope was only 4 power but anything he shot at under 300 yards was dead
on the first shot. He used 150 and 180 grain
factory loads. I asked him once which seemed to do the best job. His answer was typical of
those guys who live over there and work from
daylight to dark. He said " how dead do you want it? One makes a hole this big and the other makes one that looks just like it." He
also reminded me that it was only a deer and
he wasn't shooting elephant.( which he had also done with a 600 nito express ) That gun
was in a window rack of his pickup,or his flatbed,for more than 30 years. He owned several rifles,but it was a working tool for him. I have been with him when he would stop his truck and shoot a song-dog at a range that would only make you aware of how skilled some men are with a rifle. I don't know if this helps you much with your question, but I sure as heck wouldn't hold that gun in poor regard. I have seen what it can do. I think its a question of how well can you get it to work for you. Best of luck to you, I hope you do your grandpa proud. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
bigshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 06:11 PM   #3
Dogfish
Steelhead

Coool rifle! I inherited my grampa's Remington 740. The semi auto version of the rifle you got. I got a synthetic stock for it through Cabelas because the stock was cracked. They are available for the 760, as well.

I say grab a few boxes of ammo, at least 3 brands, and head to the range. Find out which one works the best for your rifle, and have fun. Mine has liked the PMC Eldorado 150 grain load with the Barnes-X all copper hollow point. I have always liked that bullet, excellent performance and up to 98% weight retention.

I got a deer with it two years ago, and Grampa Forrest (the original owner) had two relatives there to witness it, one of his grandsons (me), and one of his great grandsons (my nephew Michael). Some day, Michael will get a deer with it, and hopefully my sons will, too.

As to your question of the practicality of the combo, it should be just fine for deer within 200 yards if you are an okay shot, but practice please. If you are a marksman, then you would only be limited by your ability.

USE that rifle! It has no collector value, except to you and your family. Make sure that your kids use it. Ask your dad about any game he remembers either he or his dad taking with it and pass those stories on as you allow others to use it. That's my plan, and I wouldn't sell mine, no matter what the offer was.

Now go get a deer. Andy
Old 10-23-2001, 06:15 PM   #4
Dogfish
Steelhead

P.S. I took off the old K-4 Weaver and put a Williams peep sight on it, instead. Works like a charm, and with the smaller apeture, I feel very confident out to 200 yards.

Andy
Old 10-23-2001, 07:24 PM   #5
SureSet
Steelhead

The 760 is a fine rifle and the '06 is a classic for big game. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for deer, antelope and even Elk. I recall reading that the 760 was even used in competitive shooting competitions years back because of it's inherant accuracy. Pump Actions give you a pretty fast cycle time and the only problems I've ever seen have been related to dirty/damaged clips and resultant misfeeds.

Steve
SureSet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 10:49 PM   #6
Robert
Chromer

Dogfish,
How accurate is your 740? I was thinking about getting one. How long is the barrel? How much does barrel length effect the accuracy? Where can you get peeps sight for it? Is the peep sigth effected much by low light conditions?

Thanks Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 08:06 AM   #7
Artwo
King Salmon

Saltine,
I shot a 760 pump for about my first ten years of hunting as a kid for deer and elk only in a 270 cal., loved that gun, should never have sold it. But for the last 20 years I've shot exclusively a Remington 30-06 either semi-auto or bolt action. The best factory load I've found the last couple years for both deer and elk (I to hunt where my shots are long) is the Remington Premium 165 grain ballist tip. I've had know problem taking deer out to 300 yards and elk to 200 yards with them. I to would say......practice, practice, practice shot placement is everything.

JK
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 08:31 AM   #8
Zen Leecher aka Bill W
Steelhead

Saltine,

Only thing I'd check on your rifle is whether the scope is a good one. I'd make sure it wouldn't fog up on me in rainy or damp conditions.

Other than that you've got a fair rifle for hunting with. Shoot factory ammo and don't bother with reloads as a pump doesn't have the same camming action as a bolt, which makes the pump a little more sensitive to chambering oversize cases.

One more thing. The cobra strap slings are more comfortable than the military style slings. Just mentioning that as I'd bet it's got a military style sling on it.. or no sling at all.

Email me directly if you'd want more info. I see we both live in Kirkland.
Old 10-24-2001, 09:14 AM   #9
Dogfish
Steelhead

Hi Robert,

My 740 isn't a tack driver, about 2.5" at 100 yards with the smallest apeture peep I can get, but think of it as a small orange. At 200, I'm hitting a grapefruit sized target. That should be more than accurate.

I have only taken two animals at distances where I needed a scope, one at 225, and one at 205, both deer. All my other deer have been from 15 feet to 150 yards with most being in the 50 yard range. All my elk have been taken at ranges less than 40 yards, all cows, 3 with a muzzle loader, one with a shotgun, all with open sights.

I think I have the 24" barrel, maybe it is 22", but they made one with an 18" barrel, as well. The extra 4 to 6 inches makes a little difference, IMHO, because you have a longer sighting plane. I had my peep installed on te rear of the receiver, so my sighting plane was increased by about an additional 10" from the original barrel mounted rear sight. With a scope, I think you might find little difference, if any, but you may lose a few FPS. Gun's and Ammo did a few tests on this.

Peep sights, either Williams or Lyman, should be available through Brownells or Midway. I would get a few different sizes to carry with you. I have two.

Low light does affect the peep, but when I hunt at first light with peeps, I just unscrew the peep and put it in my pocket. The threaded hole then acts like a ghost ring sight for your rifle, but I would keep shots short, under 50 yards. I have taken two deer this way.

You will only find 740's at used gun stores and in the classified adds. The newest model is the 7400, but in between, they made the 742. If you reload, buy dies that are specifically "SMALL BASE" dies, or you will have issues chambering your reloads.

Andy
Old 10-24-2001, 09:31 AM   #10
Predator Dawg
Steelhead

Thanks for all of the useful info guys, it really helps.

Zen, you are correct, it has a leather military strap that needs updating. I'll check out the Cobra for sure.

Upon closer inspection, the mag is not in the gun, thus I am sure it will not be findable. Any thoughts on where to locate one? First thing that comes to my mind is Central Gun down on 1st in Seattle.

Andy, cool to hear you have the hand-me-down as well. Certainly does create alot of personal value to use one my Granfather used on the old Walnut farm.

Thanks again guys,

Steve
Old 10-24-2001, 11:31 AM   #11
birdhunter
Tuna!

Here is what I found at www.e-gunparts.com. Don't know for sure if this is what you're looking for, but if it isn't, I bet they have it. Look around on the site. Hope this helps.

Remington 760
Item No. 196830A
Magazine Assembly, .30-06, 4 Round
Retail Price: $23.85
Old 10-24-2001, 11:34 AM   #12
Zen Leecher aka Bill W
Steelhead

The 760, 740 and their variations all use the same clip.
Old 10-24-2001, 03:40 PM   #13
Predator Dawg
Steelhead

Birdhunter,

I think you nailed it exactly. Thanks so much to everyone.

Steve