Notices

Old 05-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #781
Doublelung
Ifish Nate

Default Re: 2017 Willamette River Springer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsauce View Post
Not a report, but an inquiry.

I only made one Willy attempt this year, after a mishap with the bait cooler somehow disappearing, my kids and I skunked it up couple weeks back.

I wanna give it a second attempt tomorrow. Should I anchor up in channel and fish kwiks or troll the downtown area with herring and/or lures? Was thinking with the jump in water temp, fish would be more inclined to hit on the troll.

Any help is appreciated! PM's welcome.
Troll herring anywhere from the Harbor to the Channel. 4-5oz of lead, pole dancer flasher, 20-25' on the line counter, lines at a 45 degree angle, and don't touch the rod until it's absolutely buried and taking line (really soft biters that tend not to hook if you grab the bite too soon; ask me how I know ).

Doublelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #782
spinner53
Ifish Nate

I don't have dedicated Springer rods and have been using a salmon 1084 for pulling herring. With the reports of sub 15# fish, should I use a st 1025 I have ? It's rated 8-17 lb.s .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #783
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner53 View Post
I don't have dedicated Springer rods and have been using a salmon 1084 for pulling herring. With the reports of sub 15# fish, should I use a st 1025 I have ? It's rated 8-17 lb.s .

A bit light for 5 ounces of lead imo. I would use a 10-20 with a bit more confidence in the lead weights. My go to is a 12-25 9'7".

Old 05-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #784
spinner53
Ifish Nate

Thanks, the guy I'm fishing with wants to use 8 oz, so I will bring the 1084

Old 05-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #785
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner53 View Post
Thanks, the guy I'm fishing with wants to use 8 oz, so I will bring the 1084

Yep go with the salmon rod!

Good Luck too!!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #786
piscean
Steelhead

Somebody said it right...try to sit 5 feet from your rod with hands in your coat pocket...pant pocket will be uncomfortable :P
piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #787
Bladdershy
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublelung View Post
Troll herring anywhere from the Harbor to the Channel. 4-5oz of lead, pole dancer flasher, 20-25' on the line counter, lines at a 45 degree angle, and don't touch the rod until it's absolutely buried and taking line (really soft biters that tend not to hook if you grab the bite too soon; ask me how I know ).
A trailing treble off your double mooch rig will get those soft biters 9 out of 10 times have figured that out over the last month. Well actually a guide showed me Has payed off ten fold
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #788
fishsauce
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladdershy View Post
A trailing treble off your double mooch rig will get those soft biters 9 out of 10 times have figured that out over the last month. Well actually a guide showed me Has payed off ten fold
What size treble?

"Voodoo"
22' Hewescraft SeaRunner ET HT

fishsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #789
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscean View Post
Somebody said it right...try to sit 5 feet from your rod with hands in your coat pocket...pant pocket will be uncomfortable :P
I do a lot of "self talk" while in the boat...reminding myself to stay calm, keep my hands off the rod (except I usually am holding it). Does it work when the fish hits? Heck no! Well, this year, I wouldn't call it a "hit" rather a "tease".
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #790
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsOutdrs View Post
I do a lot of "self talk" while in the boat...reminding myself to stay calm, keep my hands off the rod (except I usually am holding it). Does it work when the fish hits? Heck no! Well, this year, I wouldn't call it a "hit" rather a "tease".
I wait for them to "run" in a direction before the hookset ?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #791
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverJohn View Post
I wait for them to "run" in a direction before the hookset ?
Actually, we use Maruto hooks...very tough, VERY sharp and the fish usually hooks itself. Of course, unless he/she jumps out of the water before its set. I couldn't figure out you can prepare for a fish jumping but hubby clued me in. I lost a big fall chinook one time...took off screaming across half the Columbia and then came up...really high...and tossed the hook. I put a curse on it! lol
Keep in mind, as I've said tons of times...I'm probably not as experienced as all of you but I have a very knowledgeable guide. He even comes home with me! ha
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #792
RiverJohn
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsOutdrs View Post
Actually, we use Maruto hooks...very tough, VERY sharp and the fish usually hooks itself. Of course, unless he/she jumps out of the water before its set. I couldn't figure out you can prepare for a fish jumping but hubby clued me in. I lost a big fall chinook one time...took off screaming across half the Columbia and then came up...really high...and tossed the hook. I put a curse on it! lol
Keep in mind, as I've said tons of times...I'm probably not as experienced as all of you but I have a very knowledgeable guide. He even comes home with me! ha
Ha!! All the time I see the wife doing a great job fighting a fish, husband grabs the pole "fish off!!" Not your scenario, just something I see so often.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #793
JHawKS
Tuna!

We set the clickers on w medium drag and ignore them until theyre screamin. Any live reports this morning?
JHawKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #794
ohmytodd
Coho

1 for 1 out of Willy Park. Launched at 5:30am, done at 7:02. Nice little 26" buck that took a big old pink, white and green spinner with prawn. Herring went ignored, probably because it was wearing a ridiculous little green hat. The little sucker took a bunch of line when he hit and jumped right out of the water into the net after 3 runs under the boat. Lost the spinner blade in the process. I guess it wasn't my lucky one, or at least I hope it wasn't. Back at it at dawn's early light tomorrow.
ohmytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #795
RCR Rocks
Coho

I live an ahour and ahalf from Willamette park is it to late to head out to fish today
RCR Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #796
builder
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR Rocks View Post
I live an ahour and ahalf from Willamette park is it to late to head out to fish today
Not at all. There is usually an evening bite and it does not seem like it gets dark until about 9:00 now days.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #797
Happy ours
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverJohn View Post
Ha!! All the time I see the wife doing a great job fighting a fish, husband grabs the pole "fish off!!" Not your scenario, just something I see so often.
Husband grabs pole sets hook wakes up wife and wife lands fish, works in our boat
Happy ours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #798
sinkerhead

Took a few of the wedding party out this morning. 0 for 1 near the Fremont on CPH and pole dancer. 17 on the counter with 8oz. 4 rods fishing.
sinkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #799
Pondosa
Steelhead

To the guide in the nice blue wrapped sled who had to tell the two of us in my boat each fishing 2 rods in the harbor this morning. "You aren't allowed to fish with 2 rods"... I would think that it would be your job to know the regulations of the waters you are fishing. Thanks for your input, its all good.

If I was one of your dudes I'd be a little annoyed to learn later that I could have been fishing with a valid 2 rod endorsement.
Pondosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #800
ohmytodd
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosa View Post
To the guide in the nice blue wrapped sled who had to tell the two of us in my boat each fishing 2 rods in the harbor this morning. "You aren't allowed to fish with 2 rods"... I would think that it would be your job to know the regulations of the waters you are fishing. Thanks for your input, its all good.

If I was one of your dudes I'd be a little annoyed to learn later that I could have been fishing with a valid 2 rod endorsement.
I trolled behind a guide boat last week with 2 guys on it and 6 rods out for most of the morning. Not knowing if guides have different rules to follow I didn't say anything but it seemed fishy to me.
ohmytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #801
JHawKS
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosa View Post

Did you have any luck fishing?
JHawKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #802
Pondosa
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawKS View Post
Did you have any luck fishing?
Not this morning. I saw 2 nets and heard of 2 others. Was out 5:15 - 9:00 this morning. Hopefully evening session goes well. This was the first zero take down trip for me in some time. I think I was getting spoiled or starting to think I had something wired on these Willamette fish. As they are moving now in decent numbers with the temps, I probably blank for a while.
Pondosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #803
fishsauce
Tuna!

Quote:
Not a report, but an inquiry.

I only made one Willy attempt this year, after a mishap with the bait cooler somehow disappearing, my kids and I skunked it up couple weeks back.

I wanna give it a second attempt tomorrow. Should I anchor up in channel and fish kwiks or troll the downtown area with herring and/or lures? Was thinking with the jump in water temp, fish would be more inclined to hit on the troll.

Any help is appreciated! PM's welcome.
Well... my plans to fish today got squashed. Came home yesterday to see this...

The contractor I hired has been on the job for two weeks. Wouldn't you know it, of all days, yesterday he decides to dump a mountain of gravel on my driveway.

Wanna take a guess at what's behind door number 1? Still no report here...

"Voodoo"
22' Hewescraft SeaRunner ET HT

fishsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #804
Joe Schmo
Ifish Nate

That's hilarious!! For almost everyone...except you and the people you were gonna take fishin. Coulda been worse.
Joe Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #805
steel_beaver
Tuna!

Fished Fred's 5am to 2pm with a guide. Super slow. Had one takedown at 12:30 but didn't stick. CPH with green fish flash at 20'. Checker had 5/17
steel_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #806
fishinman
Tuna!

Default 2017 Willamette River Springer Thread

It happened to me also I specifically said do not block gate. I shoveled like crazy for two days

fishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #807
Happy ours
Steelhead

Few fish being checked at launches but very few posting
Old 05-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #808
Happy ours
Steelhead

Quote:

The contractor I hired has been on the job for two weeks. Wouldn't you know it, of all days, yesterday he decides to dump a mountain of gravel on my driveway.

Wanna take a guess at what's behind door number 1? Still no report here...
I like the boat garage wish I had one
Old 05-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #809
fishwisher
Coho

What a change from a week ago ! We were only out 3 hours, but went 0/0 in the harbor. Couldn't get a whiff. Talked to lots of other folks fishing and didn't hear of anyone having so much as a bite -- although given other posts here there must have been some.
fishwisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #810
john.ishy
Steelhead

Quote:
Look on the bright side, if it was supposed to be dumped next door, you would of been miffed.
john.ishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #811
jagosh
Steelhead

50 hours without a take down, 33 of them on the Willy. It was all over in about 15 minutes, for the boat, not just me.

It's hard to describe to my non fishing friends and family what a rod take down looks and feels like, but you all understand. It haunts our dreams, seeing a rod look suspicious, eyeballing it, willing it to taco, and then it does, click drag on, the thump of the rod in the holder and then it's on. I got that three times today and even got to net a fish which I don't get to do very often.

I got to see the BITE for the first time today. 15 boats just downstream, Lowest boat has a rod fold, then another and another, hearing the words "get ready" and having them mean something!

It's a drug and a cure in one. Tired, back sore from age, pain gone in a moment, hands shaking as I try and write up the tag.... you know the feeling I am attempting to describe.

First Willamette fish, first fish in May.

(My fish and the one I netted)
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #812
piscean
Steelhead

Launched at cathedral...saw one jack caught....and the guy threw it back. Saw one sturgeon caught on a flasher and herring rig. Fished from about 10 till 3...fish checker reported 11 caught out of 40 or so boats. We fished 2 rods and 0 to claim.
piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #813
fishwisher
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagosh View Post
50 hours without a take down, 33 of them on the Willy. It was all over in about 15 minutes, for the boat, not just me.

It's hard to describe to my non fishing friends and family what a rod take down looks and feels like, but you all understand. It haunts our dreams, seeing a rod look suspicious, eyeballing it, willing it to taco, and then it does, click drag on, the thump of the rod in the holder and then it's on. I got that three times today and even got to net a fish which I don't get to do very often.

I got to see the BITE for the first time today. 15 boats just downstream, Lowest boat has a rod fold, then another and another, hearing the words "get ready" and having them mean something!

It's a drug and a cure in one. Tired, back sore from age, pain gone in a moment, hands shaking as I try and write up the tag.... you know the feeling I am attempting to describe.

First Willamette fish, first fish in May.

(My fish and the one I netted)
What an excellent description of that feeling. Congrats!
Where on the river were you fishing when that bite hit?
fishwisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #814
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagosh View Post
Glad you scored....it's easier from here on out.

From some places, sounds like it was a good bite between 7 and ~9am

Outside of Germany people often wonder at the palpable fraudulence of (1936 National Socialist) propaganda, the stupid incredible exaggerations, the ludicrous reticences concerning what is generally known. Who can be convinced by it? They ask. The answer is that it is not meant to convince but to impress.” Sebastian Haffner

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #815
biederboat
Sturgeon

Fished Swan Island for 4 hours this afternoon, no action but supposedly another boat had one that was taking out when we were putting in.

BB
biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #816
OCTrollin
Steelhead

Boat limit after work.

OCTrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #817
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Nice job OCT - good, better, best!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PDX Tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #818
cully2
Coho

2/2 in OC area from 1-6. What a beautiful night got a last-minute impromptu trip with the best success for the season. As picking up to leave, got a 15lbs'r that fought like a 30lbs'r in a coastal river and as handlining it in, the leader broke right as we netted it! Never seen a springer rip line like that. Saw a lot of good action all around us. They are here . Huge props to Darrins guide service (diesel performance wrap)? His buddy in the boat gave us some tips at the dock and even a few live sand shrimp. If they are that cool at the dock I can only imagine a trip with them.