IFish Fishing Forum banner

Long-term ammunition Storage Ideas

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  riflearcher 
#1 ·
I am looking for advice on ammunition storage for 6 months to ~2 years. I am looking for ideas outside of a safe (it is completely full) that people are using. Also, the option of a bigger safe or second safe isn't practical.

Do you think having it in factory packaging is ok for a year or two? Do you think it needs to be sealed?

Anyway, I'd like to hear some of your solutions.

Much appreciated!

FiHuFun

#2 · (Edited)
Ammunition will keep idefinitely at low temp and low humidity. Temperatures should be below 100F. Humidity around here is not a problem. Humidity in the Gulf Coast states, now that's a problem

Throw the boxes into a 50 mm ammo can and add some silica gel if you want.

2 years in this climate is definitely not a problem. I've stored ammo in and out of safes for over 8 years without any problems whatsoever.

Don't worry about it.

#5 ·
Army cans here as well. Army cans were designed for this AND they are capable of containing exploding shells very well, in the event of fire.

But let me bring something to your attention...
Fire is a big threat. If you have a fire, they will let it burn to the ground rather than risk lives. So the burden of fire prevention falls souly on you.
if your garage temp is controlled and it doesn't get too hot in the summers, that is the best place to store ammo and powder. At least you can pop the garage door and hose it down before things get out of control. Installing a fire sprinkler over your ammo/powder storage cabinets and/or gun safe is a wise thing to do. Doing this will protect you, your family and your firearms/ammo/powder.

Keep all your smoke detectors in top working order as well.
Think ahead and take precautions.

Trust me on this, I had a flash fire from gas water heater to the wife's lint can by the clothes dryer and we almost lost our home. If it were not for working detectors,and quick reaction on my part with the garden hose, I'd have lost everything. I caught it early and had it under control by the time TVFD arrived. They were impressed and told me i was one lucky man. Needless to say, we take fire VERY seriously at the Hunt'nFish home.

Have an excape plan for the kids and family. Teach them what to do to punch out their window screen and to get out NOW. Teach them to not worry about Mom/Dad...they should get themselves out FIRST, then go to neighbors and bash down their door if nessesary and call 911. Mom/Dad will worry about the fire, the cat & dog.
Hunt'nFish

#6 ·
This is some very good advice thanks:applause:

Army cans here as well. Army cans were designed for this AND they are capable of containing exploding shells very well, in the event of fire.

But let me bring something to your attention...
Fire is a big threat. If you have a fire, they will let it burn to the ground rather than risk lives. So the burden of fire prevention falls souly on you.
if your garage temp is controlled and it doesn't get too hot in the summers, that is the best place to store ammo and powder. At least you can pop the garage door and hose it down before things get out of control. Installing a fire sprinkler over your ammo/powder storage cabinets and/or gun safe is a wise thing to do. Doing this will protect you, your family and your firearms/ammo/powder.

Keep all your smoke detectors in top working order as well.
Think ahead and take precautions.

Trust me on this, I had a flash fire from gas water heater to the wife's lint can by the clothes dryer and we almost lost our home. If it were not for working detectors,and quick reaction on my part with the garden hose, I'd have lost everything. I caught it early and had it under control by the time TVFD arrived. They were impressed and told me i was one lucky man. Needless to say, we take fire VERY seriously at the Hunt'nFish home.

Have an excape plan for the kids and family. Teach them what to do to punch out their window screen and to get out NOW. Teach them to not worry about Mom/Dad...get out yourself FIRST. Go to neighbors and bash down their door if nessesary and call 911. Mom/Dad will worry about the fire, the cat & dog.
Hunt'nFish

#7 ·
I am happy with the used ammo cans that I have (although they can get a little heavy if I really load them up). I have three of them, and I store them in the garage. If you try these, and you get used ones, you might check to make sure the seals are functional. Maybe you can get new cans too?

I am not sure about shelf life of ammunition. I guess I have not really worried about it too much, provided that I use the stuff within the reasonably near future (few years). So far so good!

Great comments on fire safety.

#8 ·
build a 12'x12' room in your garage, 2x6 walls, insulate it, install 5/8" fire code drywall on exterior and interior with a solid core fire code door and a wall heater to control temprature. build shelves and fill them up. might even have room for a dresser for hunting clothes and reloading bench. or you could just buy a rolling mechanics tool box that locks up and store your ammo in the drawers

#10 ·
Thats good advice Hunt'nFish.

I keep my shells in plastic waterproof ammo boxes, they are the same size and look like the military type. Make certain not to put anything damp in the boxes, water can't get in, but it cant get out either. I use these boxes for storing many things, electronic hunting gear, powder, etc.

#11 ·
One thing NOT to do....is keep any bottles of copper solvent or other "salts" in the same container with your ammo. The ammonia fumes from leaking bottles leaches out the copper in the brass and makes the cases super brittle.

Upon firing such brass, the cartridg case will fail in a multitude of ways, from split & separted necks and bases to total case failure resulting in a stuck case in the chamber.
Not worth trying to save such brass, toss it and save yourself the grief.
Hunt'nFish

PS: tossing in a couple Desi bags is a very good idea as well. Paper lunch bags of clay kitty litter baked in the oven will substitute nicely for a dessicant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.