Retirement - now what? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 01-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
OneRaggedHole
Steelhead

Default Retirement - now what?

At the end of this month I'll be retiring. I haven't yet figured out what, if anything, I want to do next, only that I am done with what I've done for the past 25 plus years. At 51 I'm still relatively young and will likely find a second career or volunteer or who knows? A supplemental income would be nice but not an absolute necessity. Right now I think I'll give myself six months to a year to see how retirement treats me but something tells me I'm going to get restless.

I'm wondering what kinds of things my fellow ifishers have gone on to do after retirement. Part time jobs? Self employment? Education? Volunteerism? Leisure? Lets hear it.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
JD77
Tuna!

Default Re: Retirement - now what?

Don't do what my mom did after she retired which was basically spin her wheels at home and wonder why she stopped working. My suggestion would be take a couple trips at the "perfect" time of year and then find some work with young g people to keep you young. When I was 25 years old I coached freshman and JV high school sports and it was one of the best things I ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRaggedHole View Post
At the end of this month I'll be retiring. I haven't yet figured out what, if anything, I want to do next, only that I am done with what I've done for the past 25 plus years. At 51 I'm still relatively young and will likely find a second career or volunteer or who knows? A supplemental income would be nice but not an absolute necessity. Right now I think I'll give myself six months to a year to see how retirement treats me but something tells me I'm going to get restless.

I'm wondering what kinds of things my fellow ifishers have gone on to do after retirement. Part time jobs? Self employment? Education? Volunteerism? Leisure? Lets hear it.
JD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Artwo
King Salmon

My vision of retirement is to do what I want to do, not what I have to do.......

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, been at it at the same company for almost 30 years. But when that time comes for me I plan to give back where ever I can......

Congrats on your retirement. Have fun, you earned it....
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
Abalone
King Salmon

Retirement = " Every days a hiliday " No brainer.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
The Pew
Ifish Nate

My Grandmother used to travel around to YMCA camps and work for a season. They were located near things like the Grand Canyon and Winter Park Colorado.

They had the option of working for room and board or room and board plus some wages. Obviously you did more for wages. She met some life long friends, lived places she wouldn't have otherwise and got to do the local recreation things for free or greatly reduced.

If you've ever thought of hosting campsites, don't overlook fish hatcheries through ODFW. I've heard that is better than campgrounds with lots of campers.

Our joke at work is everyone who retires has fun their first summer, then their first winter they become a recluse and start studying their ancestry after that they either seem to figure out retirement or go down hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Pew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
fishy2k
Tuna!

[QUOTE=OneRaggedHole;13558113]At the end of this month I'll be retiring. I haven't yet figured out what, if anything, I want to do next, only that I am done with what I've done for the past 25 plus years. At 51 I'm still relatively young and will likely find a second career or volunteer or who knows? A supplemental income would be nice but not an absolute necessity. Right now I think I'll give myself six months to a year to see how retirement treats me but something tells me I'm going to get restless.

I'm wondering what kinds of things my fellow ifishers have gone on to do after retirement. Part time jobs? Self employment? Education? Volunteerism? Leisure? Lets hear it.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the club in a few weeks!!! I retired almost one year ago, Jan. 28, and I haven't looked back. Wife is still working so I have a lot of time to myself, except in the summer when she is off work. It is important to keep busy. I sure am, and wonder how I ever got anything done around the house when I was working. I am a bit older that you at 64, so no interest in outside work. Do something you enjoy in your time off. Go fishing!! Good luck and congrats!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Derek Sutton
Fry

Congrats! I'm a ways away but have been witnessing my parents' retirements. Both of them worked in an office their entire careers. Lack of interaction with others and activities that require mental type effort seem to be the big ones. My dad got involved with a great golf league, holding a number of positions on board. Loves it, only a few hours a week but gets to do a number of things that makes him think. My mom took a hobby and started a small business selling some of the products. Not for the money but gives her a reason to do more and get out to work with the couple of retailers. They say you can only do so much vacationing, yard work/ gardening, house stuff, fishing, golfing, etc.

I think at 51 you're going to want "something" todo depending on what you're retiring from and what your hobbies are. And being 51 I'm guessing you won't have many other retired guys your age.

Good luck! What a great position to be in!
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

I'm 30 but I've always hoped to be forced into early retirement. I would spend my days fishing for steelhead in the winter, hunting morels in the spring, fly fishing and gold prospecting in the summer, and deer/elk hunting in the fall

My dads thinking about it and I know he plans on staying busy on a family property in Michigan during the summers...logging, building, etc. Sorry if I'm not of much help but I got excited for you when I read your thread. Hope your golden years are a blast
Hydrophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
jagare
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRaggedHole View Post

You might start with cougar camp, Feb 10 - 20. It's a good way to meet other ifish people, and have a good time! I retired three years ago at 63. The first week was deer season then elk season! That really showed me how easy it was to stay busy! What ever you do don't hang near the refrigerator and the television! Good luck and stay busy! Travel is good but I got bored with going all the time, my wife also got tired of travel!
jagare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
Ragde
Steelhead

After a 40 year career, retirement came 13 months ago. Besides having plenty of time for fishing and hunting, my wife and I helped start a summer camp for kids of incarcerated people. Had 80 kids our first camp in August '16...shooting for 150 kids summer of 2017. Take time for yourself, but also realize how good it feels to do good things for others! Congrats!
Ragde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:36 AM   #11
Finn-icky
Tuna!

First of all congratulations. Not many can be in a position to retire at your age. I retired 3+ years ago and it took me well over a year to get used to the change so my suggestion is don't think 6 months to one year will tell the entire story. For you it may but???
I find myself spending more time helping others than anything. Also have plenty of time to fish and hunt when the opportunities arise. Not knowing you is difficult to make suggestions that are meaningful so frankly you will need to decide what rings your bell the most. Getting a part time job isn't bad if you want to be anchored down and not be able to blast off at a moments notice. I was going to a local gym when the owner asked if I could help him out by working 3 hours a day, 2 days a week. Doesn't sound like much but as soon as springer season arrived those 2 days a week got in the way. I did meet several new friends during that time so there was value added.
I've also been able to take care of projects at home that had been on hold far to long. Now that I have them caught up I have a new idea on a product that may be of some value so will be spending time on that. Currently we are in Mexico visiting friends. Yep, spur of the moment opening so we bought the tickets and came down. As was mentioned earlier having the freedom to do what you want at any time is hard to beat.
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 AM   #12
sadiesassy
King Salmon

Many people fail at retiring.
Try travel - When you are not in peak seasons
Volunteer
Take up a new hobby
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:47 AM   #13
Timber Tech
Ifish Nate

Two words: commercial fishing
Get your own boat and fish on your terms and get a few extra bucks...that's my plan anyway.
Congrats BTW!
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 AM   #14
jvp
King Salmon

boredom kills.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
loper
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Tech View Post
Get your own boat and fish on your terms and get a few extra bucks...
Also a possibility as a member of the Columbia River Northern Pikeminnow Extermination Squad
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #16
Rocklock
Chromer

When I retired my wife was still working so I picked up more of the household stuff to help her out while still being able to ramp up my recreational activities.

When she retired we finally bought that RV we had been talking about and started traveling. Half the fun is the deciding and planning the trip. Sometimes we just pick up and go to the beach. Hunting trips still figure in (gotta keep the bird dog happy) but the pressure is off and I can go when I want and the weather cooperates.

Best thing I ever did was take my watch off and throw it in a drawer.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #17
JWKeller
Steelhead

I retired at 55, seven years ago. I do a lot of volunteering to stay busy: Scouts, church, gun club. Keeps me active and motivated. And I have plenty of people to interact with. Oh yeah, and I spend too much time reading a certain web site.
JWKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #18
ccw
King Salmon

One of the best of first world problems for sure.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #19
Joe Schwab

I "retired" at 53 , then proceeded to try every thing I ever dreamed of doing. I guided successfully in Alaska, opened a fishing lodge B&B on little down, ran it for 6 years, sold it and came back to Oregon, worked full time part time jobs just because I could. There was no worry of job security because I knew I could walk anytime I wanted. But I always gave it the best I had until I was 68 and health required I stop. At 75 I would love to return to work but I know I cannot. I am going to look into speaking on men's Cancer issues as a survivor. In addition I've written and published 3 books. Just for me.