IFish Fishing Forum banner

How many nautical miles from Neah Bay to Vancouver, Island

11K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Woodhunter 
#1 · (Edited)
Call me cheap. Call me stupid. Call me both.

But I am scheduled to meet two friends in Ucluelet, B.C. on the west side of Vancouver Island on July 20. We'll each have our own 21-foot Ranger Tugs, which are really trawlers made up to look like cute little tugs.

It's going to cost me $250 each way to take my truck/boat on the ferry from Vancouver, B.C. to Nanaimo, for a total of $500. Then the drive to Ucluelet and back, plus the cost of parking the truck/trailer for this two-week boating adventure. We're spending one week exploring the Broken Group island in Barkley Sound and one week exploring Clayquot Sound. When we're done, I may spend another week salmon/halibut fishing out of Tofino, B.C.

Let me be clear here. My biggest fear in the world is drowning to death, so I am NOT about to take any stupid risks or do anything that threaten life or limb.

But if weather/water conditions are good, it sure seems like I could save myself beaucoup bucks by crossing from Neah Bay to the southwestern part of Vancouver Island, then sidling up the coast to Ucluelet. Tides, currents, wind, crossing international borders, yes, all of those things have to be working in my favor or I won't go.

So I'm just trying to find out how far it is, how much time it might take at a given per-nautical-mile rate, etc.

Has anybody here made that trek? Any suggestions or advice? All constructive comments welcome.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

JohnnietheK

See less See more
#4 ·
and you need to check in at customs arriving and coming back (been there, done that).

Leave from Rosch harbor if you want to do that.

But in the long run cinsidering fuel, drive to Vancouver BC, take the Ferry to Nanimo, and drive up. You will come out ahead.

#5 ·
:agree::yeahthat:
Make sure you take the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal to cross over to Nanaimo. It's just across the border and easier then driving thru the Big' Couv. Don't forget your pass ports! Another idea for a beautiful safe journey would be to drive to Port Alberni from Nanaimo, launch there, and cruise the Alberni Inlet all the way south to Bamfield. It is a port of entry and a nice place to dock overnight. It is at the end of the inlet and just east of the Broken Group and Barkley Sound. we did it in my 21' Campion Explorer one summer. It was much safer than crossing the straits!

#8 · (Edited)
Uh, you do not want to leave a tow vehicle in Neah Bay.

Why not Port Angeles? 21 mile run across the straits to Victoria. Clear customs in Victoria and head west along the Vancouver Island coast. When you return to Port Angeles you have to clear the US customs.

Or, take the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. Call the Black Ball Ferry Line in Port Angeles and ask how much. 360-457-4491. Don't forget reservations, Ferry is crowded in the summer.

And watch the weather if you run across in the 21 footer. Often windy in the afternoons, a strong westerly combined with a outgoing current will give you excellent broaching conditions if you are crossing.

I would do a serious fuel cost for the boat compared to towing and ferry costs, you may be suprised, especially if you consider the boat run time. If the weather kicks up you will not be able to run across, either to or from the island. Yesterday you could have run across in a 13 foot aluminum skiff.

If your trawler runs slow, the time alone will not be worth running the boat across!!! Especially if you are bucking a current, which can be stiff in the straits.

And the SW Vancouver island coast can get real nasty in a weather change. Trust what GPT said, there is nowhere to hide on the SW island coast, especially in a 21 footer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.