maglip questions - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Steeliedan
Chromer

Question maglip questions

What is the correct way to rig up a maglip when back trolling? Lets say the boat im in is pulling lead/flashers/herring and i wanted to pull a maglip for awhile at the same time, i know maglips will dive 20 ft, but what if youre fishing water deeper than 20ft? Is it possible to get the plug to work correctly at the same speed youre backtrolling your herring? Does the dropper need to be longer or could i just swap out my flasher rigging for a maglip on a leader and put my rod back out?

thanks in advance!!!

Steeliedan

Steeliedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
fishpun
Steelhead

Default Re: maglip questions

I'm curious about that, too.
fishpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
KalamaGeo
Sturgeon

At trolling speed, I would think flat lining would be just fine. Try their website and look at the tech tips. They have a lot of info on how to fish a variety of lures.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

Haven't used the Maglip, but have used mag wiggle warts for springers and caught fish. What we did was fish them bare in water under 20 foot deep, and with a spreader and sinker if it was deeper. Kwikfish work fine this way, too. Have had some killer days with a J-plug, too.

Just swap a 4 to 6 foot leader for the herring leader and use the same rig with an appropriate sinker weight. I would increase the length of the dropper to 3 feet.

I don't use these any more, though, because I have more confidence in a herring than I used to, and more patience to stick with it. But there is no reason not to use a plug, they definitely will work.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Steeliedan
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaGeo View Post
At trolling speed, I would think flat lining would be just fine. Try their website and look at the tech tips. They have a lot of info on how to fish a variety of lures.
Is flatlining feesable when there are a hundred boats all around you? i was under the impression that flatling required more line out the back of the boat?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Steeliedan
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hilton View Post
Haven't used the Maglip, but have used mag wiggle warts for springers and caught fish. What we did was fish them bare in water under 20 foot deep, and with a spreader and sinker if it was deeper. Kwikfish work fine this way, too. Have had some killer days with a J-plug, too.

Just swap a 4 to 6 foot leader for the herring leader and use the same rig with an appropriate sinker weight. I would increase the length of the dropper to 3 feet.

I don't use these any more, though, because I have more confidence in a herring than I used to, and more patience to stick with it. But there is no reason not to use a plug, they definitely will work.
Thanks for the help!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Howell N Good Time
Steelhead

Diver or Flatline below Bonneville this fall?
Howell N Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
weekender
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeliedan View Post
Is flatlining feesable when there are a hundred boats all around you? i was under the impression that flatling required more line out the back of the boat?

Where are you talking? Troll speed and current and paramount in determining your dropper length.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
KalamaGeo
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeliedan View Post

Of course flatlining isn't feesable when there are a hundred boats around you.
You didn't mention crowds in your original question. Just "how to".

To get the fatlip down to 20 feet, you would probably have 75 feet of line out the back. Not a good thing to have that much line out in a crowd. If you are by yourself then give it a go. Your question also mentions backtrolling. That sounds like you were asking about smaller rivers. Usually you aren't "backtrolling" the columbia. Rather you are forward trolling. Though backtrolling is done by some on an incoming tide. Face west and let the gear out the back. The current will push you east and in effect you will be "backtrolling". Most people troll WITH the current to cover more ground. When backtrolling, you might try a jet diver to get the plug down deeper and not have so much line out if other boats are an issue.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
wildbill79
Steelhead

Im kinda new to this site but not new at using the maglip. I fish them religiously and have alot of confidence in them. Like the others have said, dont even try to flatline them in a crowd. My best results come using 30 or 40lb braid 60' out and that gets me 18' deep. Something to keep in mind when using a lead dropper for deeper holes or crowded situations that the dropper MUST be atleast 4' long. Sounds silly but the plug keeps on diggin' even though you have pinned it down with lead. This is my experience anyway. I think this one element is why people havent grasped them like they do kwikfish.
wildbill79 is offline   Reply With Quote