Best Way to Remove Stuck Bullet in Barrel? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 07-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

Default Best Way to Remove Stuck Bullet in Barrel?

Think I must of had some bad powder and have a lead bullet in my rifle barrel about 4 inches from the chamber, any ideas as the best way to remove it without screweing anything up...??

Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
bjorns4
Steelhead

Default Re: Best Way to Remove Stuck Bullet in Barrel?

I had a guy in my squad get a bullet stuck in his barrel and a cleaning rod and kevlar seemed to work pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_N_Russ View Post
Think I must of had some bad powder and have a lead bullet in my rifle barrel about 4 inches from the chamber, any ideas as the best way to remove it without screweing anything up...??
bjorns4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Dan360
Sturgeon

Never done this with a centerfire rifle, but I'd think it would be similar. If its a lead bullet, maybe get a cleaning rod mounted auger, screw it into the bullet, and pull with all you got?

That, or maybe a wood dowel and try and tap it out. You might be able to lubricate it a bit with bore butter or something simliar (like what you'd use with a muzzleloader).

TEAM PURIST
Dan360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
stealheadwilly
Fry

get a wood dal small enough to fit in the barrel and push it out might need some light tapping with a hammer. If it went in only a couple inches sounds like no powder and just a primer.
stealheadwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
afp
Tuna!

The dowell is the idea I like best. However, not that anyone would try, do NOT put a primed case filled with even a mild powder charge into the chamber and try to fire the bullet out. There is so much that could go wrong with that approach................
afp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
native steelie
Ifish Nate

shot trap for many years. also liked to shoot at the range often. find a like size dowel or "ram rod" we called them. that should do the trick and the soft wood wont hurt any rifling.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
k9jeff
Ifish Nate

Wood dowel or a brass rod and tap it back out the way it went in. Check the barrel afterward for any damage. It shoud be fine with a lead bullet which is nice and soft.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Tapping on the rod will expand the bullet. I'd use steady pressure and a lot of it. First I'd clean the bore behind the bullet and put some light oil in the bore with the muzzle down and leave it for a good soak.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #9
guitgary
Steelhead

Hey "Russ". Do you have any more info about what caused this in the first place. I agree that it could be a primer charge without powder. I have also seen, on many occasions, incorrect rounds in a factory box! I witnessed a guy at Fishemen's open a box of '06 rounds from the shelf only to find 4 of them were .270.

If you're using a lead bullet, I assume you mean solid lead without jacketing of any type. Were you using reduced loads for cowboy events or something?

Rifling in a barrel is a tricky thing. If you have to really apply pressure...alot...or feel that "thing darned thing just won't budge"...get yourself to a local gunsmith. After removal have him check for inconsistencies in your barrel / rifling.

This is nothing to play with. You really need to find out WHY more than HOW?

Cheers
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #10
shorthair
Sturgeon

I've driven both cast & jacketed with a brass rod & normally just a couple of firm whacks with a 4# hammer with no damage to the barrel. Make sure the rod is clean so you don't add an abrasive to you barrel & 4" with cast lead is about standard for a case with no powder in <.30 cal. Not that big a deal just make sure you don't miss a stuck one & follow up with a full load.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
I've driven both cast & jacketed with a brass rod & normally just a couple of firm whacks with a 4# hammer with no damage to the barrel. Make sure the rod is clean so you don't add an abrasive to you barrel & 4" with cast lead is about standard for a case with no powder in <.30 cal. Not that big a deal just make sure you don't miss a stuck one & follow up with a full load.
+1. Guess how I know!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
cantcme
Steelhead

I use a wood dowel. having old guns i will check the bore diameter with a lead bullet by driving it through the barrel with a wood dowel. 303 brit can vary from 308 to 312 so its nice to know what to size the bullet for.
cantcme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
shorthair
Sturgeon

Don you are lucky you still have all your digits.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
adobe wall
King Salmon

Bullets stuck in the bore were a rare but regular occurance on the line when I was shooting competively. These were not cast lead bullets, but were jacketed .223 or .308 diameter jacketed match bullets.

The fix is always the same- use a cleaning rod with no jag in it (the threaded end of the rod will grab the bullet at the tip. Insert the rod from the muzzle end of the weapon (make sure the action is open) and tap the bullet back through the bore and out the chamber. No hammer necessary.

hth,
aw
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
adobe wall
King Salmon

Just remembered that black powder shooters occasionally pull cast lead bullets using a fiberglass ramrod and an insert that looks like a big wood screw. If you are using something around 40 cal or so you ought to be able to get an extra long glass ramrod and bullet puller insert. Maybe check Brownells or one of the black powder supply places- if Dixie Gun Works is still in business they'll have it.

hth
aw
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote