IFish Fishing Forum banner

Smoking brines

4K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Seafan#12 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
So im planning to use my new smoker and smoke some fish i caught and was curious if anyone had a good brine they could suggest? this is my first time smoking fish and would appreciate any suggestions.

#5 Ā·
Keep it simple...5 parts dark brown sugar, 1 part NON IODIZED or sea salt mixed together. Cut fish to your taste for size. Dry pack the fish in the sugar salt flesh to flesh and skin to skin.
Place the fish in fridge for minimum of 12 hours, dry pack will turn to liquid as it draws excess moisture out of fish. Remove from brine and lightly wash off, paper towel dry, place on racks to further dry. When surface gets a glazed appearance place in smoker and start smoking. USE NO MORE THAN 2 TRAYS OF WATER SOAKED CHIPS in a Big Chief smoker.
I use the insulated blanket or the cardboard box the smoker comes in to maintain heat. Depending on outside temp smoke/cook until you can feel slight resistance when you push your finger on the fish. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
Cool down and enjoy.
Deacon

#7 Ā·
Keep it simple...5 parts dark brown sugar, 1 part NON IODIZED or sea salt mixed together. Cut fish to your taste for size. Dry pack the fish in the sugar salt flesh to flesh and skin to skin.
Place the fish in fridge for minimum of 12 hours, dry pack will turn to liquid as it draws excess moisture out of fish. Remove from brine and lightly wash off, paper towel dry, place on racks to further dry. When surface gets a glazed appearance place in smoker and start smoking. USE NO MORE THAN 2 TRAYS OF WATER SOAKED CHIPS in a Big Chief smoker.
I use the insulated blanket or the cardboard box the smoker comes in to maintain heat. Depending on outside temp smoke/cook until you can feel slight resistance when you push your finger on the fish. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
Cool down and enjoy.
Deacon
This will work very well for you. I use 4:1 brown sugar to canning/pickling salt and add cajun seasoning after the glaze forms, just before loading the fish into the smoker. I use 3 pans of chips in a little chief.
The 5cents recipe is good too, just more complex. I like easy.

#9 Ā·
Good smoking is about temperature control. Done right it takes hours and can't be rushed. I was doing tuna last week and when the Big Chief was in the sun, it got too hot. If your product is cured properly, there is no need to use excessive heat. Time in the brine is the key to having a good cure. Remember, if the skin is on the fish, it is curing from only one side. Minimum of 24 hours for the sugar to penetrate.

#11 Ā·
2lb bag brown sugar, light or dark
1C Johnny's seasoning salt
~1/3 C Black pepper
liberally coat fish & pack in brine. Refrigerate for ~18-24 hrs, rinse, place on racks for an hour or until the meat 'glazes', smoke to your hearts contect.
Almost foolproof. I say almost because my wife's friend and her husband decided they did not want to rinse the brine off, BRILLIANT! They gave us a few pieces...straight into the trash.

#17 Ā·
The Luhr Jensen "Smoked Salmon Deluxe" recipe is really good. I tweaked it a bit and use a whole bottle of wine (Gevurtstraminer or Reisling), use 3/4 cup dark brown sugar instead of the 1/3 cup white sugar, and sub red 1T red pepper flakes for Tabasco.

Everyone loves it. Use good fish!

#18 Ā·
I've tried "Dry Brine" and never looked back. ***Morton's "Sugar Cure Salt", your flavorings. Layer in pan(fish-brine-fish), brine 2 hous, then rinse thuroughly rubbing each piece under running water. Smoke time is much shorter with dry brine. Ground Clove is my go-to ingrediant with Maple wood for smoke.
Any brown sugar goes on after the rinse
***Pug's have a "sweet tooth"

#21 Ā·
I use a wet brine with apple juice, water and some soy sauce. Mix in some brown sugar and spices and it's great. My best tip is when u pull it out of the brine let the pellicle form. Air dry the fish on the racks for at least an hour until u get that glossy, glazed look. Not wet. Outside temp plays a big roll also, not the same cook time in July as in February. Love smoked fish it's like gold in my house!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.