Custom painting lures? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
shaunpmr
Cutthroat

Default Custom painting lures?

Hi everyone.
Kinda new to the board, I dont really post that much, but had a couple questions.
What kind of paint do you use for painting plugs? Is there a certin kind or brand you use in your airbrush? Also do you put on a base coat like a primer? and then clearcoat over the top when finished?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Shaun.

shaunpmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
P8ntballrman
Tuna!

Default Re: Custom painting lures?

welcome to the board.....

Any airbrush paint will work for what you are looking to do......The two brands I like to use are House of kolor, and custom shop...... both of these work well for the plug painting that I do.

as for the base coat ........ if I want a more vibrant color I will paint a white base coat before adding my final color..... this will make the color that you chose stand out better. Good luck with your custom paint jobs...... and when your finished with a couple of plugs post them....... I'm always interested in peoples artwork......
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
skrimmy
Ifish Nate

Spaz Stix paint. Towerhobbies online site as a source.

skrimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
luckyr
Chromer

I like One Shot paint fluorescent colors. I used Air Auto Colors that in the beginning of my painting experience but ran into trouble with fish eyes when I put on my clear. And what P8ntballrman stated in his post. I use automotive clear coat. Here are some I painted with air auto colors. I also add some pearl over the white to add that little bit of sparkle but it dulls colors if applied over them. If you are interested in those air auto colors I would make you a heck of a deal on them. I also have a gallon of florescence red/orange. I would give you all of that you want to play with.
luckyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Zach Smith
Steelhead

I use a Paasche double action airbrush and the Createx auto air colors and an automotive clear coat. I really like the colors of the auto air but I was not having much luck with the paint drying real hard so I will probably look for a different brand of paint. Nice job luckyr. Those look really good. It is rewarding to catch fish on something you created.
Zach Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
Stogie
Coho

I don't paint plugs but for spinners I use the cheapest neon colored nail polish I can find. It sticks to anything and dries quickly. I usually paint them up on the boat when I'm plunking since the brush is built in.

No, you can't get an airbrush transition between two colors but in my experience the fish really don't care.

The colors I keep in the tackle box are neon green, neon blue, bright pink and a clear one with glitter. I can make up spinners, paint them, and be fishing them 15 min later.
Stogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
shaunpmr
Cutthroat

Thanks for all the info everyone!
Hey luckyr - what is a good deal on that paint??? may be interested!

Shaun.
shaunpmr is offline   Reply With Quote