Dip nets - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 09-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
alaska 41
Steelhead

Default Dip nets

I have seen a Post on several different kinds of dip nets on here. I picked up a new one for $20 the other day at a garage sale called a MAG NET. You put 6 C batteries in the handle and there are two strips of brass in the bottom of the net. When you push the button when a fish is in the net it paralyzes it for a short time so it is easy to remove the hook. The net is dipped in vinyl so the hook doesn't stick in the net. The down fall is that the handle is very heavy.

Here is something that I came up with get a nice light rayon or nylon net go to Napa and get you a can of plastic dip spray on rubber. It takes the hole can and several coats but it looks real good. It seals the strings so the hooks don't catch the Webb.

alaska 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
The Pew
Tuna!

Default Re: Dip nets

just tried a can of rubber on my net. I think that you are on to something. My can cost 7 bucks and I had enough left over to do a little wood shelf I made for the boat.

My garage test confirmed the hooks don't bury in the net. I will have to see how it holds up in the field.
The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
alaska 41
Steelhead

I think it will eliminate the hook getting into the web of the net. I haven't tried it on the Polly (green) nets but I am sure it will work the same. A lot cheaper than a rubber net and much lighter.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
SilverBullets
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska 41 View Post
I think it will eliminate the hook getting into the web of the net. I haven't tried it on the Polly (green) nets but I am sure it will work the same. A lot cheaper than a rubber net and much lighter.
Now THAT"S a great idea!! I switched to a rubber net years ago but wouldn't have if I knew of this back then. Thanks for sharing!
SilverBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Two Fister
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska 41 View Post
I have seen a Post on several different kinds of dip nets on here. I picked up a new one for $20 the other day at a garage sale called a MAG NET. You put 6 C batteries in the handle and there are two strips of brass in the bottom of the net. When you push the button when a fish is in the net it paralyzes it for a short time so it is easy to remove the hook.
I think you need a permit to run an electrofishing device. That's what that net sounds like. I'd make a couple of phone calls before the Fish Police write you a stiff ticket for fishing with an illegal device.

Just sayin'...
Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Springer nut
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fister View Post
I think you need a permit to run an electrofishing device. That's what that net sounds like. I'd make a couple of phone calls before the Fish Police write you a stiff ticket for fishing with an illegal device.

Just sayin'...
Springer nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
alaska 41
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fister View Post

Just sayin'...
You don't need to worry about that I took it all apart and got rid of the electric mess. With the heavy handle it was to much so I put a lighter handle on it and it is a nice net. Now I can get a fish in it this big.