Tackle Bag - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
xxjeeptraxx
Steelhead

Default Tackle Bag

So I have a plano guide model tackle box, Its too big to carry around, I am looking for a good tackle bag. Just big enough to carry what i need for the day, what does everyone recommend?

xxjeeptraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
LimpNoodle
Tuna!

Default Re: Tackle Bag

I've picked up a couple of different ones from Cabela's. Been VERY happy with both of them.

I currently have the Advanced Anglers Pro in the magnum size.
LimpNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Trout,myster
Tuna!

I second the Cabela's brand. I like the heavier Cordura they use on their bags. Not sure what your "day's goodies" are like, but you may want to look at their fishing backpacks also. I have an older Cabela's bag that's somewhat small, but I like a bag when fishing the jetties. They sit on rocks a lot better than a box and I just sling it over my shoulder when I move.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Steeliedan
Chromer

I like my mesh fishing vest by Columbia. I went and got some smaller tackle boxes that fit in the pockets and I'm set. I don't know about you but when packing out a fish or two its nice to have some free hands. Also, before I had the vest I had a tackle bag and honestly it just became so heavy and would kill my back cause I could pack so much in it. But then again that's just my experience bank fishing for salmon and steelhead. Good luck!
Steeliedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Wacenturion
Ifish Nate

I also like the Cabelas tackle bags. Don't have the Magnums as they don't fit well under my North River seats, but the next size down does. Have several so as to separate salmon from kokanee as an example as well as from other types (Kwiks only etc.) when I go. Works extremely well.

You can also get a smaller plastic case that fits in the front zippered area show in the picture to add to the storage. I also like the smallest sized one for all my lead weights. Keeps them away from everything else.

Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
beer gut racing
Steelhead

I like the Cabelas Magnum bag, holds 8 of the Plano boxes. Zippers are decent and it has lots of nice pockets. It's a little heavy when full, but has a shoulder strap.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104619780
beer gut racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Magnum61
Steelhead

I have the Cabelas bag. Works awesome the only part that has started to wear out is the plastic slip under the lid. Thats it.
Magnum61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Playtime
Chromer

I mainly boat fish so these are the 2 that I use depending on how many plano's I need to bring. These are great as they are rigid, fairly lilght, has a ton pockets, very flexible in storage options with easy access. I have had the other bags but have found that these work better for me. When I need to bring alot of plano's I also have plain Cabela's carry bags that holds 6 - 8 plano's.

When banking it -- its a back pack all the way.

Playtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
HenHunter2
Coho

I second the back- pack!!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.441851,-122.731581
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HenHunter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
West Linn Wader
King Salmon

If you want ultra freedom check out a waist tackle bag. Some hold quite a bit of gear and it's always with you.
West Linn Wader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Back trolling
Tuna!

A lot of the newer backpacks are great. They have dividers in the big pocket, two smaller pockets, and 3/4 small packets with holes for everything you could think of.
Back trolling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Singlesalmonfisher
Steelhead

Goodwill has lots of bags, backpacks, cheep.
Singlesalmonfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
dylane
Steelhead

Go get the Lamiglas KENAI GUIDE JACKET it is so awesome. has a million pockets. both on the outside and insde. i got close to 25 pounds of gear in it and no problem. plus has a big pocket in the back to put fish or extra clothes or even another rod broken down. Plus its super rain proof and has little velcrow wraps on the cuffs so water doesn't go down your arms. for as light as it is it is pretty warm.
dylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

I have a tackle bag that holds 4 Plano boxes, a small tackle box and a box for weights inside. The sides, front and back pockets holds spools of line, scents, flashers, tools etc. I had the Plano rigid box that holds the 4 Plano boxes, and space for some stuff on top but the bag holds twice as much gear and is smaller easier to carry.

That one that Cabela's has looks good. I can't think why you'd need to put 8 Plano boxes into a bag tho'. There's the problem of too big verses just right. Mine is "just right for me". With hundreds of bags out there, there is one that will fit YOUR needs. Good luck with your fishing adventures!
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
fish_stalker
Steelhead

I've used Cabela's XPG Deluxe backpack for two years and have been very happy with it. Lots of room and compartments for everything you need for a day outing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XPG_Deluxe.jpg (26.3 KB, 48 views)
fish_stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
Waterfrontfish
Steelhead

Just what I need.....an extra 25 pounds to lug around. If you're in a boat bring whatever you please, but if your banking or wading, the less you bring the happier you'll be! Be Well and Fish On! Mark.
Waterfrontfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
Feesh 4 Me
Fry

Does anyone have an experienced recomendation for a backpack tacklebag?
Feesh 4 Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #18
SteelhdNut
Tuna!

I used the Super Magnum from Cabela's also, and still found it wasn't big enough for professional use. I considered getting two of them but instead started looking a military grade duffles that would accept the plano style boxes easily and still close up. I found a couple different ones that fit the bill and went with an Isreali Heavy Duty bag; for about $40 it's a far heavier bag that has proven to take a beating. It's nice when going from one boat to the other, and still have all your terminal tackle together. The bag fits neatly under the rowing bench of the drift boat.
There are riveted drain holes in the bottom and it is mostly water resistant, and machine washable when it gets a little stinky.
Once washed, I spray it down with a silicone sealer and it's good to go !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (5.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #19
Fshklr
Tuna

I use a camo fanny/waist pack for hiking in and trail fishing....holds just the basics and my hands are free.
One large compartment and 6 flaps for storage....was about $30

The inside has a waterproof liner which also helps alot.

If I have a long ways to hike I have a deep backpack...top section holds terminal gear and a couple midsize plano's...plus it's deep enough to put a couple fish in for the hike out if needed.

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
Orion
Tuna!

For the most part, fishing tackle bags are not well designed for fishing in the PNW. We get serious weather and most of the bags allow water to leak in which fills tackle boxes and pockets. Water will soak the straps and in some cases the bottoms are not waterproof which allows a bag sitting on the floor of a boat to soak up water. By far the best boat bags I have found are designed for duck hunting. They are often called "Blind Bags", and the come in a variety of sizes, but color selection is pretty much limited to camo. Avery makes some great bags but you may find other companies that build good stuff too. Check out the duck hunting selection before you settle for a bag that was designed by fair weather fishermen.

Orion

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
Lou
Ifish Nate

I have 6 tackle 'bxes'. but the one I use is a cheap back pack.
It hold 5 trays of plugs and has pockets for small stuff, Been using it for
10 +n years. I think it was like 8 bucks!
Support your Veterans!
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #22
DogZilla15
King Salmon

For steelhead, I wear a simple Plano belt pack with a main pouch and three smaller ones. Holds gear, tools, extra line, all that is necessary. Have space left over.

Just bought a Flambeau unit, measures, 13 X 10 X 6. Two main storage spaces with smaller pouches. Right now it hold springer gear, tray of swivels, snaps, beadchains, the little stuff. Lots of pretied rigs, ten or so flashers, extra leader material, all that is needed, plenty of unused space. Could carry twice as much as what I need but why?

I have an assortment of small tool boxes that seasonal gear is stored in. Ocean and Buoy 10 hoochie rigs in one, dodgers in another, flashers in another. Sturgeon tackle takes up the smallest space. Every different type of gear has it's own storage container. Tuna stuff takes up the most space.

If a person can't carry everything they need from the rig to the boat in one trip, they're bringing too much stuff. That includes rods and tackle, clothing, food, bait. Boats have only so much space and a cluttered boat isn't a fishing boat.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
69scout
Sturgeon

Bought a fanny pack at the Nike outlet years ago. Shoulder straps, big compartment, pockets, and bottles holder. Holds plenty of gear.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
skunkpatrol
Steelhead

If you want something a little more interesting, that you might just have for a while, consider an English fishing bag.

I bought a Chapman canvas bag recently on a business trip to London (it was a birthday present from myself), and it's just right for walking the bank with drift gear, jigs, spinners, etc. I keep my license & tag, pliers, nippers, the stuff that goes in a vest. I like it because it's easy to change gear for different fishing tactics (unlike a vest with all the pockets), and I can stuff light raingear, hat, gloves, lunch etc. in it too.

Chapman has made bags for many years, including WWII paratrooper harnesses and bags. I thought it was kind of cool to have something with history. I had my last canvas and leather bag for about 25 years, and I would still have it of some #$% wouldn't have stolen it out of my truck!

skunkpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #25
Umpqua Drifter
Coho

I like my fishpond brand fanny pack for hiking into my favorite holes. Kind of spendy, but I can pack lot into it, for a fanny pack. My Cabelas fanny pack was pretty ok, but one of the pockets ripped out w/in a year.
Umpqua Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #26
spooledagain
Tuna!

Why settle for just 1 packpack???? I have multiple ones couple fanny packs one for steelhead and another for coho/chinook for long hikes when only the barest essentials are needed little easier carrying fish out without all that useless weight and I have couple back packs for steelhead and coho/chinook where I will be fishing couple minutes from the car

Some addictions can't be cured laying on the couch!!!!
spooledagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
bwp634x4
Steelhead

back pack and some plano storage boxes my steelhead tackle holder of choice lots of storage
bwp634x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #28
travislara
Steelhead

I go with the back pack and a few planos, the key is to label the sides so you know which one to grab.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #29
bodyM
Steelhead

Go to Walmart, they have camo backpack with chest and belt strips for $24. Add few Plano boxes and you are set. Plenty of packets for small stuff and lunch + bottle of water or beer on side.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
Alfredosauce
Cutthroat

I use the same box, I bought a couple extra clear cases and just switch out what i need for the fishing im doing. Just throw it in the trunk and pull out the storage units I need and throw them in my pack when I hike in.
Alfredosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #31
hook A nook
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpNoodle View Post
I've picked up a couple of different ones from Cabela's. Been VERY happy with both of them.

I currently have the Advanced Anglers Pro in the magnum size.

What size Plano boxes do you use? I think I have your same Cabelas bags but the 3700 boxes don't fit very good.
hook A nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
LimpNoodle
Tuna!

Mine uses the 3700 boxes. You must not have the same bag.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #33
Fish41ife
Steelhead

i use an old Kelty hiking day pack for my gear. it works well and with the yearly treatment of waterproofing, it stays pretty dry for the most part. i have 3 plano boxes (1 level) that fit in and 1 double layer box. it is nice having the waist strap as well (most hiking packs have) for the long hikes in and out. hope you find some helpful suggestions out of all the replys! Keep your lines wet!
Fish41ife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #34
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Fishpond fanny pack - pick your style/size/color. They make great stuff.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #35
buhbuhfish
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_stalker View Post
I've used Cabela's XPG Deluxe backpack for two years and have been very happy with it. Lots of room and compartments for everything you need for a day outing.

Just got one of these and I love it. Lots of room and easy to carry around.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #36
buhbuhfish
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesh 4 Me View Post
Does anyone have an experienced recomendation for a backpack tacklebag?
I really like this one and its on sale now .

Cabela's XPG® Pro Series™ Angler Pack

Last edited by Seon; 12-20-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Removed NSL
buhbuhfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #37
wameppspro
Steelhead

Do an eBay search of 'fishing packs' and look at several and see how big you want to go. Most of us carry too much. Many you can store your terminal gear and then throw in a plano box for the type of fishing you plan that day. Don't overload it and enjoy your day more.
wameppspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
wastortuga
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Drifter View Post
Fishpond fanny pack - pick your style/size/color. They make great stuff.
Another vote for Fishpond. Lifetime warranty, and great customer service!
wastortuga is offline   Reply With Quote