IFish Fishing Forum banner

Winchester Bay Salmon

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  aross003 
#1 ·
anyone fishing out of windy bay? any reports?

#6 ·
Drug my gear through there this morning on the way back from Florence. I fished the bar basically in 40's. Was a lot of fish around. Most fish are to small for me to keep 28". I made two passes for 5 fish. 4 were to small and I didn't even count the babys. I need a 28" fish to be legal. The other four were just under 28". The fish came deep where the bait was. 30-35F down. Good luck! Most of the fish are out deep right now on the mud in 60's. Tight lines.

#8 ·
Got out yesterday, fished from Siuslaw down to the peanut. Trolled in 140' out to 200', used downriggers with full herring and purple haze tipped with herring. Fished from 40' down to 60'. Did not mark any salmon. The water was clear and 53 to 54 degrees. No hits no runs and nobody left on base. Hope others did better.

MFT

#10 ·
Went out yesterday, only 3 other sport boats out, only saw one commercial go out northwest. Quite a lot of bait with birds working from the mouth to the outer can and some fish show up around the bait balls. Tried flasher and cutplug herring and Brad's with no luck on anything. Fish checker indicated it has pretty much died since last weekend. Water temp at 52degrees.

#12 ·
We were out today along with a few others. Fished for several hours with everything we had, downriggers, divers, herring, spoons, spinners, got no love. Fish checker said she had checked one chinook all day. She did say there were a few caught on Monday. We pulled four pots twice each and ended up with 22 keeper crabs however. Not too bad of a consolation prize.

#13 ·
Been out in the ocean almost every weekend since mid june with great success. between the 3 of us going we have 38 Nook/Coho tagged in that time frame. I've been checking Solunar times for fish activity lately and the seem to be fairly accurate for when most of the bites are. We always put in around 7 in the morning since we are driving from Cottage Grove. And often are on the water untill 5 or 6 in the evening as the major and minor Solunar times often are in the afternoon. We are often one of the last "SALTY DOGS" on the water but also find out we are having more success than others who call it quits earlier.

#16 ·
Well HalibutZach if you read what i wrote you would see i wrote that we have gone out almost every weekend since mid June and that we put in at 7 in the morning and usually off water around 5 or 6, besides the couple of times we have reachedlimit around 1 in the afternoon. so you do the math...don't be a hater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.