IFish Fishing Forum banner

7mm mauser reloading ?

17K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  James in Idaho 
#1 ·
Im going to a friends house to load up some bullets tonight and we dont have the right book. I am in need of some numbers. Im reloading a 7mm mauser with IMR 4064 and 175 gr round nose hornady interlock bullets. Can someone tell me the high and low amount of powder i need. I will be loading up 3-5 bullet in 1gr groups for 5 groups. Thanks Blake

#5 ·
That powder is completely unsuitable for that bullet weight. My book shows the heaviest bullet weight for that powder is 168 gr. IMR-4064 doesn't perform as well as other powders with bullet weights over 120 gr.

If you do insist on using that powder, don't use more than 35 grains. Your muzzle velocity would be in the neighborhood of 2100 fps. maybe less. This is not a hunting load, plinking only. In fact, I would't ever consider loading this combination.

The absolute heaviest bullet I would consider for this cartridge is the 150 gr. 46 gr. of IMR 4064 combined with a 24 inch barrel, would yield somewhere just under 2700 fps. 51 Gr. of H4350 will produce just under 2750 fps with a 150 gr. bullet.

#6 ·
Thank guys I little history with the gun. When i bought it it came with 175 grain super x. shot grate never remember putting a group on paper but but a single here and there. The single was always withen the 1.5 in i want. Not having many of these bullets, I went and bought some factory i believe 130 corelocks scattered them two here two there probably 14' gruop tried the federal same thing. After talking to people i found out the gun likes a heavy slow bullet, makes sense as to what a saw with the heavy bullets, even tried loading up some bullets in the 130 range same thing scatter. The barrel is not in the best shape since the gun has been sportirized, i would like to find a bullet that shoots ok out to a hundred yards.

Dogzilla the powder is something i have. What would you recommend if i can find it.

#7 ·
The rifle, If it is the one I know. Only likes 175gr round nose bullets. Shoots anything lighter like a shotgun. I'll guess he is trying to match the old load data. Nosler and lyman both list the same load with IMR4064 So it is a common pick for the 7mm mauser.

#11 ·
That's a nicely sporterized rifle. It's a 93 or 94 Mauser, and it looks like they turned the steps off the barrel. That real fat section over the chamber makes me think it is a military barrel. What does it say on the left side of the action in front of the stripperclip cut out?

#13 ·
What Baltz said, old military, probably won't shoot light bullets. Looks like who ever did the work, did a nice job.

I think you're on the right track with the heavy bullets. If it won't shoot those, it won't shoot anything.

I'd take the time to do a thorough cleaning of the barrel, lots of time with a bronze brush and a good powder solvent. Then switch to a copper remover and nylon brush, follow the instructions. Continue with the copper cleaning till it's gone then reapply the powder solvent. There may be powder fouling under the copper that the copper cleaner won't remove.

Inspect the muzzle end of the barrel with a bright light and magnifying glass. If the rifling isn't sharp to the end of the barrel, simply recrowning might get it to shoot better.

The rifle is not a 98 so how much pressure the action can take is up for speculation. That means only low pressure loads should be used which means it will never be a top hunting rifle.

The loads I would try are 45 gr. of H4831 or 46 gr of H4350. The rifle should handle these safely.

#15 ·
Thanks Harvey THE cleaning was much needed Richard was very polite about it. Ive had the crowning looked at and they thought it was ok the barrel was a little pitted and they suggested replacing it. We looked at the cost and reward and it didnt make sense. So if i can load a bullet for a ok group im ok with that. Once i make a load and chonograph it we will see. I paid $150 for the gun with a few boxes of shell, brass and dies Thanks for the help Blake

#14 ·
Sierra list 170gr RN bullet IMR4064 min 35.3 max 39.9 OLD hornady book lists 175gr RN 4064 min 36.4 max 40.9 The velocity range is in the 2150-2500fps area. If I was loading for it, I would try for accuracy around 2400fps and call it good.

#16 ·
Pitted barrels can still shoot okay. When the pitting is in the last couple of inches, don't expect a whole lot.

With the loads I mentioned, I was trying to keep pressure below 40,000 PSI. Baltz know more about what this rifle can handle than I do so if he says it'll handle the 4064, I'd trust that. The loads will be more consistent with the 4064. A couple more powders worth considering are H4320 or H4895. The slow, low pressure powders I mentioned, won't give the best accuracy unless loaded at the top.

#17 ·
It would be interesting to measure the bore on this rifle. It would not suprise me to see .288-.292" I have measured 7mm bullets they can run .281-.284. So a long soft jacketed bullet of .284" may be what it takes on some of these old military guns

#27 · (Edited)
If the bore is truly oversized then you might try a Nosler Partition .284 bullet as they can sometimes do wonders. The exposed lead base on the Partition helps it "slug up" to fill the bore upon firing. Some have reported good results shooting .308 diameter partitions in the .303 British. with a bore 4-6 thousands larger.

By the way, the Shooters Pro Shop has 150 & 160 .284 Partitions on sale at better than 1/2 price right now.

It would be interesting to measure the bore on this rifle. It would not suprise me to see .288-.292" I have measured 7mm bullets they can run .281-.284. So a long soft jacketed bullet of .284" may be what it takes on some of these old military guns

#19 ·
Hornady 5th edition

Bullet # 2855 RN 175 Grain

Barrel 22" 1 in 10 twist

Your powder is not listed they use imr 4831 along with 7 other powders
There is a reason for not giving you the data

NOTE: quote

WE DEVELPOPED DATA IN THE STRONG ,MODERN WINCHESTER MODEL 70
THIS DATA SHOULD NOT BE USED IN OLDER MAUSER 93 OR 95 AND SHOULD BE APPROACHED CAUTIOUSLY IN MODEL 98 MAUSERS

I think you should probably use a chrono especially with that powder
you now 4064 have to watch for potential pressure signs

#20 ·
Walkwalk:

How do weak actions show signs they aren't handling the pressure? All I'm aware of are the pressure signs that show up in modern strong actions, haven't a clue about how it applies in this case. I would think things like excessive case stretching or swelling might be a couple?

#21 ·
Walkwalk:

How do weak actions show signs they aren't handling the pressure? All I'm aware of are the pressure signs that show up in modern strong actions, haven't a clue about how it applies in this case. I would think things like excessive case stretching or swelling might be a couple?
As You know I am new to reloading but like to study it.

I cannot answer your question which signs of pressure would show up
in an earlier ,older non modern action vs a modern firearm action as my list of reasons of signs of pressure are 33 going on maybe 34

Back to the original post if the Op has to go back to older manuals
that list CUP be very careful . If the op or anybody needs a reason for that statement I will give them my findings per PM

#26 ·
Good luck Blake, hope your successful in duplicating those old loads.
Personally, looking at the Hodgdon Data posted, 4064 would've been my last choice in powder.
I think I'd have looked to a slower burning powder w/ a higher load density.
Particularly when I mention Recoil & your boy in the same sentence.
But I understand your just trying to duplicate a known good shooting load.

All the mention of pitting makes me wonder what would happen if we fire-lapped it.
Many times a barrel that has issues, will shoot bullets w/ long bearing surfaces well and shorter bullets poor. This is a dimensional bore issue that can many times be improved w/ a little lapping. Sure would be nice to get it to shoot 130's for your Boy's first mentor rifle.
I think I have a 7mm 175 mold..........:wink:
Hunt'nFish

#29 ·
Looking at some Hodgdon 7mm mauser data, The best powder choice for the 175gr may be H1000. Lowest pressure at highest velocity with a full case. But sometimes fast powder with 80% case filling, like IMR4064 just works better.

#31 ·
You guys just reminded me. I have a box of 7mm Mauser that I'd sell for a fair price. I'm guessing they are hand loads. The box they are in says Winchester 175 gr. soft point. They are longer bullets, but I really don't know what they are. Basically they are good brass.
I have NO idea what they are worth but I'm NOT trying to gouge.

Just a thought. I'm sitting here watching the super bowl, playing on ifish:meme:

#32 ·
I haven't loaded 175 grainers in my 7X57 Remington Mountain rifle. I have shot a couple boxes and they gave OK accuracy. Mine really liked the 160 grain Speer. You might give them a try if you don't get the accuracy you are looking for otherwise. I tried a number of different powders, but decided that for everything from the 110 grain Speer TNT to 160 grain, and everything in between, nothing beat 4350. I have used IMR, Scot, and Hodgdon. They all worked fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.