IFish Fishing Forum banner

Ruger No. 1 limits calibers

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  waterbobber 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Ruger No. 1s have always had limited caliber choices, changing them periodically. This is nothing new other than only one caliber in each rifle configeration. Ruger No 1s are still a elegant, beautiful rifles, with deep blued or stainless finish. I have aquired two recently, a 375 H&H in laminated stock and stainless steel finish, and a walnut stocked deep blued 458 Win Mag.

#7 ·
Since Bill died, their quality has gone downhill.
Agreed, but their innovation has improved. LCP, LCR, LC9, break down 10/22 or whatever they call those rifles that split in half.

This type of issue happens when production managers gain overall control of the operation and focus on output instead of quality. I watched this battle for the past 5 years in Solar and hands down, production managers have seriously hurt the company 'meeting their numbers' and it's always made me sick as they've trashed my reputation for not following the 200-300 pages of specs, work instructions and quality controls that it was my job to put in place. And then I took all the heat for it. It's very frustrating. Engineering can only define the acceptable parameters and responses to out of control issues.

It's operations that lets them slide by and turns a blind eye knowing they can always blame engineering for them not doing the job they defined for them. It's a struggle, but when you follow engineering guidelines, more often than not, the whole company wins.

#8 ·
Maybe the custom shop will offer a rare animal.....nice wood on both ends that shoots well. If they were REALLY smart (Don't hold your breath), they will offer a 24-26" bbl in the in the Henry tradition that weighs less than 7 pounds.

Chambering aint nearly as important as most folks give it credit for.

#9 · (Edited)
I couldn't agree more. Even though I believe chambering isn't that important if you just want a #1, if I want several I don't want the same chamber.
Looks like I will be waiting to see what comes along in 2014-Q

#10 ·
In my humble opinion, a mid price 2-3k, single along the lines of the Dakota 10 would fill a niche.

There are a lot of folks (Relative to the market) who are willing to spend the few hundred on a Ruger. But simply cannot afford a Dakota (Even used).

My biggest whine with the Ruger is weight and balance.

The B model weighs at least 8 pounds before a scope is mounted. Who the hell wants to lug a 9+ pound deer rifle around?

The 1-A is muzzle light, but still too heavy.....especially so considering how whippy the muzzle feels in your hands.

I don't get why Ruger never offered a 26" (Hang it out thee to settle the wobbles down) bbl in a light contour. They did the 1-S in the magnum chamberings. But a standard deer chambering are missing.

Weatherby has made it's name making pretty rifles (Eye of the beholder. You may not like the California look. But they are famous for pretty wood and polished blue finishes.) at the 2k pricepoint (More or less 2x-3x what a Remington costs). I see svelte singles in the same light.

#11 ·
Flatfish - I think you nailed it. They are too heavy. Now that they have the LCP & LCR why not follow up with a cute little low wall version of the No. 1 ala the low wall 1885 Browning? A 1/2 or 2/3 scale version with a light contour 21" bbl in .250 Savage, .223, and 7mm/.223 would be very high on my list! Let's make it 5.7 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.