Pros and Cons of a Cell Tower on Property?? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
clownfish
Steelhead

Default Pros and Cons of a Cell Tower on Property??

Cell phone tower on my property – pros/cons?

I have been contacted by a major cell phone provider, who is interested in putting a 180’ tall cell phone tower on my rural property. At the base of the tower there would be a fenced area of 50’x50’ with a small maintenance building within. They are proposing a 30-year lease which would pay me $500.00 to $600.00 per month. Every five years during the 30-year period the amount would increase by 15%.

From some research I have done, I realize that their initial offer of $500 - $600 per month could be negotiated to a higher rate. My questions are: What is an average and reasonable rate that people receive for towers such as this on their property? And aside from the obvious negative visual issue, are there any other downsides to having a cell phone tower on your property?

clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
jeffotto
Chromer

Default Re: Pros and Cons of a Cell Tower on Property??

I don't know the specifics, but a friend of mine was low offered; countered for over double and they agreed. Might think about asking an attorney familiar with this.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Are you a ham radio operator? If so make sure they move all your antennas up on the tower for free with hard line
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
24 on/ 48 off
King Salmon

I know a guy getting $1500/ month. In addition, he negotiated that they hook up his house to the standby generator on site.

WINNING!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
30pound-tasty-fish
Tuna!

Whatever price you agree upon, request 3% a year vs 15% after 5 years. You will keep up with inflation better that way.

Congrats.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
LawFish
Tuna!

con: really hard to attach a tree stand to one.

LawFish
LawFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
flatman
Tuna!

might seriously hurt resale value. there can be health issues if you are concerned for your health.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Wazu_Wiseman
Chromer

Funny you bring this up. I was talking to a property guy in the communications business and I asked him a similar question. His opinion of rural sites was a ball park of $700/month on average with a high of $1000/month. Apparently, one of the major carriers several years ago caused an inflation in property lease costs because they wanted land at any price. Now, they're re-evaluating most of those overpriced site.

Last edited by Wazu_Wiseman; 05-08-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Grammar
Wazu_Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Oregonhunter5
Tuna!

At 600.00 per month, with no 15% every 5 years, that's 216,000.
Not sure what kind of home you have, but if you can get 1,200 per month, you could turn it into a rental, and move.
Oregonhunter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
QSX15
Chromer

I would check out the health risks. Ask them how much and what kinds of EMI you are going to be subject to. Then find an expert in the field of EMI.

I had a healthy sister who fell over one day and died at 32 of a brain tumor. BIL remarried and a few years later his child, with second wife, so it is not related to my sister at all.... winds up with some sort of lukemia. What did they do wrong? I am not sure, but there are high voltage power lines running next to the house. Do I believe that was the cause?......I really don't know. but it does make a guy wonder.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Pitch Pocket
Tuna!

Lattice tower or mono-pole? What is near the fall zone? (They do fall) Anywhere near paths or structures? Any 8' microwave dishes on the tower? Lots of discussion and concern about low level radiation but FCC won't allow that argument when placing cell towers on public property. Private property owners can reject them on any grounds though. The standby generator isn't really standby unless line power is available. In a rural setting without power, the generator will run more often than you think.

Once you allow the tower, you generally can't stop them from selling space on it to other signal providers or microwave users. Wouldn't qualify as a tower farm, but you could have quite a few antennas on the thing putting out low level radiation times however many arrays are on the tower. That radiation transmits in every direction. Further away the better, but the radiation travels quite a ways. If they sell space to microwave transmissions, you'll have one or more 8' dishes installed. They most likely will sell space and you won't profit from the extra arrays that will come after the original installation.

180' is a large tower. A less expensive lattice tower is probably what they propose, and they are huge and an eyesore. The fence around it will be high security with razor wire. You'll have to allow access (probably an easement) at any time 365/24/7.

Personally I'd never let a tower on my property, rural or not. If you're hell bent attracted by the cash, ask for a to-scale rendition of what it would look like. They will take a photo of the site and superimpose what they plan to put on it (make sure it's to scale). That should cure you!
Member #81
Pitch Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
sadiesassy
Sturgeon

Two comments

Around here we see alot of towers that are decorated to look like a tree to make them less obvious

I would look up on health affects of cell towers on people.

Do not know if it is true or coincidence so do not come unglued or start talking about tin foil hats.

But my neighbor ( Engineer) has been doing some research and there appears to be some correlation of health affects due to proximity to cell towers. Appears to be studies that are available on line.
He had data where it showed the strength vs distance in our neighborhood.
Luckily it dropped off close to our house.

But the interesting correlation - In a small street of 10 houses - 7 of 10 have had deaths over 8 years - primarily cancers.
If you go just outside our street ( further away from the tower - 8 out of 60 homes have had deaths.
IN our case - all men. Where the other region seems to be a mix.
Maybe men are more grounded.????

So the city is now forced to do an investigation.

We live in an older population so you expect higher death rates.
It is a small population. probably statistically insignificant.

But I would at least educate yourself.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

If cell towers caused a significant incidence of increased cancer, there would be abundant data now to show that. The fact that there isn't such data available is telling to me.

Here is a link from the American Cancer Society: cell tower facts

The punch line in the article is this:

"First, the energy level of radiofrequency (RF) waves is relatively low, especially when compared with the types of radiation that are known to increase cancer risk, such as gamma rays, x-rays, and ultraviolet (UV) light. The energy of RF waves given off by cell phone towers is not enough to break chemical bonds in DNA molecules, which is how these stronger forms of radiation may lead to cancer.

A second issue has to do with wavelength. RF waves have long wavelengths, which can only be concentrated to about an inch or two in size. This makes it unlikely that the energy from RF waves could be concentrated enough to affect individual cells in the body.

Third, even if RF waves were somehow able to affect cells in the body at higher doses, the level of RF waves present at ground level is very low – well below the recommended limits. Levels of energy from RF waves near cell phone towers are not significantly different from the background levels of RF radiation in urban areas from other sources, such as radio and television broadcast stations.

For these reasons, most scientists agree that cell phone antennas or towers are unlikely to cause cancer."
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
jeffotto
Chromer

You know that big ole' American flag when you pull into Bend? That's a cell tower. Have em decorate yours like that!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Orion
Tuna!

If the tower is owned by a cell service provider as opposed to a tower company, be sure you negotiate free cell service for you and your family for the duration of the contract. It would cost the company next to nothing while adding a significant value to the deal for you.

Orion

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
sadiesassy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hilton View Post
For these reasons, most scientists agree that cell phone antennas or towers are unlikely to cause cancer."
Like I said - I am no expert - it may be irrelevant.
But with technology - it is a relatively young segment of our environment. You never know the consequences.
Not against technology - spent a lot of time in it. Lots of unknowns. Hard to do correct studies.

Never want to hear the words "Unlikely" - means unknown. How many new solutions has ended up causing problems.

However real Scientist usually deal with facts, theories, or We do not know - reaching agreement or consensus are political scientist comments.

Again - I do not know - but there are lots of studies out there that suggest something is happening.

Regards
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #17
BentMetal
Chromer

"If cell towers caused a significant incidence of increased cancer, there would be abundant data now to show that. The fact that there isn't such data available is telling to me."

Not to argue, but just something to think about . . . how many times have we heard with smokers of somebody getting cancer in their fifties and sixties, and they talk about how they smoked three packs a day ever since they were 15. With the smoke, it seems like it took many decades to figure out that a horrible death by cancer was a real possibility, and then it was probably too late.

Cell towers have really only been around 10 to 12 years where they have really proliferated. I just think it is a little too early to say all is clear.

I did the structural engineering on some of the cell tower attachments. . . little ones that they put on top of office buildings. Did just a few of them. We would show up on site, and get up on the roof, take about 5 minutes where we would take some physical measurements of how the cell antennaes were attached to the roof. We stopped at about five antennaes in one day (schools, hospitals, office buildings), and by the end of the day, both my boss and I had significant headaches. Just a minute or two x five in close proximity to the things but not right in front. Evidently, OSHA has guidelines on how long you can work in front of the things, and it is like 15 minutes total. Now, obviously, you won't be getting the concentrated dose that you would be getting if you went up on the towers, but day in day out for thirty years living next to one of those things might be just like smoking three packs of cigarettes every day since you were 15. And again, it may not be and you would be leaving a significant chunk of change on the table.

Like I said, I just think it is a little early to be saying all is clear with the cell phone towers.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote