IFish Fishing Forum banner

ODFW News: License Holder Warning

6K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  iwanttofish 
#1 ·
ODFW advises: Throw away plastic fishing and hunting license holders

Date: January 11, 2008
www.dfw.state.or.us

SALEM, Ore.–When you buy your new 2008 fishing or hunting license, don’t put it in a plastic license holder warn Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife staff. Although new license paper is tear resistant and reasonably waterproof, interaction with plastic causes the ink to fade.

“We are asking people to do something different with their new licenses. Please, don’t put them in plastic license holders or laminate them,” said DeAnna Erickson, ODFW License Services manager. She suggests carrying the license holder in your wallet as you would a receipt or using a paper or Tyvek license holder.

Tyvek license holders will be available at ODFW offices beginning in mid-February.

#4 ·
As I mentioned on the main board, in response to this information, I have both a WA and an OR license. They both appear to be made out of the same material (thermal paper of some kind?) I have had my WA license and tags in a plastic Shimano zip-lock type holder since last March, and have not had a problem with it to date.

#6 ·
If they are of the same paper as Washington you are in trouble. Washington licenses are the poorest excuse for a government document I have ever seen. They dont need any excuse to fade. Plastic or otherwise. They need to pony up AND GET SOME REAL PAPER TO PRINT THE LICENSES ON. tHIS STUFF IS WORTHLESS. tHE BRAIN THAT TRHOUGHT THIS UP AND IS RESPONSIBLE should be fired. Wyoming is a great example to follow. You could use several of their licenses and tie them together and use then for a tow strap. They are nearly indesructable. Very diffacult to tear. Will not fade when washed with clorine in the water:hoboy:, as the saying goes dont ask me how I know this.

#8 ·
Where we hunt pheasant along the snake river we get right in the water at the edge of the river. Lots of birds hiding there along the edge. Anyway getting back to the truck after several hours of this we were checked by the warden. All four licenses had almost no writing on them. In fact my sons and his friend had none. He shook his head and said he could write us up but did not. We were just lucky he did not!:hoboy:

#12 ·
ODFW advises: Throw away plastic fishing and hunting license holders

Date: January 11, 2008
www.dfw.state.or.us

SALEM, Ore.–When you buy your new 2008 fishing or hunting license, don’t put it in a plastic license holder warn Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife staff. Although new license paper is tear resistant and reasonably waterproof, interaction with plastic causes the ink to fade.

“We are asking people to do something different with their new licenses. Please, don’t put them in plastic license holders or laminate them,” said DeAnna Erickson, ODFW License Services manager. She suggests carrying the license holder in your wallet as you would a receipt or using a paper or Tyvek license holder.

Tyvek license holders will be available at ODFW offices beginning in mid-February.
Thanks Pete. I just got mine a couple of days ago. I'm looking forward to getting the Tyvek license holder as something to keep the fishing license, salmon/halibut tag, hatchery tag, and shellfish license all together is helpful for me. Too bad about the interaction with plastic, I wonder if they learned this the hard way. But I'm confident they will work to get a material that better withstands the elements and doesn't interact with plastic. Plastic is common in wallets (at least in my price range) as document holders.

Before bashing ODFW too much, folks might consider if they've ever made any major work boo-boos themselves. It's not uncommon for unforeseen problems to happen.

ron m

#13 ·
Any Idea why they say not to laminate ? other than the tag itself I cant see why not
The tag would be hard to mark if it was laminated but the licence??

#14 ·
A guess, but just a guess, is that the material used to laminate is plastic and would cause the same reaction as the plastic holder has with the license. But it may be something else, like they don't want folks to laminate their tag so they say don't laminate anything. some folks wouldn't think not to laminate their tags.
ron m

#20 ·
I think they are printed on thermal paper, so the heat of laminating will turn the whole thing black. I'm not gonna experiment with mine.

Skein

I am doing an experiment with thermal paper and cold laminating
I wil post results soon

#18 ·
Last year I took my wa clam lic and heatsealed it in plastic....now it's black...oh well...now with my new Or tags I made a wallet out of Sunbrella material. It should work as long as I keep the important document dry before I put it back into the wallet!
IFISHWHISPER...then yell at them when I bonk!!!!!

#19 ·
Great, I just purchased mine on Friday and put them in the old holder. Who's dumb idea was it to change what was not broken?:hoboy:

#21 ·
OK
Here are the current results:

Cold laminate does not discolor the paper

I took a lighter (cig) and applied heat resulting in a big spot on the paper but no damage to the laminate

After 1 hour in my front pants pocket where my body heat is warm there were no visable changes to the paper

Next I will place the cold laminated thermal paper on the dash of my pick up with the defroster on to see if that affects the paper

I will report on that at 1pm

#22 ·
Ok the paper passed the defroster test

So I decided to try a hair dryer and this is the result

After holding the cold laminated thermal paper in my hand and the hair dryer on hot as close as I could without burning my hand for 3 minutes

The Laminate and paper showed NO signs of discoloring or of degrading

I think I will laminate my licenses but not the tag

#23 ·
One more note

The cold laminate material is vinyl, kind of like tape and it has a UV protectant incorped into the mfg process so even leaving it in the sunlight should not affect the paper

I use this clear vinyl in making signs and graphics for vehicles

#26 ·
Outdoor Central is the company that does the licenses for ODFW. About 25 other States also use them. Why not make them change the paper instead of making all the stores in Oregon go out and buy new license holders. Our Department of Forestry has around 17,000 of them that they purchased last year to donate to businesses. What do they do with them now?

#27 ·
ODFW called me a couple of weeks ago and asked if I still wanted some tyvek holders
I had tried to get some before the Salty Dog Convention but they were not available at that time

Any way I have a dozen left if anyone needs or wants one
The license fits in it nicely and the tyvek holder fits in the old plastic holders just fine

Problem solved

#28 ·
Im just going to carry mine in my wallet along with the cash for getting me the open seats so I can feed my addictions to salt.:excited::throb::excited::throb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.