IFish Fishing Forum banner

Only need 2 fish to replace population

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  LawFish 
#1 ·
#2 ·
And you get 2 fish above! Drive up there!! Do exactly what you tell the upper river guys to do when they dont get a springer season. Believe it or not, I-84 has westbound and eastbound lanes!! At least with the fishery above Bonni, they aren't guessing how many fish will return.

#19 ·
From a biologic standpoint the quote is accurate. Two adults returning from one pair is replacement. Assuming that more than one pair spawned and each pair had similar survival, you would likely see an increase in survival, especially if the habitat was not being seeded to carrying capacity.

Success for restoring wild runs is not necessarily full seeding of all the spawning habitat by adults. Depending on species, the limiting factor is usually rearing habitat (especially in species where the juveniles over winter in the stream after emerging.) The concept of carrying capacity is flexible and changes in each life stage.

I did spawning surveys I the mid 1990's, believe me the bios would have been happy with just replacement back then. Heck CrabB, I saw one stream that had one male and one female coho show up...........unfortunately 30 days apart. Needless to say she was a lonely lady. :palm:

LawFish

#11 ·
I think your full of it. I all but guarantee you if I put a mid river fish right next to an Astoria fish on a plate, hot off the grill you wouldn't know the difference. And we are talking URB's, not lower river fish that don't cut as good from the ocean as URB's do mid river. Now, later In The season you will have a point, but the fish going over the lower dams are of the highest quality until late Sept and above Mcnary. Between Bonni and John Day right now the fish are just as good as they were coming out of the salt. Go look at the fish window. Tell me how much different those fish look than they do at Astoria.. And Im a salmon snob.. If its not bled correctly, it goes in the smoker, as do must fish that aren't Springers or sockeye.

#13 ·
Many would argue that Lake Wenatchee / Okanogan River Sockeye are some of the best eating fish in the world, due to their genetics - being engineered to travel such far distances.

Same has been said often of Icicle Creek springers...

Personally, I have caught MANY fish in the lower river that pale (literally) in comparison.

RW

#18 ·
270 how can you say a mid river caught urb is every bit of good as an Astoria urb? The fat reserves and marbling in the meat starts to go away when the leave the salt. what's the travel time 2 weeks?

in general coastal fish are not as good as upriver fish but hard to argue a coastal caught upriver fish..

not saying anything above the dam is a ****.. dont get it twisted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.