IFish Fishing Forum banner

Western Oregon Gold Panning

43K views 64 replies 37 participants last post by  Don G Baldi 
#1 ·
With the popularity of that Gold Rush show, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried gold panning in western Oregon? The Sandy or Clackamas rivers could show a little color, couldn't they? Just wondering if anyone else has ever thought of this.

#4 ·
There used to be a guy that came out from Portland every summer and headed up into the Trask River headwaters. He would come down and showed some of the farmers, whose property he crossed, the gold he found. If you check some of the books written about the indians that traveled in the area, they too would come down from the area with gold and would trade it at the stores. I panned the Trask a couple of times but only found flowerr gold. Now I am too old to bend over and pan the water.

I would recommend panning the small creeks that drainj into the ocean, esp. if there is black sand.

#5 ·
The Molalla is about as close as you can get for really fine flour gold. The source has been considered the Ogle Mt. Mine and the creek and river have been dredged many times over. There is still some gold there but you really have to look hard.

There is a great story about the lost gold mine of the Tillamook Indians which was referred to above. Google it, it is a good read.

Closest place to really find any gold is Dole Bar down in Myrtle Creek.

I think with the onset of inflation, we will start to see the money that went to gold for safety come out and move into commodities. What I am saying is, "get your gold now!" :)

#6 ·
Closest place to really find any gold is Dole Bar down in Myrtle Creek.
that’s not true there is good gold panning in the opal creek drainage and along parts of the North Santiam river. Also you have the Quartsville area out of Eugene no need to go all the way to Myrtle Creek for gold.

Here is a great web site that list Gold districts county by county in Oregon
www.oregongold.net

I have been reading up for about a year on gold in Oregon and there is a lot more gold to be found then people know about rp

#7 ·
I was hunting the woods of SW WA this fall and came across some wierd signs on trees in a couple places. After closer inspection they were notices of mining claims, and I hadn't remembered seeing them in the past. I even came across an old mineshaft in a hillside.

I don't know any more about gold panning than what I've seen on tv, but might give it a try next time I pass some creeks in my local hunting haunts.

#11 ·
I was hunting the woods of SW WA this fall and came across some wierd signs on trees in a couple places. After closer inspection they were notices of mining claims, and I hadn't remembered seeing them in the past. I even came across an old mineshaft in a hillside.

I don't know any more about gold panning than what I've seen on tv, but might give it a try next time I pass some creeks in my local hunting haunts.
I suggest folks who want to dip a pan or shovel some dirt do some research first. Any stream that is worth panning has probably got claims the length of it. Start your research at oregon usgs website or blm lr2000 website. There you will find maps of claimed land which is not 100% accurate as the county land offices have the official records up to date on claimed mineral rights. I would suggest joining a local prospecting club to learn the ins and outs of regulations, and there are lots of em, regulations that is.

Obviously the price of gold has led to a resurgence of mining and those that follow these kinds of things have been busy for a few years now securing a patch of dirt to mine on by way of mining claims. Lots of johnny come latelys wanting to dip a pan here and there don't realize they are breaking federal laws and can be prosecuted.

Enjoy your prospecting why you can, many dont want you to enjoy the outdoors in this state. By looking at alot of monikers here on I fish I would say most members support the organizations that dont want you mining in this state. It's too bad people don't educate themselves on modern mining and the regulations in place to protect our states. Alot of scientific studies thrown aside by an ad on tv showing ancient mining methods, scare tactics more or less. Kind of like the ban on bear and cougar dog hunting.

#9 ·
My dad (who is 65), kind of a well known person in the small town that I grew up in, talks about a guy who brought in to his office a great big quartz rock the size of his fist with gold all through it. Pretty near the Quartzville Creek area, as that is where I grew up. I didn't see it, but that would have occurred in the mid eighties I would expect. So there must be some bigger stuff out there, anyways.

#10 ·
I got this on the Travel Channel site. It's about prospecting on the Umpqua. Get's me going.

"This video was filmed on the 1st bar beneath the I-5 bridge over the Umqua River, Oregon. 6 lbs of gold was recovered in the summer over a 3 month period and there are many, many pounds left. The Umpqua River bars are very rich in gold, having been passed over by the large steam dredges of the 1800's-1930's. Good luck!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lPYg5U4P6s

#15 · (Edited)
I live in Cowlitz county and I find gold in several of the local streams and rivers. I find most of it right in my own back yard! Its not like I'm getting rich on what I find but it does add up. I have built a self feeder panning system that I am posting a link to on this post. I don't pan any of the concentrates. The self feeder blue bowl does it for me. I have greatly improved this self feeder since this video was made but you will get the general idea. I plan on posting a new video of the improvements. If you click on my name at the top of the video window it will take you to my YouTube channel where I have some videos of me doing a little mining in the local area....FFM2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PWBVkcON7I

#16 ·
When I was a young lad, dad used to drag us to rogue river, sixes river and cow's creek to dredge gold. Never got rich, but it kept us off the streets. Didn't care for of too much, but I was a teen. Saw some neat corners of Oregon most folks never will though.

#17 ·
If you're new to this recreation I'd say go to Quartzville recreational area first. There is gold there. It's not big gold but it's there and can keep you busy. Plus it's an excellent place to learn. Northeast and the SouthWest part of the state are best.

Please do your research and get any of the permits you may need. Read up on current mining laws. We're fighting for our rights to prospect ....it's about as bad as the Marine Reserves if not worse! AND make sure you are not on someone's claim. Claim owners do not take things lightly and you can bet they are armed, some heavily. As was said most heavily ladden areas are mostly claimed up. I'd also suggest Dole Rd in Myrtle creek as a good place to start. My best day ever was within 20 miles of Dole Rd.

If others are interested I'd be willing to do a trip to the Quartzville recreational area to help a few beginners out. I have some pans(5or6) that I'd be willing to let you use. I'm by no means a pro but I seem to find something each time I go. Might only be the size of a . but hey color is Color!

My Gold Fever is about as bad as my Tuna Fever!

#24 ·
If you're new to this recreation I'd say go to Quartzville recreational area first. There is gold there. It's not big gold but it's there and can keep you busy. Plus it's an excellent place to learn. Northeast and the SouthWest part of the state are best.

Please do your research and get any of the permits you may need. Read up on current mining laws. We're fighting for our rights to prospect ....it's about as bad as the Marine Reserves if not worse! AND make sure you are not on someone's claim. Claim owners do not take things lightly and you can bet they are armed, some heavily. As was said most heavily ladden areas are mostly claimed up. I'd also suggest Dole Rd in Myrtle creek as a good place to start. My best day ever was within 20 miles of Dole Rd.

If others are interested I'd be willing to do a trip to the Quartzville recreational area to help a few beginners out. I have some pans(5or6) that I'd be willing to let you use. I'm by no means a pro but I seem to find something each time I go. Might only be the size of a . but hey color is Color!

My Gold Fever is about as bad as my Tuna Fever!
I'd love to go sometime. I read several books about panning 10+ years ago, but I got side-tracked and never got around to trying it. I have a pan, a pick, a prybar, a snifter bottle, and probably some other misc. stuff; I just never had anyone experienced to show me the ropes.
Scott

#27 ·
I stopped by the booth Sunday
and picked up a flier

It is the North West Mineral Prospectors Club

I won't post a link but if you wanted to find their web site you would probably use something like ???.NWMPC.co?

#26 ·
Do a google search for lost mining districts of Oregon. Apparently rock creek out of the west hills also the lower salmon river all had gold claims around 1900. I might go do some sample panning this weekend. Rp

#31 ·
Well we had a good time we panned the north fork of the santiam and found like 6 small flakes all came from washing the dirt from moss. Were not rich but we had a good day! And that's what counts. RP