Baitcaster or Spinning Set-up for Float/Jig Steely fishing? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
USCGauxHinkle
Steelhead

Question Baitcaster or Spinning Set-up for Float/Jig Steely fishing?

I'm an avid bass fisherman who is trying out some steelhead fishing. would y'all suggest i use a baitcasting set-up, or a spinning setup for bobber/jig fishing? i already have a very nice Abu Garcia Ambassaduer baitcaster that i really don't use that often, but i also have a so-so spinning reel that i don't use that often either... please help! i'm in the market for a new rod, and i need some opinions! i'll have about 100 bucks to spend. i've been told the Berkeley Air Buzz Ramsey Rod, but would that be good for float/jig fishing too?

USCGauxHinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
jlorence14
Chromer

Default Re: Baitcaster or Spinning Set-up for Float/Jig Steely fishing?

I personally go with a spinning reel, along with many others. I find it easier to mend the slack line with a spinning vs a casting reel. The Buzz IM8 is no doubt one of the best bobber/float rods for your buck. I would go with the 9'6'' or longer. You can get the job done with just about any length, but a little longer rod makes it easier to mend your line and maintain good bobber presentation. Hope this helps

JL
jlorence14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
USCGauxHinkle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlorence14 View Post
I personally go with a spinning reel, along with many others. I find it easier to mend the slack line with a spinning vs a casting reel. The Buzz IM8 is no doubt one of the best bobber/float rods for your buck. I would go with the 9'6'' or longer. You can get the job done with just about any length, but a little longer rod makes it easier to mend your line and maintain good bobber presentation. Hope this helps

JL
ya it does... i'd just hate to see my ambassaduer go to waste lol.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Starfish

I use a baitcaster float rig about 90% of the time and a spinning rig about 10%. Guests who don't cast well with a baitcaster usually borrow my spinning rigs. Either one works great but I like the control of the baitcaster better. My favorite setup is a 10.5' Loomis with a Chronarch 100BSF and braid.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Native Fisher
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGauxHinkle View Post
I'm an avid bass fisherman who is trying out some steelhead fishing. would y'all suggest i use a baitcasting set-up, or a spinning setup for bobber/jig fishing? i already have a very nice Abu Garcia Ambassaduer baitcaster that i really don't use that often, but i also have a so-so spinning reel that i don't use that often either... please help! i'm in the market for a new rod, and i need some opinions! i'll have about 100 bucks to spend. i've been told the Berkeley Air Buzz Ramsey Rod, but would that be good for float/jig fishing too?
I have a 10'6" okuma guides choice IM-8 spinning set-up that I use for bobber and jig. It's great, although many times I wish I had at least another foot or two of length. I wouldn't consider anything less then 10'6" for a bobber rod.

edit:
Remember you know you have a bite with the bobber down. So you don't need to buy a real expensive/sensative rod.

Last edited by Native Fisher; 02-07-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Native Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
jlorence14
Chromer

Quote:
ya it does... i'd just hate to see my ambassaduer go to waste lol.
If you have a rod to use it on I would just rig it up and give it a try. There's no unwritten law that says they can't be used to float fish. I've seen it done. No sense in buying another rod if you have a set up that can get the job done.
jlorence14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Lead Bouncer
King Salmon

spinning. no comparison.

but, if you own different gear, just rig up a sliding float and if the rod is stiffer, it will take more weight to load the action in the rod. Use two of the float knots next to each other. If you use bait, most of it wont stay on a stiff rod. Cure the prawn tails etc, for springers

Last edited by Lead Bouncer; 02-07-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Lead Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
wameppspro
Steelhead

No doubt spinning rods give you an enormous edge when tossing lighter jigs or bait. I use both, and have kind of gone to using my baitcast more. I find that if I want to extend the drift, I just let it freespool. I feel like I have a slight edge on line management with it. Sometimes with the spinning reel, I just don't feel I have the same control with the coils coming off. You just need to use a larger float, and more lead. Just make sure you don't overload your float. My rods are 9 1/2-10 1/2 and I'm having a 13 built for the bigger water. As they say, size matters.....
wameppspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
KalamaGeo
Sturgeon

Just my on the subject.

I've caught lots of fish using spinning gear. When casting distances while free drifting jigs, the spinning reel is easier. If you are fishing with little overhead cover ( trees ) it is a bunch easier to use a spinning reel.

If I'm fishing smaller rivers where I can't overcast to the spot, baitcasters really shine. I tend to fish a jig/bobber like many people side drift bait. We may cover 15 miles of river in a day. A tree lined bank makes overhand casting a really bad idea. Ya hook too many squirrel fish. The sidearm baitcasting movement is better for getting under the trees.

IF you are an accomplished caster, either rig will work for you and your own preferrence will be whatever you are comfortable with. I find myself using a baitcaster more and more just because of the positive control I have at hookset and during the fight.

One big problem I have while freedrifting is when a fish takes down when I'm day dreaming. I start to reel as fast as I can but the BAIL DOESN'T CLOSE!!!! What's up with that anyway? By the time you get the bail closed and the slack taken up, the float is on it's way back to the surface and you have lost the chance at the fish!!

I still have a bruise on my first finger from the bail smacking it during my OP trip last week

For a truly drag free drift, Spinning reels excel. Baitcasters are ok, and if done smoothly the mend should have little effect on the jig/bait. Spinnig reels just make it easier.....IMHO

Last edited by KalamaGeo; 02-08-2010 at 07:12 AM.
KalamaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Oregonism
Steelhead

I use that Buzz ramsey IM7 baitcasting rod, and I think it's perfect. It's only 8'6", so it's a bit short, but you just have to throw your mend a little harder. I think most people prefer a spinning rod, but I like to be able to just take one rod out with me and this one works pretty well.
Oregonism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
5-Cents
King Salmon

Sprinning rod... its nice to have a long rod for bobber fishing to mend the line but if you are fishing smaller rivers/creeks a normal 8.5ft or 9ft spinning rod is more applicable... I have both and deploy them as needed for the size of water I am fishing.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
Fishalot
Sturgeon

If you are a avid bass fishermen and used to casting with bait casters, I would go with a bait caster. Being able to let line out while lightly thumbing the spool will a lough you to work you float down stream much easier than with a spinning reel.
Don't get me wrong, I use both, and have different length rods also as others have stated. I personally like the control of the bait caster and long as a person can cast one.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
fshnking
Cutthroat

Quote:
I have used both but found that it is easier with a spinning rod!!! I bobber fish with a 9'0" berkley Im8 medium-heavy. it works perfect!!! still have hooked more fish drifting sand shrimp on that rod than anything!! good luck!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
USCGauxHinkle
Steelhead

hey, thanks for all the help guys. i'm going to be investing in the Air Buzz Ramsey from Berkely here once i get my taxes, so i'm glad that i'll be able to just utilize that for both drifting and float/jigging. it's alot easier to load up a boat for bass fishing with multiple poles than it is to walk down a river with 3 in hand.