Ross Lake, WA - info? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 07-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
5 Salt
Sturgeon

Default Ross Lake, WA - info?

Thinking of a late August or possible later trip to Ross Lake in Nothern Cascades National Park.

I am assuming there is some Kokanee fishing as well as other good trout fishing and sure could use a report and some ideas of were to begin my search.

Have down-rigger and will travel. Also is fuel available only at south end of lake?

Any information would be a plus.

Thanks - charmon

Strong Like Bull, Smart Like Tractor...
5 Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
TheKing
Chromer

Default Re: Ross Lake, WA - info?

There is plenty of koke, Bows, Walleye, Bass you name it . Look near the San Poil or the Spokane River. Take the tackle box because you will need everything from Weddingrings to Rapalas depending on the wheather. If you want to stop on your way up fish the big Bows Rufus Woods Bridgeport above Chief Joe. They avg 8 lbs near the pens. I would not eat the fish from the system if you read the WDFW warnings. there is said to me a couple of mile long blob of mercury from mining on the bottom of the river.
Am I too old, is it too late?
TheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
timinthegorge
Ifish Nate

I'm not sure which "Ross Lake" The King is talkin' about, but if you're talking about The Ross Lake that starts in Canada and extends down to Diablo in the North Cascades, I'm pretty sure it's nowhere close to the Spokane River, or Rufus Woods.....

If you've got a downrigger, I'm assuming it's attached to a boat. And unless it's 14ft. or smaller, the only way to drop it in Ross is through Canada, over a 40 mile long gravel road. It's called the Silver-Skagit Road south of Hope, BC.

If you're still interested I'd call the Ross Lake Resort, located at the south end of the lake. As far as I know, it's the only facility on the lake that has gas, unless something else has been built up there in the last couple of years, which I doubt. They have a website at www.rosslakeresort.com.

I lived in Bellingham years ago while I was in college up there, and I've hiked some of that area (when I was much younger), but I've never fished it. It's a gorgeous area! A couple of years ago I wanted to take my new boat (19') and do some campin'/fishin'/boatin' on Ross but after doing some research, I decided against it. It's a 25 mile run down the lake to the resort from the boat ramp in Canada for gas, and the 40 mile gravel road didn't appeal to me.....

Hope that helps..... T
Old 07-13-2004, 03:05 PM   #4
TheKing
Chromer

Whoops I read Roosevelt not Ross. Sorry!
Am I too old, is it too late?
TheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:16 PM   #5
timinthegorge
Ifish Nate

Reading is good....
Old 07-13-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
Maverick Maxcat
Ifish Nate

I grew up fishing Ross Lake a couple times a year, but have not been there for 10-12 years. Last few years I went the lake was crowded and the fishing was non-existant.

The good news is that the road was good high-speed gravel, lots of big boats and motor homes used it.

When we used to fish it, the best time of day was 10am-2pm. The lake is very cold and deep, and this is when the insect hatches occured right along the shorelines. It was common to catch and release over 30 large trout apiece during the hatch. They would bite anything, flies or hardware. You can also find fish cruising the flats almost any time of day, but not that many. Again, this is when the lake was full of large fish, and may have changed (the SMALLEST fish I saw for 20 years was 16". The last time I went the BIGGEST was 10").

At least the scenery is fantastic. If you are athletic you might try hiking up some of the creeks beyond the closed water limits and fishing there.

Good luck, MM
Maverick Maxcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
nootka
Coho

I fished and hunted Ross lake 15 years ago so this is old information but should still help. The road in from Canada is OK. Don't be afraid!. This is a an almost "spiritual" place to camp, fish, boat. The mountains tower thousands of feet above you. Bears are common and harmless. The lake used to be famous for rainbow trout. Pop gear and worms or a fly will entice them. A needlefish spoon will sucker them for sure. Seattle City Light was supposed to maintain lake levels for trout breeding but decided to make electricity.
Trout levels took a nosedive. There are huge dolly varden at the creek mouths. Probably can't keep them. Check regs. You should go to Ross Lake! Bring your own gas! You'll be very glad you made the effort.
nootka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:13 PM   #8
5 Salt
Sturgeon

Thanks for the information.

Running down the lake 25 miles is no big thing - just run 82-miles in and out of the rogue this weekend - heavy mental gymnastics on that one.

Would love to get a report from someone who has been there in the past couple of years. Was there a lot of boat traffic all along the lake or just concentrated at either end?

The scenery does look spectacular even if the fishing is not as it once was.

Strong Like Bull, Smart Like Tractor...
5 Salt is offline   Reply With Quote