Port Orford Lift rates increasing! - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 12-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
livebaitboy
Coho

Default Port Orford Lift rates increasing!

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that when I was in PO last weekend the lift operator told me the rate will be increasing from $25/trip to $50/trip on Jan 1.

Until Jan 1 you can buy a "card" of 11 lifts for $250, and it is good forever, even after the rate increase. After Jan 1, the same card will be $500. I bought one, and might stop there tomorrow and buy another. Not sure if you can buy them over the phone or through the mail though.

Their phone number is 541-332-1306 if you have any questions.

Matt

livebaitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
northriver1
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Port Orford Lift rates increasing!

100% increase, woozer. I think I will look into the "card".
northriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Beefcake
Sturgeon

Is there an annual pass for commercial guys? I can't imagine that the rockfish boats there can afford $50 a day in launch fees.
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
livebaitboy
Coho

Yah, the commercial guys don't pay the full fee. I've heard theirs is about $100/year but that was from a less than reliable source, so don't quote me on that. I'm heading down there tomorrow, rememeber youhave to get your cards by Jan 1!!
livebaitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Hanapa'a Time
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by northriver1 View Post
100% increase, woozer. I think I will look into the "card".
Yup, OUCH..........those big lings are gettin' more expensive by the year, eh Bob......... By the time one spends money on the fuel, camping and now this, I think I'm better off fishin' off Bandon via Charleston
Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
FirstH2O
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanapa'a Time View Post
Yup, OUCH..........those big lings are gettin' more expensive by the year, eh Bob......... By the time one spends money on the fuel, camping and now this, I think I'm better off fishin' off Bandon via Charleston
I say we run from Bandon Bra! For $25.00 I can make it there & 1/2 way back.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Hanapa'a Time
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstH2O View Post
We go Brah
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
salmon15
Coho

Thanks Governor
salmon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
northriver1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanapa'a Time View Post
I think I will just sell all my stuff and take a few cooking classes and pay retail for my fish. I think I would be bucks ahead. Most likely big bucks ahead. But I did pick up a $250.00 pass today.. Looking forward to getting the locals put of view on this.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Seahunt
Steelhead

It's silly, the port expects to make more money by raising the rates. By raising the lift to $50 for sport and $40 for commercial they will more than likely make less money. The alternatives to fish local are Bandon and Gold Beach on a nice day, possibly a cheaper choice, a couple of bar crossing on bad days could ruin that idea. It's going to drive some people away for sure.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
fishwhenican
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunt View Post
It's silly, the port expects to make more money by raising the rates. By raising the lift to $50 for sport and $40 for commercial they will more than likely make less money. The alternatives to fish local are Bandon and Gold Beach on a nice day, possibly a cheaper choice, a couple of bar crossing on bad days could ruin that idea. It's going to drive some people away for sure.
Doubling the lift rates is a good way to drive away the tourists who spend a week or two in town and spend more money in town. Then again maybe that is what someone wants. How many boats are going to anchor up for the night instead of in and out a few days in a row. We used to launch off of the beach (smaller boat) but that access is blocked now.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #12
HalibutZach
Steelhead

Hi Everyone:

First of all, the rate increase sucks!!!!

I have been going down to Pt.Orford for 38 years to fish etc. Usually very good fishing etc., great scenery, fairly quiet, low key place. 2 years ago we were there the middle of June for several days of fishing etc. We got lifted in at daylight, went out and got our fish, halibut, lings, rock fish, crab etc. Back in and lifted out at 2 pm. we cleaned and processed our catch and decided to go to the restaurant right there on the dock next to where you lift out. They usually have very good fish and chips, chowder etc.

The gal that waited on us turned out to be the owner. She asked us where we were from and what we were doing down here. We told her we were fishing and she asked how we did, we told her. She immediately pleaded, almost begged us to not tell anyone back home about our catch and where we caught them. She went on to tell us that they, ( the locals), want to keep the fishery for themselves. She said we actually try to discourage outsiders from coming down here. She also stated they want to keep the area from being a high traffic area, anti development etc., thats why they fight the various organizations that have tried to build a public boat ramp there. Mention public ramp and you will be lucky to get served your food.

So, we eat elsewhere, and now that they are increasing the fee, I will run down from Bandon or Charleston. The business owners and locals in Bandon and Charleston, are very friendly, courteous, and really appreciate you spending your money there on boat gas, bait, fishing supplies, food, motels, etc. And, all of you who own a boat and fish, know how much money is spent on a typicall day or two of fishing. Alot!!!!!

It works out just fine to spend alot of money in Bandon and Charleston, run down and get Port Orford bounty, and run back North.
HalibutZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:30 AM   #13
Seahunt
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhenican View Post
Doubling the lift rates is a good way to drive away the tourists who spend a week or two in town and spend more money in town. Then again maybe that is what someone wants. How many boats are going to anchor up for the night instead of in and out a few days in a row. We used to launch off of the beach (smaller boat) but that access is blocked now.
The beach access is occasionally blocked by drift logs. Somebody always opens the access. This past month a number of drift boats have launched from the beach. Zodiacs are still launched from the beach most of the time. When my sons and I started diving we launched Zodiacs from the beach. Up to 16' Zodiacs and usually 2. The sand at the beach is soft between the road and the wet sand, many rigs get stuck each year.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
northriver1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
The beach access is occasionally blocked by drift logs. Somebody always opens the access. This past month a number of drift boats have launched from the beach. Zodiacs are still launched from the beach most of the time. When my sons and I started diving we launched Zodiacs from the beach. Up to 16' Zodiacs and usually 2. The sand at the beach is soft between the road and the wet sand, many rigs get stuck each year.
Time for a hi jack.

Good morning Gene. Have you been able to get out much this fall and winter?

What kind of response have you heard from the town folks on the launch price increase? Has Port management attached its red wagon to the greenies in the neighborhood?

I have a few boat issues to take care of before I wonder out in the ocean but let us valley people know when a window of opportunity comes up to play on the big water for more than one day.. Take care and have a great Christmas season.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Seahunt
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by northriver1 View Post
Time for a hi jack.

Good morning Gene. Have you been able to get out much this fall and winter?

What kind of response have you heard from the town folks on the launch price increase? Has Port management attached its red wagon to the greenies in the neighborhood?

I have a few boat issues to take care of before I wonder out in the ocean but let us valley people know when a window of opportunity comes up to play on the big water for more than one day.. Take care and have a great Christmas season.
We fished a bunch in early December The wind has been blowing and we have been at our supposed to be residence for a week, Christmas and family. Depending on weather we may return to Port Orford after Christmas. It currently looks like next Wed. or Fri. we may fish.
The Port by the time I had left told nobody, I guess you just find out when you pay. It takes some head scratching to figure out if it makes sense to launch at Port O for a $50 fee. Some thought it wasn't worth it at half the price. How many will now. For the few that do it's going to cost more.
Merry Xmas
Old 12-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
Chass
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Count me in!

Its only about half the trip from Newport to the Chicken Ranch. Still closer than than Heceta from Florence.

Right around 20 nm. from Bandon to Blanco Reef and a couple more miles to Orford Reef. I've done more than that to fish the South tip of Stonewall, back to Seal rocks and then to back to Newport.

Chass
ct
Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
FirstH2O
Tuna!

[QUOTE=Chass;3440541]Count me in!

Its only about half the trip from Newport to the Chicken Ranch. Still closer than than Heceta from Florence.

Right around 20 nm. from Bandon to Blanco Reef and a couple more miles to Orford Reef. I've done more than that to fish the South tip of Stonewall, back to Seal rocks and then to back to Newport.

Chass
ct[/QUOTE

I think I may have enough fuel on board to pull that off.LOL
Just have to watch the wind & swell down that way.Blanco is no joke when it gets rough.
Brand new sling in the garage that may never go on my boat.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
We fished a bunch in early December The wind has been blowing and we have been at our supposed to be residence for a week, Christmas and family. Depending on weather we may return to Port Orford after Christmas. It currently looks like next Wed. or Fri. we may fish.
The Port by the time I had left told nobody, I guess you just find out when you pay. It takes some head scratching to figure out if it makes sense to launch at Port O for a $50 fee. Some thought it wasn't worth it at half the price. How many will now. For the few that do it's going to cost more.
Merry Xmas
it should be near sanded in again after this series of storms. it was breaking good on tuesday on the dredge tailings
roosevelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
rbates
Coho

We have been fishing Port Orford for about 30 years. They won't get any more money from me. I guess it might make some of the locals happy.
rbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #20
Chass
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I think I may have enough fuel on board to pull that off.LOL
Just have to watch the wind & swell down that way.Blanco is no joke when it gets rough.
Brand new sling in the garage that may never go on my boat.
We could take my boat out of Bandon too . . . it would just cost a good bit in fuel.

I've got a buddy who just in inherited a 19' dory. If I understand correctly, its a beach launching dory. Can we launch dorys at PO? I've got a big saw!

Chass
ct
Old 12-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #21
northriver1
Ifish Nate

I have never seen a dory launched there but I see no reason why not. But than again I am a dory virgin... Drift and rubber boats used by the divers launch off the beach all the time.. If I lived there I sure would think long and hard on a dory for ever day use.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
SlimPickens
Steelhead

I don't see this adding sport money to the port. Way too expensive. I'm out at 50. I think most sporties would be the same.....

Maybe this is what they want?
SlimPickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #23
Laguna29
Steelhead

We used to launch at Port Orford.....But not any longer.

I beleive there is some history here that should be discussed by one of us, (not me) that knows the history of the past deals between the port and the marine board.

The "explanation" I have heard for the justification of the marine board not putting in a launch is as follows:

There was a push to have a launch ramp put in. The port negotiated and agreed that they would make the lifts available to sport anglers and have a sling capable of doing so for those that did not have their own. In return financial assistance was given to install two new lifts. This was done and they had a guest sling that you could drive into and they would pluck you out of the water. My experience is from 2004. Then it came about that you had to have your own straps as they would no longer use the cradle for you, liability was the reason given by the port. Which brings us to the present. Would be very interested in hearing from some one who has actual facts to confirm this or tell the whole story from the past to the present, as my informaiton admitedly is from talk amongst us.

Simple solution......Use our fees to put in a launch ramp so we can enjoy and use the rescource and not be dependent on the lifts that are primarily there for the previous and existing commercial fleet. And trust me you are second fiddle to the commercial boats when you are waiting in the lift line.
Laguna29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #24
HalibutZach
Steelhead

I sent a email today to the port of port orford commissioners, asking them why they are increasing the boat lift rates. I will follow up with a phone call on Monday.

Here we go!!!!!, cant wait to hear this one!!!!!

I will post their response here as soon as I receive one.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #25
fishonjon
Tuna!

Get them Zach.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
salmon15
Coho

Angry Re: Port Orford Lift rates increasing!

It seems that they are inundated with requests for books of passes from

scalpers and there is a hold on the purchase of them. I am out of State

but am trying to have a friend purchase four books for my use, he got a

song and dance from the lady that answered the phone. I love to halibut

fish out of Port Orford and of course the ling fishing is great. I will not

launch if I have to pay $50 to launch. I stay at an R/V park May and June

for the halibut fishing and shop in town and gas up there .

Kill the golden goose you dummies.
salmon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #27
HalibutZach
Steelhead

Thumbs up Re: Port Orford Lift rates increasing!

Yesterday I received a phone call from Mr. Gary Anderson, who is the Port of Port Orford Manager. He said the reason they are raising the lift fees is strictly inflationary. The ports subsidized money is no longer available. Last year it cost the port $126.00 per boat, lift in and out, (1 round trip). They are losing money. So raising the cost to $50.00 they will still lose money????? They have high equipment repair costs, the cannery cost them $36,000.00 last year in repairs etc.

As I stated in an earlier post, I will spend my money in Bandon or Coos Bay, boat down to Port Orford and catch my fish then boat back to Bandon etc. The fuel cost to boat down there is approx. the same as the $50.00 lift fee.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #28
Laguna29
Steelhead

Regarding my earlier post, well lets just say I was mostly all wet. With the exception of my personal experiences which were negative at times.

Had a very positive conversation with the Port Manager regarding my concerns. I suggest talking with him personally and I think you find it a very positive experience.

Port Orford is a unique place to fish out of. And encourage you to allow the manager to work through any concerns or issues you have.

Still hard to swallow a lift increase however one thing that has not been discussed much is the safety factor you get out of Port Orford for not having to deal with a nasty bar at times.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #29
northriver1
Ifish Nate

Soooooo, does this mean you are going back to PO to sample the good life??

My concern is the Port increased the lift charge 100% ,,, how is the Port Manager going to make me feel better about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna29 View Post
Regarding my earlier post, well lets just say I was mostly all wet. With the exception of my personal experiences which were negative at times.

Had a very positive conversation with the Port Manager regarding my concerns. I suggest talking with him personally and I think you find it a very positive experience.

Port Orford is a unique place to fish out of. And encourage you to allow the manager to work through any concerns or issues you have.

Still hard to swallow a lift increase however one thing that has not been discussed much is the safety factor you get out of Port Orford for not having to deal with a nasty bar at times.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #30
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalibutZach View Post
Last year it cost the port $126.00 per boat, lift in and out, (1 round trip).
I'd have to see their accounting on how they came up with this "number" and would be willing to bet it's highly inflated, even if insurance is figured in.

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #31
Laguna29
Steelhead

I did not get into the rate increase on the lift. I figured that was a conversation that was not going to change and it is going to be what it is going to be. Especially since they have sold passes already, and put the new rate information out.

Will I be fishing the PO again. Probably not. I used to use their guest sling. I would have to put the side plates on my boat to use their lift now and for the few times I would run out of there it was not worth it to me.

The main thing I spoke with him about was the preferential treatment to the Commercial fleet and the friction the lift operators have caused in the past by allowing a commericial boat to cut the line in front of a sport boat that was in que to be hoisted and was there as a result of being prompt, getting up early, ect.

I have found that Bandon is a very good port. Yes the bar is something to learn, and respect. Although I really did enjoy Port Orford and the fishing oppurtunities are a great plus for the changes we apparently will have to endure to launch there.

Not trying to be a smart alec with this next comment but " When I compare that the fuel has at the very least doubled and closer to tripled over the years, when a drastic price increase is made I some how have become accepting of it and realize, I have a choice......its just another cost weighed into my hobby.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #32
Clatter
Steelhead

Someone needs to contact the Port Orford Mayor. Someone with brains needs so resolve this s..t............

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalibutZach View Post
Yesterday I received a phone call from Mr. Gary Anderson, who is the Port of Port Orford Manager. He said the reason they are raising the lift fees is strictly inflationary. The ports subsidized money is no longer available. Last year it cost the port $126.00 per boat, lift in and out, (1 round trip). They are losing money. So raising the cost to $50.00 they will still lose money????? They have high equipment repair costs, the cannery cost them $36,000.00 last year in repairs etc.

As I stated in an earlier post, I will spend my money in Bandon or Coos Bay, boat down to Port Orford and catch my fish then boat back to Bandon etc. The fuel cost to boat down there is approx. the same as the $50.00 lift fee.
Clatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:01 AM   #33
HalibutZach
Steelhead

I agree Keta, it would take an act of Congress to see their accounting procedures!!!!! When he stated to me that it costs the port $126.00 per boat, per lift last year I said, OK, you are raising the fee to $50.00, how does that help much, you are still as you say, losing $76.00 per boat. When I spoke to Mr. Anderson on the phone I definitely got the feeling that his answers were politically prepared.