Non-Shedding bird dog? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
SXS
Steelhead

Default Non-Shedding bird dog?

Is there such an animal? I recently had to put down my old GWP. He was my first pointer and I really enjoyed that style of hunting. Only problem was that he shed year around. My wife insists that dogs live inside but she didn't care for all the shed hair. She loves Airedales (so do I) but they don't make the best bird dogs.

Anyway I am wanting suggestions for my next dog.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
FireHead
Chromer

Default Re: Non-Shedding bird dog?

Labradoodle.

I would have one of those if I had not the opportunity that I did with my current dog.
FireHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Is there anyone that breeds an actual field Labradoodle? I have heard bad things.

Personally I would go with a proven sheding breed. Maybe you could talk her into a different breed if you where to say it doesn't shed as much. I have heard of a few guys pulling that off. I don't think the shorthair's shed that bad but the defiantly shed and it does get on your clothes and furniture.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
wanafish
Chromer

You might check out the Pudelpointer. This is Sargent at 18 months. A breed from the mid 1800's that was developed for that reason. A bird dog that doesn't shed.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
bpurtz
Chromer

Vizsla - not exactly zero shed, but pretty low. Mine is a decent hunter, kind of a poor retriever, not exactly thrilled with water and a bit of a pansy in cold weather, but the most lovable dog I've had.
bpurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
GoBeavs85
Steelhead

What about the Vizsla? I thought I had heard they don't shed (or almost none). They are supposed to have very little "dog" smell and I'm pretty sure you could find a hunting line. Seems like we found a breeder in WA that does hunting Vizslas and GSP.

We have an indoor living GSP and it does shed a little. The problem is the short white hairs stick really well and show up on everthing. Once the hair gets in your vehicle we have found it to be very difficult to remove. That is my wife's only complaint of Dakota. We researched Viszla's and someday we may add one as a companion for Dakota.

I don't have any first hand experience with vizslas just wanted to pass along what research I had done. They sure are pretty dogs too. Almost as pretty as our GSP
GoBeavs85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
GoBeavs85
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpurtz View Post
Vizsla - not exactly zero shed, but pretty low. Mine is a decent hunter, kind of a poor retriever, not exactly thrilled with water and a bit of a pansy in cold weather, but the most lovable dog I've had.
I don't want to hijack his thread but this peaked my interest since you have one. you say low shed. how bad does the hair show up and stick to stuff? does regular brushing help since they don't really have an undercoat?
GoBeavs85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The GWP is kinda 50/50 as far as shedding, some do, some not so much. Depends on the original genetic material retained by the individual dog starting with the breeds development. There are two separate motherlines for the GWP, split between the PP (9) and the Griffon (4)....or so

Like Wannafish says, the PP is a mild shedder but as always, there are variations within the different breeds.

The breed generally accepted as being the lightest shedder is the Griffon. My two come from completely different genetic backgrounds. The "show" dog, sheds a tiny bit. The "hunting" dog, doesn't shed at all. She's got kind of an odd coat for a Griff. It resembles a long haired shorthair with no underfur.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
bpurtz
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs85 View Post
I don't want to hijack his thread but this peaked my interest since you have one. you say low shed. how bad does the hair show up and stick to stuff? does regular brushing help since they don't really have an undercoat?
Like I said, my dog is a pansy with any cool weather. She's sitting at the door whining to come in right now. We let her stay in the house probably 90% of the time and she is free to roam throughout.

About the only place I notice dog hair is on the dark brown bean bag that she somehow claimed as her own. I never brush her, though I'll give her a bath maybe once every 2-3 months. Her coat is light in color and the hair is short which is probably why the hair she does shed is not that noticable.

A couple other notes - a Vizsla is extremely high energy - they need a lot of exercise and thrive on attention. Also - if I recall they have a low risk of hip problems.
bpurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
skijlw
Fry

My oldest son has a Pudlepointer which does not shed. I have duck hunted with the dog and as it matures should be a good hunter.
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
SXS
Steelhead

Thanks to all who responded. One thing I hadn't considered is versatility. I understand both Griffons and pudelpointers both will retrieve waterfowl. My GWP wouldn't swim. So I hunted upland birds with him and used a boat to retreive my ducks. Any opinions on Griffons and Pudelpointers as water retreivers?

Sorry for so many questions. I recently had to put my GWP down and I had resigned to no more bird dogs as I am getting old and can't hike the hills as much as I used to do. If I could get a duck dog in the deal that might just seal the deal. I am getting hopeful again.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Most gwp's do swim, you have to do a water test with a wirehair to finish master and I think senior. Some GSP's swim, mine does. Seems like the white dogs don't typically swim. I don't know of any vizlas that swim but there are some out there I am sure.
And by swim I mean retrieve ducks on the water in the winter.

Buy from parents who swim and introduce the pup to the water right and most those breeds will swim just fine.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #13
SXS
Steelhead

Thanks to all who responded. Thinking about chosing a new pup has brought me out of the grief of losing the old dog and got me thinking positive about a pup. I forgot who said: "Anybody who thinks money can't buy happiness has never bought a puppy"
Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

Our GSP didn't shed much and loved the water...but that was probably because she learned as a pup that there was something warm and feathery to reward her swim...

Pudelpointers don't shed very much at all. Nor does our small munsterlander...

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote