IFish Fishing Forum banner

The 2014 Official Willamette Spring Chinook Thread

276K views 798 replies 288 participants last post by  triggerman 
#1 · (Edited)
I, for one, rarely fish the C for Springers so here's hoping this thread sticks. If not, no worries.

Put in at Willy Park for the first time this season. Saw a weasel of all things hanging around the launch (red body, black tail; definitely not an otter). Made two passes under the power lines and headed for the west side of Ross Island. On the uphill troll I nailed a 10 lb'er (max 10 lbs, could be less) hatchery on Chartruese (Badazz) cut-plug with a bright red/pink spinner blade. No flasher. Great way to start the season; especially after last year when I didn't even see any taken. Packed it in at about 10:30; only saw one other one lost but heard of about 10 taken so they are here!

BB

And the evidence:

See less See more
#210 ·
Good for you. Im sure that I must have seen you out there yesterday as there weren't as many anglers as I thought there'd be. My wife and I had no luck' but did see 2 landed. I got a lot of hits on the fish finder. I guess that I didn't present what they wanted. Flavored cut plug herring behind a few different flashers. Better luck next time.

#211 ·
Good for you. Im sure that I must have seen you out there yesterday as there weren't as many anglers as I thought there'd be. My wife and I had no luck' but did see 2 landed. I got a lot of hits on the fish finder. I guess that I didn't present what they wanted. Flavored cut plug herring behind a few different flashers. Better luck next time.
I'd say fewer boats today at head of channel. They must have heard how dismal it was yesterday. Today was just pure luck... right place, right time, and we did not ignore what looked like the lead hitting the bottom once or twice.

#214 ·
Fished Sellwood area 7:00 - 2:30 Saturday.

VERY SLOW all day until this nice hen hit around 2:00. My twins (age 12) took care of business! Max reeled it in and Alex netted it. Three rods, herring with flasher trolled.

I saw nothing else hooked. Heard of a few caught early, and the fish checker at Willamette Park had seen three.

http://www.ifish.net/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=167225&stc=1&d=1397497625

Attachments

#217 ·
Dead slow for me and the pooch out of Willamette Park last night. Only stuck with it for a few hours dragging herring. No hits, no runs, no errors. The eagles were out, so that was fun to watch. Water looked great, but didn't see or hear of anything caught.

#218 ·
0-0 for two rods out of Fred's today. Took my little blue boat out for my first springer trip ever. I was expecting to stick to the channel but once I got out in the main Willy turned out to be a pretty easy troll. Saw three hooked two landed and one crackered off at the boat. Trolling herring brined and unbrined with a flasher 15- 20 pulls.

#224 ·
First shakedown trip of the year for me last night fishing my favorite little stretch that nobody else chooses to fish. Big motor was fussy so it was slow trek to the fishing grounds but did manage to boat 2 and lost another due to chicken fingers (literally had raw chicken breasts in hand when fish hit). The fish came unbuttoned so it wouldn't have stuck anyway, but I am blaming the chicken.

Glad to know the spot still holds fish. Was fishing water 70-100' deep out about 8-12 pulls. Herring fresh out the package with no bling.

Gorgeous night to get out on the river and glad the boat still has some good mojo. Now to figure out what is ailing the big motor.

#226 · (Edited)
Yard work lost the coin toss so I gave it 2hrs out of Willy Park around 1pm. Still slow but nice afternoon for a troll. Checker had 8 fish for 52 boats when I took out and that is diddly squat for mid April with these conditions. IMHO there are very few in the system at this time in this neck of the woods. When I left Fishorgolf was just getting started. Maybe he will chime in with a winning story later (I hope so).

#233 ·
Yard work lost the coin toss so I gave it 2hrs out of Willy Park around 1pm. Still slow but nice afternoon for a troll. Checker had 8 fish for 52 boats when I took out and that is diddly squat for mid April with these conditions. IMHO there are very few in the system at this time in this neck of the woods. When I left Fishorgolf was just getting started. Maybe he will chime in with a winning story later (I hope so).[/QUOTE

Thanks Matt.......Yep

#235 ·
Fishorgolf,

Check your PM's

Orion

#239 ·
Finally got some blood in the boat today. 4 rods trolling whole reds with flash. Mouth of the channel first pass my dads rod buries thinking sweet its goingto be a great day!!!!! Sturgeon dang who ccatches sturgeon trolling? Second pass bam bam bam fish on this time it's a nice little 10lb springer i got. My cousin tried to knock the hooks out on the net job by hitting it right in the snout but got it on second attempt. Third pass trolling next to tyee1 I was talking to our friend eddie on his boat about when he was going to catch a fish. He said he is patient and waiting for the 30lber that should hit any min. Bam bam b his rod buries as we are talking about it. Another nice little 10lber. 4 the pass had one last bait strip on tyres rod and it was time to go only witnessed 5 fish caught including mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.