IFish Fishing Forum banner

Gas attendent

5K views 78 replies 47 participants last post by  jfa686 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know how much extra are we paying per gallon to have a attendent pump our gas? I wonder when Oregon is going to give up on having gas attendents. I'm all for pumping gas in my own car, what do you guys think?

#3 ·
It created hundreds of jobs and everyone for the most part is qualified to pump gas. Gas prices are not off from states that let you pump your own. BUT!!! When I say fill it up, I mean fill it up. The nozzle will click and they call it a day, most time I still have 5 more gallons that go in.

#5 ·
Pop over to the other side of the river and see what gas costs as you pump it yourself.

I don't care how much more it costs me. It provides entry level jobs for people, it keeps the stations safer, and I don't have to smell like gas on my way to church or out to eat dinner.

If pumping your own gas is that important to you, move to WA. :wink:

#20 ·
One of the best jobs I ever had was pumping gas. Especially during the summer. But this was a time when painted on tube tops (remember those?) and VERY short mini skirts were all the fashion. :excited: That ought to be enough of a hint as to how long this was!

Those customers always got their windshield washed.......very, very slowly. :D

#23 ·
The price of gas from one state to another has more to do with state tax added for various things.

As of July 2008 Washington adds, 55.9 cpg, Oregon 43.4 and California 74.9 (figures are combined Fed, State and Local Cpg figures.

http://www.api.org/statistics/fueltaxes/

I didn't look at Diesel

#25 ·
I was at the gas station in Warrenton a few weeks back talking to a man that was standing in his boat getting things ready and waiting for gas. The "highly trained" attendant comes by my right side with the nozzle and flips up a rubber flap and inserts the nozzle into the rod holder,
(now imagine this in slow motion) as the "highly trained" attendant is grasping the handle to fill this man's boat up with several hundred gallons of highly explosive fuel in the back of his boat we both dove towards the nozzle with a long NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!:passout:

We politely explained to the young man there are two things he don't put gas in and leave it to the owners, and they are boats and Harleys.

#27 ·
I don't mind having to let a "trained Professional" pump fuel into my rig while I sit in the car/truck. I just wish said "Trained Professional" could also make change so I don't have to go inside to pay.:shrug:
Do you want "trained professional" to bring you your coffee and Pastry too?
Not all stations make you go inside to pay, pick one that does not and problem solved.:hoboy:

#29 ·
On the way home from fishing at Charleston, I stopped at a local gas station where you have the choice of self-serve or full-serve. Self-service was 10 cents cheaper than full service. The line for self-serve was long, and I was tired, so I just pulled into the full-serve. Nobody came out to help me. I went on down the road where the attendant pumped my gas for me, and the price was the same as self-serve at the other station.

#31 · (Edited)
Gas stations are every where. The benifits of having low skilled labor available to people who need it most far out weight the extra cost in having them. For rural comunitys and the inter citys some times its the only option for young folks or someone down on their luck to scrape together some money. Its a low cost employment system that is primalary funded by private funds and god forbibide a little help from the general public-Im proud of oregons fortitude to provide this most basic of needs to the people who probably need it the most:twocents:

#33 ·
Costco gas attendents are high end service attendents and are paid more than other gas station attendents.You still run your own costco card and your own debit card enter all the info (debit code & gas amount).They just stick the nozzle in and give you your receipt and your on your way!I think I can handle the nozzle and receipt part.Nice company to work for happy attendents your doing most of the work and they just :D

#36 · (Edited)
Well you must use a different Costco than I do because they take the card from me and run it. I would guess if you wanted to give them your pin for your Debit card they would be happy to put it in for you as well:bricks:
Maybe if you ask nice they will clean the trash from your car.

Yup Costco are good paid gas attendants, work very hard and very fast. I for one appreciate their hard work, most of the hold up is from the idiot who sat in line, got to the pumps, then realizes he needs his costco card and debit card and spends the next few minutes looking for it:passout:Or how about the guy who doesn't know what side his fill is on then gets out and worries about them scratching their paint because he pulled up to the wrong side:cool:. Try handing them your cards next time and I'm sure they will run them, they have lots of customers who wouldn't know a card from a receipt.
Take the attendants away and see how SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW it gets. Then the gripe would be "why don't they hire someone to do this, I'm sick of waiting in line".

Oh and maybe you hadn't noticed....Costco pays it's help well and still has some of the lowest prices around! Maybe that's why they are so busy?

#35 ·
If I have to go inside to pay because the island attendant is to stupid or not allowed receive payment at the pumps then I don't come back.

I am not interested in all the crap they have for sale inside the store, nor am I interested in listening to people carry on over their cell phones while they are watching the monitor to see who is filled and therefore ready to pay.

You are right about the safety reason for the law. Don't get me wrong, I do not mind pumping my own gas, I just think these stations that require the customer to go inside to pay are violating one of the spirits of the law and are therefore campaigning to get the law changed merely by not accepting the money at the pumps.

These places wonder why they are loosing all their business to Costco.

#37 ·
Costco changed their policy on debit card handling. they no longer enter your PIN code for you, too much of a security risk. Now if you have their new AMEX rewards card you wont have to use a PIN and can stay in your car though.

Paul
PS_ who uses an OR gas tationa nd gets their windows washed? its been months since someone washed my windshield for me.

#38 ·
Moved here a couple years ago from Idaho, and the no pumping thing certainly takes some getting used to. My biggest gripe is how long it takes someone to get out to the car. Most of the smaller stations around here only have one or two people working at a time, and when there is a long line of people you end up waiting minutes for them to get to you, when I could have been filled, paid, and on my way already. Plus, I feel super lazy just sitting there while they fill it up, even worse when they wash the windshield, because I just can't justify giving someone a tip for something I would rather just be doing myself. It's great that it creates jobs, but the safety factor thing is just laughable. If you can't safely cross the parking lot to go pay, then you probally should'nt be driving.

#42 ·
I see ZERO need for the gas attendants.

I'm not going to insult the people who do this, but there really isn't a good enough reason for me not to pump my own gas.

There are two reasons i want to pump my own...
-no waiting for attendant to pump the other cars before they get to me.
-I can always fill my tank ALL the way up...not when the thing clicks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.