Steelhead and water temp? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Capt. Jack
Steelhead

Default Steelhead and water temp?

What's up with the steelhead run?

(Is) it the water temp? Looking at the past 5 years to this date (actually to Aug. 9th) the numbers do not indicate that the water temp is the only determining factor as I have been believing. In past years the water has warmed as early as it has this year, yet the numbers are WAY down. Any ideas?

Bonneville Dam:

Year/ Count/ Temp on Aug. 8th

2002 203,885 69
2003 160,149 72
2004 132,931 72
2005 137,318 73
2006 96,831 72

43,154 behind the ten year average (about 31% down)

The following data is at The Dalles Dam:

Year/ Count/ Temp on Aug. 8th

2002 97,893 69
2003 51,972 72
2004 39,103 73
2005 46,113 72
2006 25,923 70

30,768 behind the ten year average (about 46% down)

Not: I didn't fish today and was bored, hence the number crunching.

I had been thinking about dragging a very large ice burg down from AK and parking it right above TD Dam, but would even that do any good?

Capt. Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

Default Re: Steelhead and water temp?

Interesting analysis. Seems runs are late all over the Northwest this year. Maybe it's the same here, regardless of the temp.

Wild Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Laserman
Steelhead

Is it run timming or is it the increase in gillnetting?
Laserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
timinthegorge
Ifish Nate

The numbers have been pretty good over Bonnie for the last week or so, but not over TD and JD. The fishing reports I'm getting from the Klickitat are Ok, but not great.

Where the heck are they???
Old 08-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

Charbuger????????

Old 08-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
bauer buoy
Chromer

the deschutes was at 68 degees yesterday. Too warm for the fish, they will stay in the lower river were the cool water is. The fishing has been real poor the last month, I just hope it gets better later.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
Capt. Jack
Steelhead

Quote:
the deschutes was at 68 degees yesterday. Too warm for the fish, they will stay in the lower river were the cool water is. The fishing has been real poor the last month, I just hope it gets better later.
The Deschutes or the mouth of the Deschutes? Just a couple of days ago the Deschutes was at 62 in the AM and 65 about noonish. The cooler water in the D should pull fish in like crazy......(if) they get over TD Dam.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 AM   #8
iampapajack
Steelhead

But Capt. As I've seen in years past the big water temp diff. (10 degree spread) between the Big C and the Des. seems to make the fish swim hard straight up the Des to about the 15-18 mile mark, what do you think ? Also these fish seem to get smarter and smarter and go upriver via the locks and don't get counted.That's why fish count as of 8/3 was The Dalles 21,208 John Day 22,896 .....
Just my ... Jack
Old 08-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Capt. Jack
Steelhead

'Tis true that a lot of the early season fish do shoot up the Deschutes at a faster pace....and typically are most natives.

But the count difference at TD Dam and JD Dam is another story. A lot of the counts at JD are last summer/fall fish that held in TD pool before heading over this spring.

Look at the counts up to 06/01:

TD - 2,063
JD - 3,746 These fish already in TD pool started moving over in March/April

Now jump to 8/10 and we have:

TD - 26,509
JD - 27,512 Discount the previous 3,746 and we have 23,766

Now some of these fish are turning up the Deschutes (I don't know how many, anyone that can chime in?) but the numbers seem reasonable between these 2 dams. Also have to bear in mind that, what? a week's worth of fish are still between the dams.

And I'm not sure that that many steelhead or salmon go through the locks like the shad do.

Back to the OT, it remains that the total steelhead counts for this year are still 46% down from the 10 yr. avg. at TD Dam and I don't think that it is just the water temp. As someone mentioned above, runs have been late everywhere this year, but????

Geez, my head hurts.

CJ
Old 08-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

The Deschutes typically warms up about 5 degrees during a sunny day, then cools overnight. The fish that are moving up the CR during the am likely would perceive the cooler water coming from the Deschutes then. That said, aside from those 2 really hot weeks we had in June and July, it's been a moderate summer and I don't think the difference between CR and Deschutes temp has been as prominent as in past years.