IFish Fishing Forum banner

Opinions on Thornwood Labradors ?

16K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  JasonsZ06 
#1 ·
Has anybody had experiences, good or bad, with Thornwood Labradors? I'm considering getting a chocolate pup from them. PM's are fine if you don't want to post here.

Thanks!
Jason

#5 ·
If you're willing to go to K-Falls, check out WOW Retrievers. I did quite a bit of research before deciding on our black, and Rob runs a good operation. PM me if you want more details.

Any reason for a chocolate? Some say they are mutants, and labs should be black or yellow.

#6 ·
Unless thats the only place you can find a chocolate, Why go clear to KFalls to get a lab when we have a bunch of quality breeders around the Portland/Salem area? Not trying to start anything but with the price of gas I would think twice about the drive down and back.

Get Bit

#8 ·
Kevin and Cheri Conway of Thornwood’s raise some of the finiest Labradors out there. They take breed standards seriously, but make no mistake they are hunters and it is why Kevin got into labs in the first place. They have many years of breeding top quality Labradors and yes, these labs are great hunters eventhough they come from serious conformation lines. If the sire is from their stud dog 'Chance', the retrieving instinct I have seen from his get are great. You will not go wrong with one of their dogs. Better yet, it will have a nice correct coat and look like a lab and not a greyhound with no coat.

If you want to take a look at one of Chance’s get, (a 9 month old male chocolate) give me a yell and I will get you in touch with some folks that have one in Seaside.

anyone that would like to comment on so called "show dogs" not hunting. ya'll are welcome to try to tell it to this boy here. :grin:

#9 ·
I would highly recomend them. My dog is from them. He has not had a lot of "formal" training, but he has definite instict to hunt, and he is the easiest lab I have ever worked with. And, he is not a skinny, wound up bundle of energy, that never settle down. He will go strong all day, then come home and mellow out and lay on the floor with the kids in the evening.

RF

P.S. nice looking dog Swamp Puppy!

#12 ·
Unless thats the only place you can find a chocolate, Why go clear to KFalls to get a lab when we have a bunch of quality breeders around the Portland/Salem area? Not trying to start anything but with the price of gas I would think twice about the drive down and back.

Get Bit
I'm considering them because I'd like a lab with a larger head, and muscular body. I'm not much into labs with skinny faces and skinny bodies. Also, I've received emails from people saying how calm and mild-mannered Thornwoods dogs are. For a companion that'll be around 10-15 years, I don't mind making a nice day trip south to get a good pup. I was hoping to find people who actually had their pups, and get their experiences, good and bad. So far, all the people with Thornwood dogs have nothing but good things to say about them.

#15 ·
I have one of their chocolates too. Though their dogs may look like show dogs, and they don't advertise hunters, they can and will. Mine is 11 months old and is well on his way with his training. His first dove hunt last weekend went very well, better than I expected. He is very calm and minds his manners when it is appropiate, but he makes sure he gets to say hi when someone new shows up. Basic obedience was learned by 12 weeks and needed no refresher.

I would recomend their dogs to anyone, and I am on the list for one of their 2 year olds right now. Kevin and Cheri are very nice people that deffinately know what they are doing. They don't want to their dogs to go with just anyone, either. They will ask you just as many questions as you should ask them. We looked around at several breeders, and their dogs are by far the best, IMO.

They breed the original lab that was made for water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.