IFish Fishing Forum banner

Do latex gloves help keep you warm?

15K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  KChookem 
#1 ·
Now this may seem a bit silly but please follow my reasoning. Saturday I fished for 6hrs on the NF of The Nehalem- IT WAS VERY WET AND COLD! I arrived home and wrung out my wool fingerless gloves. My fingers were "pruned" and though I could work them I was shaking on the river.
Would latex beneath wool in heavy rain situations help in the warmth area? Do you know anyone who wears wool and latex gloves? Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
I think they do. If nothing else, they prevent evaporation from cooling your hands, though they don't provide much insulation. Lately I've been wearing them under thin neoprene gloves ... pull the neoprenes off to rebait, then slip them back on. At then end of the day the neoprenes get turned inside out and thrown in the laundry to get the egg/shrimp goo out of them.

#7 ·
Yup...I kept thinking it was the egg cure that was trashing my hands. Finally figured out that the latex gloves were causing a huge reaction! Skin bubbles up, hands swell and itch for a week and then the skin peels away. Yuk :depressed:
straight wool or neoprene gloves fo me!

#10 ·
My brother gave me a pair of "water proof" gloves for Christmas. I used them on Friday. There was no rain, but they kept my hands warm while rowing the DB and they were thin enough to handle sand shrimp. I will dig through the morass of packages to find the manufacturer if your interested.

#11 ·
has anyone used the gloves they are called seal skin supposable waterproof and keep your hands warm they look like they might be a great deal for winter fishing rp

[ 12-30-2003, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Ryan Pultz ]

#12 ·
My wife is a dential assistant that alergic to latex gloves, they do make some that dont give her a rash. Be carful wearing gloves that are to tight, they my feel warm but are actually restricting blood flow. I just weat the $6 fingerless wool gloves and carry a pocker hand warmer (never seem to open them) incase my hands get cold. some hardware stores cary a cloth glove that is diped in heavy rubber, I wore them for years Ice fishing in northern Michigan, I also used them when we went smelt dipping (netting) both very cold situations but hands stayed warm. They are to heavy to fish with but Im sure they would be good rowing gloves....DJ

[ 12-30-2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: DJFISHS2XS ]

#14 ·
supposable

\Sup****"a*ble\, a. Capable of being supposed, or imagined to exist; as, that is not a supposable case

[ 12-30-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Ryan Pultz ]

#15 ·
#16 ·
Went fishing Saturday in the slushy rain and wind. I work non-latex vinyl gloves. They kept my hands dry. They were a little cold, but dry, so I didn't notice any problems. I started in the habit of wearing gloves to keep my hands from drying out and cracking and burning from the egg cures. Now I'm glad I wore them the other day. It is harder to tie up though after breaking off.

Be in the "Be like Grant" fan club.

Dry hands stay much warmer. I'm going to have to check out the other kinds of waterproof items above.

SKP :grin:

#18 ·
besides makeing off with a box from the hospital, where can I get the thick (purple/blue) latex gloves?

Contact info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#20 ·
OK Guys,

Here's the scoop. This little trick deserves the "velcro" award IMO. On cold days while egg fishing, wear your "nose pickers" (fingerless wool gloves) UNDER your Latex or Nitrile gloves.

Wool gloves stay dry all day.

No egg goo on hands or wool gloves.

Hands are warm and comfy.

Enough dexterity to tie knots without taking the Latex off.

With a little practice casting a level wind is possible.

The only time I peel the glove off is when I've got a fish on and want to thumb my spool.

Works Awesome!!

#21 ·
i would say no anless you want to have some really cold hands i have caught just as many fish with as with out.

but if your going try them from the looks of what i have seen on the river blue is the best to to have on why i have no clue

just wash your hands after you never mind

#22 ·
I have fished with guys that would never dream of touching their eggs with un-gloved hands (because of scent protection).

I have also fished with guys who always wash hands with a scent control soap (Lemon Joy) before baiting up.

I also watch a legendary egg fisherman (GA) wearing gloves, smokin' a cigarette and baiting hooks.

I can't really say I can nail a difference.

If you start with clean hands. then your hands become coated with egg goo, I imagine your hands smell like egg goo. Mine do for a day or two later.

But on those rare occasions when I have had egg goo on my hands for days on end, I find the egg cures effect (dry/stain) my hands.

Guys that do it for a living are wearing gloves as much to protect the eggs from them as protect them from the eggs IMO.

#23 ·
A lot of good information.... As someone who sells gloves for a living, I'd just add my .02 There are BIG differences between even the types of disposables listed (other than color). Vinyl, and Nitrile are the two most common alternatives to latex. But there are significant differences in the purity of various brands. Some use more plasticizers which make the gloves feel more like latex but they loose some of their toughness. Also all these gloves are available in Powdered versions or powder free. (many people have drawn a correlation of allergic reactions to the release agents and powders used). Lastly there are a variety of thicknesses available. Most Nitriles are 4 mils but you can also get 6, 8 and 11 mil gloves.
If you want to really get an idea of the differences go to a supplier that will allow you to try on and get a feel for the various products. If I'm not breaking any rules...I'd suggest Sanderson Safety (near OMSI in SE) There is a retail store that you can try the various products. also you'll find the pricing significantly better than the large National retailers.

#24 ·
I work @ a juice plant in WA and we are required to work dumping frozen fruit from barrels into a hopper on even the coldest of cold days. I use cotton glove liners under latex gloves and they seem to lock in a layer of air that keeps the hands semi-warm without getting sweaty. Now the latex is pretty flimsy for working or rowing so an additional tougher glove would be needed for rowing, and for baiting, take off the outer glove for dexterity. Be sure to take 4-5 extra latex prs. with you to last the day.

#25 ·
I once thought I was alergic to latex but turns out it's the powder they put inside to help you get them on. Same problem with condoms which explains why I never broke out in my SCUBA suit. Anyway, a couple years ago I was introduced to vinyl for both products and they work great. Excellent sensitivity too. It adds a layer and keeps me dry. So, do they insulate - yes. I keep several pair in the saddlebags of my Harley and whenever it's cold or wet they go on under my regular gloves.

I bought a box of Nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight this year and found that it keeps the fishing line from cutting through and into my cold wet fingers. I wear them under my Kenai Glacier Gloves. Wish I had a pair of Nitrile socks right now too. Should have changed into boots while chipping the ice off my walkway instead of my slippers. Stupidity strikes again.

#26 ·
Since I find latex/vinyl gloves uncomfortable, and in the way when casting (thumbing spool), rigging up etc., I wear gloves I found at Fisherman's Marine.

The brand name is Kenai, although there are several styles with that name. The ones I like are a combination fingerless glove/mitten; they are not stiff or bulky. I can have my thumb and finger tips exposed while fishing, or fold the mitten portion down, with a hand warmer inside, and warm the entire hand. The glove has neoprene (?) on the palm for good grip, and fleece elsewhere (which stays relatively warm even when wet). The World's foremost outfitter/catelog retailer also has a thinsulate & fleece "Glomitt" , although the thumb is not exposed (could be modified). My special fishing partner loves them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.