IFish Fishing Forum banner

Wild Steelhead for sale at Fred Meyer

8K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  jacksalmon 
#1 Ā·
I just went to my local Fred Meyer and they have wild steelhead for sale in their entrance. They appeared to be gillnetted columbia river summers.

Please click this link to let Fred Meyer know your thoughts on this matter.

http://www.fredmeyer.com/help/Pages/contact_us.aspx

#6 Ā·
Do what you can to change the laws.

I promise you people will buy & eat Fish legally for sale. Furthermore the damage is done long before it goes to market.

:twocents:

#7 Ā·
We as a consumer have the right to demand sustainable products to be available in our stores. We have the right to let the retailer know that we are displeased that they are selling endangered steelhead from the Columbia killed in an environmentally unsustainable manner. They do listen, trust me I spend a lot of time working in the grocery business. If we curb the demand, we can hopefully cut back the take or we can do nothing. Take your pick. :palm:

#14 Ā·
This isn't my first rodeo, I know they are Columbia summers. The quinalt fish are all winters and to my knowledge Canada doesn't allow the sale of wild steelhead either. This is a prime example of why sports fishermen lose to the commercials most of the time.

#15 Ā·
Call them and ask :wink:, I still think it's net pen stock.

it's not the first time FM and wild steelhead have been ifish news.....

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=128209

Not doubting you WRO, just looking for clarification on the topic/subject....either way sad to see Slime rocket nates in our local markets......

EDIT:
I did find this snipit posted over on piscatorial from feb.....

Fred Meyer does not sell Any ā€œWildā€ steelhead. All of our Steelhead is 100% Farm Raised and Sustainably harvested from Local NW Fishery. We donā€™t sell any of the item you list below. Which would be a Wild Steelhead. FYI on more points attached on our product. We also clearly mark in our Ads and our In-store Signing that are product is ā€œFarm Raisedā€. Please feel free to call or write me directly with any questions you have on this one and thanks for your time and your patronage.

David Sanz

Fred Meyer Service Meat and Seafood Category Manager

1-503-797-7629

David.Sanz@FredMeyer.com

#17 Ā·
In the mean time we should flame Fred Meyers and report them for illegal activities. ;)

You are totally missing the point.

Anyone remember doplhin free tuna?

The Marine Mamal Protection Act was a reaction to a public education campaign of outrage over the killing of doplhins as part of tuna harvest.

Public pressure works.

I am sure Ryan can tell a summer from a winter and a gillnet mark from a Farm raised unmarked fish.

Pacific Seafood does have an Auquaculture Operation in the upper Columbia (where they were demanding money from the feds for high water this Spring:palm:) But sounds like these are CR fish from tribal gillnets.

Legal? Yes.

Right? No.

Can we stop it? Yes, exactly how WRO is suggesting.

Ryan, do some checking on source of these fish and verify. Let me know what you find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.