IFish Fishing Forum banner

Wet or Dry Brine?

7K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  jokester 
#1 Ā·
Ever since I started fishing with a good friend of mine we have smoked fish.
But during the last 5 or so years my friend has gone to a dry brine with some sucess.
I on the other hand like to use a wet brine. I feel that I can add lots of different flavors that you cant acheive with a dry brine.
So heres the question ....which do you use and how did you come appon your recipe?

Thanks fo any info
Fishhead :grin:

#3 Ā·
Fishead, I use a dry brine. I found that I get better results because it pulls liquid out when the fish pulls in the salt and sugar. Sometimes for a little more flavor, I'll sprinkle some terriaki sauce over the fish. If you add garlic and onion, that also adds flavor. I basically experimented til I settled on a heavy coating of sea salt and approx 1/4" of brown sugar on top of the fish. Within a few hours it is a pretty soupy mixture. I mix it up and I let it sit overnight, rinse, dry and sprinkle on dill and black pepper.

#5 Ā·
I used a wet brine for over 20 years and loved it, but about 2 years ago I switcvhed to a dry brine. Pretty simple really, just do everythhing i used to with out the water. The fish will juice up and make it's own brine, the water just thins it out...........my 0,02 worth

#6 Ā·
I on the other hand like to use a wet brine. I feel that I can add lots of different flavors that you cant acheive with a dry brine.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I agree totally. In my little experience, I like a wet brine to mix the flavors. I got started smoking fish and brining about a year ago. My ex-girlfriend's dad showed me the ropes, and I really appreciate him taking the time out do do that! Ever since then, i've been mixing and matching, trying different things, and learning what works, and what doesn't! That's my story and i'm sticking to it :grin:

-jokester

#7 Ā·
I've used a wet brine for years...until a month ago. I used a dry brine recipe posted here by :bowdown: "fishisabonus". I love the flavor and the way it draws the moisture out of the fish. All of the fish I've kept recently are all smoked using the dry brine. Others I've shared the finished results with want more!! :cheers: Dennis

#8 Ā·
I've used a dry brine ever since my trip to Alaska where my buddy (Dad) and I smoked up about 30lbs of salmon. It was the best smoked fish I've ever had and everyone I gave samples to agreed. The recipe I got from a High School buddy up there. His recipe was more mass production so we tried to scale it down and I don't know if it's not quite right or if it's just because the fish we smoked up there was right out of the sea.

--PP

#9 Ā·
I have a slab in Wet brine right now but have tired both, get something that works and stay with it. Like them both, on Jerkey like the dry better fish I kind of like to use the wet to get some of the fish taste out. Who knows...if you pull out a batch and it never hits the fridge you did it right..........Ray

#10 Ā·
We have been using this one for 30 years. It will produce, without a doubt, the finest smoked fish you have ever experienced.

Granny GutZ Smoked Fish Recipe
(Family Secret)

In a new 5 gallon bucket ā€“
1 Gallon warm water
2 cups salt (I use mortonā€™s non iodized table salt)
2 Cups Brown Sugar
4 tablespoons garlic powder
8 tablespoons onion powder
2 ounce bottle of mapeline
1 Ā½ cups Karo Corn Syrup

Mix it all real good. Add trimmed filets. I like to cut fish to skin (not through) in 1 1 Ā½ inch strips. This is enough brine for a 5 rack Big Chief Smoker. Let soak 6 to 12 hours. Dry on paper towels for at least one hour. Brush with honey if you like. Pepper heavy with crushed or cracked black pepper. Preheat smoker 1 hour. Smoke fish 6 to 12 hours or until completely done. Smoking time varies depending on wind and weather.

#11 Ā·
I always used a wet brine until my last smoking experience. It was a simple dry brine, 3 parts brown sugar and 1 part sea salt. Covered the fish for about 10 hours, rinsed it off, sprinkled it with a few spices, and then smoked it (during really cold weather) for about 12 hours.

The family agreed it was the best smoked fish I have even done.

If nothing else, it seemed much simpler than dissolving the sugar and salt, cooling the brine, keeping the fish skin side up and so on.

#13 Ā·
I am not knocking the dry brine,but my results with the dry brine was way too salty for my taste.My best success has been a wet brine that I tried that Killertaylor posted that was great!It is a more mild flavored fish brine and I have eaten a lot of it.It's not that hard to mix up really.If anybody is interested in the recipe,I'll post it. :cheers:

#15 Ā·
In my experience I have found the dry brine material intensive when brining large quanities of fish (30 + lbs)
I wet brine in five gallon food grade buckets (I get mine at DQ for a buck). I have a large smoker and can smoke 4-5 buckets worth at once with no problem. Think how much brown suger , salt, etc it would take to properly coat all that fish. Wet brine saves $ on ingredients. I fill the buckets to the top with fish , mix my brine and then pour into the buckets of fish until all fish is covered.

#17 Ā·
The secret to dry brining is to soak the fish for about 8 hrs in it's own juices. Then rinse well or it will be really salty. Then let sit in the smoker for about 4 hrs. it should form a glazed look over it. Then smoke it for 6 to 8 hrs. depending on thickness. You should never let your smoker get any warmer than 140 Deg. You want to smoke it slowly. At least this is the lesson I got from my buddy in Alaska.

--PP

#18 Ā·
fishhead, You will get the results you want from either wet or dry brine.The reason I use a dry brine is that I can brine and smoke my fish the same day.You can put any kind of seasoning on the fish with the dry method.If you would like my recipe you can let me know and i,ll give it to you.It,s a great recipe. :cheers:

fish-bones :dance:

#19 Ā·
How long can you safely leave salmon at room temperature to glaze?

Do you leave the salmon in the fridge while brining overnight?

Have not smoked salmon yet and don't want to make anyone sick on my first go-around... :smile: or the latter for that matter.

StinkyH

#21 Ā·
and yes...fishisabonus's dry brine recipe is very good on sturgeon....did about 10 lbs the day before yesterday and I got a couple pieces in my lunch. The rest of it never hit the fridge

#23 Ā·
What great ideas. My last batch took about 14 hours to get done. Slow seems to be the name of this game. I vacume sealed about ten pounds for later fish trips and woofed the rest.

The question I'll leave you with is this.
Do you find it better to freeze your fish before smoking or do you think that fresh from the water is the only way to go?
I think that freezing helps when the fish is thawing and absoring the brine as it thaws.
Any ideas???

Fishhead Vic

#26 Ā·
Could someone please post a link to fishisabonus's receipe for dry brining, have tried to locate it, but so far have been unsucessful. Thanks Liv2Fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.