IFish Fishing Forum banner

How long do you stay on your coyote stand

Poll: How long do you stay on a coyote stand?

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  DAB 
#1 ·
I am trying to get an average of the length of time most coyote hunters stay on a stand.

Rusty

#4 ·
At first I would stay under 15 minutes, but I noticed I was busting some when I would get up to leave. That's when I started staying a little longer. Rarely do I stay 30 minutes though, unless I'm also targetting bobcats. Even then it's hard to stay that long.

Good poll, Rusty.

Skein

#9 ·
Like cathunter1 said, Depends on the country. I don't hunt or shoot bobcats in Oregon because the state makes it a pain to do so. Generally better than 90% of the coyotes I call in come within 1 to 7 minutes. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later but I've found that staying beyond 15 minutes seldom gets success. Of course there are the ones that hang up way out that you can see and I will stick with those until I can shoot them or they leave.

I do buy bobcat tags in California and if I'm in bobcat country I will stick it out a bit longer but seldom over 20 minutes.

Most experienced callers that I hunt with like 12 minute stands and covering more country.

#12 ·
I always say "OK, this time 20 for sure," but cannot last much past 15...on the other hand, I'm only moving a mile and a half to the next call, so can cram more calls in that way.

#15 ·
I voted 16-30 for coyotes, because I usually move on after 15-20 minutes but may stay up to 30 depending on what goes on around me.

From the limited number of coyotes I have called in that I could see, most showed up within anywhere from 1-4 minutes, to 8 or so minutes being the longest.

#16 ·
Funny.......The second day I used my ecaller was in Arizona. On the way out I was getting tangled in some sticker brush and wasn't paying attention to where I was walking. I stumbled right into a group of Javlinas. Most of them ran off but 3 or 4 of them stayed watching me. One of them was just a few feet from me and was looking at me over his shoulder. He had his hackles raised. I stood stock still for a few minutes and they all finally walked away. I thought that no way in the world would there be any coyotes left around there from all of the noise both I and the Javelinas had made. It was a long walk back to the truck through the sticker brush and I figured since I had so much time already invested I'd walk to the next wash which was only about 50 yards away and make a stand.

The only place I had to sit so I could get some height was in the direct noon sun and by now I figured I was really wasting my time but I turned on the caller anyway. Not more than 5 seconds after the caller started wailing a big coyote came up the wash and stuck his nose right on the caller. He was facing away from me. I was startled by the coyote's appearance and even more so when he stuck his nose right on the caller. I got the crosshairs on him and nailed him.

Then last Fall I took the Foxpro out on the first stand where I'd killed a few coyotes in the past. I figured the batteries would have enough charge left to finish out the day. I was wrong. I punched the remote and the caller made one cry for no more than a few seconds. I looked down at the remote and tried turning up the volume. I had my attention on the remote for a few seconds and when I realized I had dead batteries I looked up at the caller and there was a coyote standing next to it staring at me. Total time passed, 30-40 seconds. The instant I raised my rifle the coyote disappeared back into the sage brush

For me if a coyote is coming in he's usually there within the first seven minutes. But again, Cathunter1 has some good advice. Before getting up stop calling and survey your surroundings. I never carry bino's out on stand but I will look around and get up very slowly. Sometimes you will see and animal when you're standing that you couldn't see while sitting.

#17 ·
Keep the Poll going because it is bringing out some very good commenrts.

One thing I'd like to inject here is my belief that the most likely number of minutes when you have the best chance to call in a coyote is between 8 and 10. I call this the "window of opportunity". It seems that 80% of the coyotes I encounter show up within this time frame.

That said, Moe is correct when he says that it can happen a lot quicker than that. My all time shortest response time was 10 seconds on my VERY FIRST attempt to call in a coyote. Needless to say, I was not ready for this and the darn coyote ran right by me, no doubt laughing all the way!:doh:

Rusty

#20 ·
Keep the Poll going because it is bringing out some very good commenrts.

One thing I'd like to inject here is my belief that the most likely number of minutes when you have the best chance to call in a coyote is between 8 and 10. I call this the "window of opportunity". It seems that 80% of the coyotes I encounter show up within this time frame.

That said, Moe is correct when he says that it can happen a lot quicker than that. My all time shortest response time was 10 seconds on my VERY FIRST attempt to call in a coyote. Needless to say, I was not ready for this and the darn coyote ran right by me, no doubt laughing all the way!:doh:
Rusty
I can relate to that. But It was not the first time I tried calling.

RP and I had just turned the caller on and a yote came flying by us like a streak of lightning headed straight for the caller. We could have almost reached out and poked it with the barrel of the rifle it was so close. Well we did not get the yote on that set. But I did run into town and buy a cammo - ed shotgun and some 00 buck shot. We went back out and on the next set we called in another yote and I blasted it with the shotgun. :applause::applause::applause:

For me it all depends on the country I am hunting, for how long I stay on a stand.
Will stay up to about 20 or 25 minutes at the longest.
DAB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.