IFish Fishing Forum banner

Crabbing Tillamook Bay

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Reel Livin' 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an update on Tillamook bay for crabbing? Is it to dirty with all the rain? :depressed:
If so, how long does it take to clear out. Want to pick some up for the holidays.

Thanks.....GC

#2 ·
Forget about Tillamook. It'll be blown out for crabs for at least two weeks (if it stopped raining today). Try Netarts Bay instead. No freshwater (besides Whiskey Creek) to bugger it up. You will need a boat, but you must have one if you were planning on crabbing T-Bay. One last tip--try cheap chicken for bait. Lots of seals, and they avoid it (unlike the crabs) like the plague. Good Luck, and Happy Holidays!!

#3 ·
GC-

You might go ahead and take the chance with Tillamook bay. I went out as the Wilson was @ 8 ft and falling after reaching flood stage to find only 3 other boats out in the water.

My daughter and I pulled the first trap after 15 minutes to see if anything was there. In 15 minutes, I had 3 keepers and 20-30 undersize. We kept going for 2 hours and had 15 keepers, all ocean crab...

More important is the tide. I have had success at the end of either tide as long as you are approaching slack.

Be careful on Tillamook bay if you want to bring home your traps. I went out on an outgoing tide an my traps were all that were above water. Keep 50' of rope minimum, and 2 floats is preferable. Not much fun to lose your traps.

Good luck!!!!

#5 ·
Game Chaser, go for the saltiest water you can find. Up by Barview or crab harbor. The upper bay usually doesn't work when the rains are here. It sure kicked butt this summer though.

#6 ·
I was searching for some crabbing reports and thought I would bring this post back up.

With the river levels dropping, has anyone been out or observed any improvements in crabbing on Tillamook Bay?

My wife wants to have a fresh crab dinner with friends on New Year's eve. I'm planning on heading down this Sunday to have some fun and support that wish. :smile:

#7 ·
Headed down to Nehelem for the Long New Years weekend and I was also curious about any reports for Nehelem Bay crab.
I was also curious about stelehead on the N. Fork Nehelem, ( I know this is a very vague question), but can't I drive right up highway 47 from 101 and fish near the hatchery. Any quick tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, & HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

#8 ·
Ripple, I was crabbing on Nehalem Bay Monday from the State Park ramp down to about 50 yards inside the jaws. Almost no crabs and nothing approaching legal size. Only saw one other boat out even though weather was great and he got skunked,too. Guess there's still too much fresh water around.

#11 ·
Well girls and boys! I'll let the crab out of the bag. My wife and I crabbed Sunday on T-Bay. Launched at 12:00 noon and had our limit of 24 in less then 2 hours. Pulled 6 traps twice having to let a few extras go. The bait of choice was shad.
Worked the line fron the red channel marker out from the coast guard station towards crab harbor.

Was going to go back out on Monday but went after steelhead on the wilson insted ~ hooked two and landed one, a 10lb buck. Went back Christmas morning to work the same area but not a bump.

Life is GOOD!
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.