IFish Fishing Forum banner

best way to freeze crabs

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  BBQJohn 
#1 Ā·
I'v frozen crabs and it works ok for a month or so but after that they are pretty bland, Any secrets?

#6 Ā·
Check my post on 10/6/06? Lots of good ideas.

"Cooked crab freezer life?"

I think it is best to cook, cool fast, drain well, wrap in saran wrap, freeze, then vac seal.

Makes grreat sea food pasta with alfredo sauce.

Lot of recipes on the internet under "crab recipes" that questionable quality will make you look die for.

Ever have "crab puffs"? Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just our 2 cents worth.

#7 Ā·
I know it sounds like a joke, but FREEZE IN MILK. If you haven't tried it you'll be amazed. I've eaten year old Crab right out of the bag, when frozen in milk and it's :food:. Freeze Crab meat in milk. Thaw slowly and don't rinse the crab, just let it drain. IT'S GREAT!!

THIS REALLY WORKS!!!

Gotta go, Pork Chops are done!!!

#11 Ā·
OK, we'll try it!
What type of milk works best? The more cream the better?
We use nonfat but I want to try 2% or whole on the next batch to see if there is a difference. Make sure you completely cover the crab. Thaw and then drain in a colander. Don't rinse! :food:
:yeahthat:
We learned of this method a couple of years ago and found that the more cream the better...although we have not tried anything more than whole milk. The crab meat doesn't seem to take on any milk/cream flavor but it doesn't get chewy like it does when using less cream. Makes me wonder what half and half would do. :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.