Garibaldi on Monday - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
BAp
Cutthroat

Default Garibaldi on Monday

Monday, a group of us went after tuna with Captain Kelli Bestwick on the Ice Lady out of Garibaldi. It was a great day.

We were out 30 miles where the water warms up to 60 (the tuna line) and trolled flies until we found them. While the lucky angler fought the fish we threw in a few live bait to stir up the circus and cast flies to the rest of the school. They were a little scattered but we caught about 14, weighing up to about 20 lbs. Lost maybe half as many. We were using 12 weight rods and on the take some of these guys would rip off 150 yards of line. If you really put the heat to the quarry it would take 15 minutes to bring them to hand.

Flies: Small sardina and flying fish patterns. Definitely not Baja, but the fish did not seem to know that.

The seas were calm, the fish were willing and the Captain had as much fun watching us cast and catch as we did catching. A stellar day.

BAp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Doryfisher
Chromer

Default Re: Garibaldi on Monday

How fun, sounds like an awesome trip
Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Eben
Cutthroat

Question for you experts, which one would you suggest a 12 or a 14wt. for these tuna. I'd like to try it one day and am curious.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
EugeneFisher
Steelhead

Awesome, BAp! Sounds like a great trip.

Eben - If you have a choice, a 14wt would be the safer option. However, I was fortunate enough to use a 12wt Echo2 recently and can say with confidence this specific rod will handle albacore without flinching.
EugeneFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
AndyK
Fly Fisher

Smile Re: Garibaldi on Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
Question for you experts, which one would you suggest a 12 or a 14wt. for these tuna. I'd like to try it one day and am curious.

Trey Combs, in his book Bluewater Fly Fishing wrote: “For most fly fishers, the 12-weight is at just about the top end of what they can pick up, false cast, and actually make work as it was designed to work.” He says a 12-weight is an ideal choice for tuna up to 30 lbs., wahoo, dorado and a number of other fish including some billfish. He prefers a 13-weight rod for some larger species and says 14-weight and larger rods have a limited application.

I have personally found a “good quality” 12-weight good for tuna, dorado and GT. I have several 12-weight rods: a Loomis GL-3 (two piece), a Loomis Cross Current GLX and a Sage Xi3. The Loomis GL-3 may be too soft and not have the "lifting" power for heavy fish; the Cross Current GLX and Xi3 are more than adequate. They also cost a bit more.

However, if chasing billfish, I will be using something heavier…
"I thought it was pagan because in any civilized country fishing with salmon roe was outlawed a hundred years ago." Alec Jackson
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
BAp
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
It also depends on the make of the rod. I have somehow ended up with 3 12s (it happens) and each has different lifting power. Most higher weight rods U have seen tend to be shorter and harder to cast. One of our party had a ten and it took a loooong time to boat the beast.
BAp is offline   Reply With Quote